The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Just now, DevoHusker said:

We're getting weird mixed messages, likely because the economy is taking a huge hit without games, but we're also still in the middle of an epidemic. 

They've been encouraging people to treat this similar to any other game day, and come downtown to support bars & restaurants, all while the COVID dial continues to go up & up. 

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this is because Nebraska wanted fans in the stands and it was the Big Ten that said no.  So....they want to have them in Pinnacle and at least make a little money off them.

So the B1G brass decide to allow zero fans,  where most conferences are allowing 25-50% in an outdoor arena setting wearing masks, and instead force the individual schools and college towns to do something like this, indoors and no mention of attendance limits, in an effort to recoup some of their lost income :bang

9 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

So the B1G brass decide to allow zero fans,  where most conferences are allowing 25-50% in an outdoor arena setting wearing masks, and instead force the individual schools and college towns to do something like this, indoors and no mention of attendance limits, in an effort to recoup some of their lost income :bang

What I posted was simply a guess.  But.....if I'm right, you nailed it pretty much.

I believe the Big Ten said no fans because some states like Wisconsin and Michigan weren't going to allow them.  So, they didn't want a place like Nebraska to have a home field advantage so they made it a conference rule.

I was watching some NFL Sunday capacity was limited.  I didn't see a problem with it.  It's outside and it looked like the fans were social distanced and spread out around the stadium.

I don't get why the Big Ten couldn't do that.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Since PBA is owned by the city of Lincoln, does UNL even get a cut of whatever revenue they generate from this?

I'm sure UNL has something in the contract where if they use the facility, they get some form of income from it.  UNL gets income from basketball games.  Why wouldn't they get it from something like this?

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think this is because Nebraska wanted fans in the stands and it was the Big Ten that said no.  So....they want to have them in Pinnacle and at least make a little money off them.

This is probably being run by PBA/City of Lincoln and the University won't see a dime from it.  It is interesting that it does seem to fly in the face of limiting crowds/population at bars.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm sure UNL has something in the contract where if they use the facility, they get some form of income from it.  UNL gets income from basketball games.  Why wouldn't they get it from something like this?

That link shows that PBA is hosting the event, not the University or Athletic Department.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sure, for basketball games or other sports. But this isn't that, this is a watch party. UNL doesn't get a cut from watch parties at the Railyard. 

Maybe they've got some kind of arrangement, but it's hard to say. I'd think the Big Ten's "no fans" policy means UNL gets nothing, and this is just the city trying to drum up revenue for local businesses.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Sure, for basketball games or other sports. But this isn't that, this is a watch party. UNL doesn't get a cut from watch parties at the Railyard. 

Maybe they've got some kind of arrangement, but it's hard to say. I'd think the Big Ten's "no fans" policy means UNL gets nothing, and this is just the city trying to drum up revenue for local businesses.

I see this very similar to the tailgating and other events which the PBA hosts during NU football games.  The University doesn't get a cut of the revenue from those events, so I don't see the University getting a cut of this watch party.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I see this very similar to the tailgating and other events which the PBA hosts during NU football games.  The University doesn't get a cut of the revenue from those events, so I don't see the University getting a cut of this watch party.

Yep. Sucks for the university, but hopefully it puts some money in the pockets of local bars & restaurants.

(and ice cream joints - everyone hit up Ivanna Cone!)

• Plus1 1