The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

This is an article from the medical journal Lancet:

Real estimates of mortality following COVID-19 infection

We re-estimated mortality rates by dividing the number of deaths on a given day by the number of patients with confirmed COVID-19 infection 14 days before. On this basis, using WHO data on the cumulative number of deaths to March 1, 2020, mortality rates would be 5·6% (95% CI 5·4–5·8) for China and 15·2% (12·5–17·9) outside of China. Global mortality rates over time using a 14-day delay estimate are shown in the figure, with a curve that levels off to a rate of 5·7% (5·5–5·9), converging with the current WHO estimates. Estimates will increase if a longer delay between onset of illness and death is considered. A recent time-delay adjusted estimation indicates that mortality rate of COVID-19 could be as high as 20% in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak.6 These findings show that the current figures might underestimate the potential threat of COVID-19 in symptomatic patients.

gr1.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

To be sure, the president isn’t responsible for either the coronavirus or the disease it causes, COVID-19, and he couldn’t have stopped it from hitting our shores even if he had done everything right. Nor is it the case that the president hasn’t done anything right; in fact, his decision to implement a travel ban on China was prudent. And any narrative that attempts to pin all of the blame on Trump for the coronavirus is simply unfair. The temptation among the president’s critics to use the pandemic to get back at Trump for every bad thing he’s done should be resisted, and schadenfreude is never a good look.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/607969/

Some good points in this article, most already brought up here, but I'd say it's a little premature to call this the breaking point.  If this thing takes a sharp turn for the better, I could see it strengthening the current administration in part of the publics eyes.  However, if this continues getting worse and worse this^ article may be spot on.

• Plus1 1

I'm skeptical; I thought it would just be a national emergency declaration freeing up aid.

But I've heard that from 3 completely unrelated sources. 

I'd guess it would be full-blown quarantine with exceptions for food, drugs, etc.

4 minutes ago, QMany said:

I'm skeptical; I thought it would just be a national emergency declaration freeing up aid.

But I've heard that from 3 completely unrelated sources. 

I'd guess it would be full-blown quarantine with exceptions for food, drugs, etc.

Wow that would be a big step. But good. I have work at 4 today I wonder how that will affect that. I was already wanting to maybe call in because I have been coughing more than normal today 

Lawyer in DC:

"I work down the street from the WH and was basically told to GTFO about 20 minutes ago if I wanted to avoid the post-announcement rush. Yeah this city went from pretty chill about all of this to road warrior vibes right about noon today."