The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask this. 

what is Biden going to do?

In my opinion, we are past the ability to have a well organized national effort.  Trump screwed it up do bad and has convinced enough people that it’s all a hoax that I just don’t see any ability to get the vast majority of Americans to go along with anything to fight it.  

The time to do that was this summer.  That ship has sailed.  

you are right...trump has poisoned the water hole and the republicans will continue to dump more poison in to keep their faithful from ever doing anything to help get this crisis under control.  

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask this. 

In my opinion, we are past the ability to have a well organized national effort.  Trump screwed it up do bad and has convinced enough people that it’s all a hoax that I just don’t see any ability to get the vast majority of Americans to go along with anything to fight it.  

I sort of agree but there is immense room for improvement going forward. The time to really address it and get out in front of it was February, March and April. That window of opportunity was squandered irreparably. But we at least will have the opportunity now for science to be listened to, repair the federal infrastructure meant to support the response and to receive more cohesive and consistent messaging from our leaders. Hopefully that will allow many to transition back to reality. The crackpots and deniers can now be marginalized rather than reinforced and supported by an inept administration.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I sort of agree but there is immense room for improvement going forward. The time to really address it and get out in front of it was February, March and April. That window of opportunity was squandered irreparably. But we at least will have the opportunity now for science to be listened to, repair the federal infrastructure meant to support the response and to receive more cohesive and consistent messaging from our leaders. Hopefully that will allow many to transition back to reality. The crackpots and deniers can now be marginalized rather than reinforced and supported by an inept administration.

One important factor will be the media. Trump will of course still be able to get his bulls#!t out to the masses, but the media better f#&%ing not give him the voice he has now.

The original thought I had was having a muzzle on Trump would help people to hear the scientists.

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Really, what can be done besides a complete and total mask law?

I'd say for starters, the CDC could have it's muzzle removed and that exact question could be asked to real experts and then a response could be evaluated, coordinated and acted on.    Further intervention will then be guided by data, while utilizing the knowledge from the years of training by the best professionals in the field.  Not the Scott Atlas's of the world.

21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let me ask this. 

Well that's why I didn't over-promise, simply suggesting Biden would come up with "a bit more cohesive" federal response. I think that would entail mostly rhetoric: supporting the scientists, urging (but not mandating) state adherence to protocols, possibly helping fund the quick turnaround COVID tests that athletes and politicians can access making them available to more people in the workforce, in education, travel, etc.  I mean, we know what lowers the infection rate and what makes it surge. Winter doesn't help things. Either President will be stuck with a bad winter. Either President will benefit from a comparatively better spring and hopefully good news on the vaccine front. 

Let's face it, the conspiracy train isn't going to stop running regardless of Tuesday's result. I've seen a lot of folk, a few here on Huskerboard, who believe COVID will rapidly decline starting November 4, because it was always a plot to get Trump out of office. 

• Plus1 1

I think Biden wins with ease and then I think he is in a bad spot.  Because what do you do about the virus?  Look at his options

Shut down again?

Masks 24/7 with enforcement?

Social distancing 24/7 with enforcement?

I mean, I don't think he can do anything that will put him in anything other than a really tough spot.

Are we going to start arresting people for not wearing masks?  I mean, he can't go that route.

I don't know what the answer is but it is such a crappy situation for him.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think Biden wins with ease and then I think he is in a bad spot.  Because what do you do about the virus?  Look at his options

Shut down again?

I mean, I don't think he can do anything that will put him in anything other than a really tough spot.

Are we going to start arresting people for not wearing masks?  I mean, he can't go that route.

It is a hard situation to go to but he won't do a worse job than Trump. Thing is he'll be attacked for it immediately on January whatever.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

It is a hard situation to go to but he won't do a worse job than Trump. Thing is he'll be attacked for it immediately on January whatever.

Well, either one of those dorks would be attacked immediately, we know that.

It would just be such a s#!tty situation to be in for Biden.

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Shut down again?

To start with, he acknowledges that it is a bad spot with no easy answers, but tell the American people that he is going to assemble teams of actual experts and listen to them, and have a "reality check" conversation with the country (whether it is an oval office address, SOTU, or just a press conference) in which we have an honest assessment of where we are.

There is going to be so much cleaning up to do from Trump's fu#kups, but it has to start with honest messaging, reliance on expertise, and acting "presidential." That in itself will be refreshing. Biden is not going to fix the pandemic, and there will be no miracle. But setting a tone of competence and honesty has to be a starting point for addressing all of Trump's messes.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Ulty said:

To start with, he acknowledges that it is a bad spot with no easy answers, but tell the American people that he is going to assemble teams of actual experts and listen to them, and have a "reality check" conversation with the country (whether it is an oval office address, SOTU, or just a press conference) in which we have an honest assessment of where we are.

There is going to be so much cleaning up to do from Trump's fu#kups, but it has to start with honest messaging, reliance on expertise, and acting "presidential." That in itself will be refreshing. Biden is not going to fix the pandemic, and there will be no miracle. But setting a tone of competence and honesty has to be a starting point for addressing all of Trump's messes.

I agree with all of that.

I remember when Barack Obama inherited the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, and less than two months after Obama was sworn in, Sean Hannity said it was time we started calling it "The Obama Economy."

Sean also hosted a prime-time special on Fox:  "Obama; the First 100 Days" featuring a video montage scored to the theme from "The Omen." 

Ipso facto, COVID-19 becomes a national crisis on Fox the moment Biden is sworn in.

• Plus1 4