The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

So it will be nice when some adults occupy the WH again.  Biden trying to set an example and also protect his own staff members.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/09/biden-covid-safety-transition-444040

Small and infrequent public events. Repeated testing of staff, reporters and the president-elect. Aides debating policies and Cabinet picks without ever meeting face-to-face. Preparations for a pared-down, mostly virtual inauguration.

Joe Biden’s team has meticulously carried the virus safety practices of his campaign over to the transition. And his staff plans to take that approach to the White House on move-in day — intent on setting a good example for the country and avoiding the dangerous and embarrassing outbreaks of Covid-19 that have infected dozens in President Donald Trump’s inner circle, most recently sickening his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani.

Because the coronavirus can linger on surfaces for multiple days, a team deployed by the General Services Administration will go over every part of the White House's East and West Wings touched by human hands in the hours after Trump departs and Biden moves in, a spokesperson from the agency confirmed to POLITICO. That includes plans to "thoroughly clean and disinfect" all furniture, doorknobs, handrails and light switches, before Biden and his team move in. Additionally, a private contractor will provide "disinfectant misting services" to clear the air of lingering droplets.

Still other changes aimed at keeping Biden and his team safe will be more cultural than logistical.

“It’ll be the polar opposite of what you’re seeing now,” said Nicole Lurie, a former HHS assistant secretary of emergency and preparedness under the Obama administration who has advised Biden’s Covid-19 response. “I think the social penalties for non-mask wearing will be great. Instead of people being ridiculed for wearing masks, they’ll be pressured in the other direction. It’ll be hard to be in a meeting and not wear a mask or social distance.”

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The number of people getting a flu vaccine this year more than doubled over last year, clearly attributable to coronavirus concerns.

That'd be me. I haven't gotten a flu shot in 10 years. Doctor told me that if I had been getting regular flu vaccinations it *could* help my immune system ward off COVID-19.

So I got a shot this year. Didn't even have any side effects. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

That'd be me. I haven't gotten a flu shot in 10 years. Doctor told me that if I had been getting regular flu vaccinations it *could* help my immune system ward off COVID-19.

So I got a shot this year. Didn't even have any side effects. 

Same here.  I figured this year it wouldn't hurt beyond the poke in the arm.  Working with a large group of people (many who have now gotten covid) I'm doing all I can to keep the flu bug away so my system can battle or keep covid at bay. 

So if millions of people aren't willing to get the vaccine, that would alleviate the potential shortage for people who want to get the vaccine.

Ignoring the children for a moment:  If grown adults refuse the vaccine, they would only be infecting fellow grown-ups that refuse the vaccine, and we get a Darwinian win/win out of this. 

Even as I type that, I'm certain I'm overlooking a crucial aspect of epidemiology. 

And of course the kids are the worst part. States and school districts will want to get involved, arguing both public health and child endangerment, and the anti-vax movement will be totally galvanized by the moment. 

• Plus1 1