The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

14 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This is entirely where I am at. I know someone who has been fully vaccinated and has been trying to go see her mother in a nursing home for the first time in a year, the facility is also fully vaccinated workers included. They finally are letting them visit outside for an hour and they are limited to 1 hug during the hour. Idk what scientific study said that is the limit, but whatever.

I get that there still need to be some organization while opening back up and it shouldn't be a flip of the switch, but if the vaccine actually works we need to act like it does at some point and start moving past this. As more people get the shot the willingness to participate with the lockdown will decrease and I worry it may deter people from getting it if their lives won't change with or without it.

My wife's family is experiencing the same thing. Their father is in an assisted living facility.  The entire facility is vaccinated.  Even vaccinated people are not allowed to visit them...even outside.  At some point, you have to let people live.  These people don't have that much longer to live and their families want to see them before it's too late.  At some point, you have to realize the affects of not seeing family out weighs the risk of getting the virus.  What they have ended up doing is being the one to take him to Dr's appointments.  They then spend more time with him just talking.  Again, why can a family member take him to a Dr appointment but they can't even schedule a visit outside?  They are very frustrated with the facility.

At some point you start asking what's the point of the vaccination if these restrictions aren't lifted at least some.

On the flip side, my parents were just moved into an assisted living facility.  When we were getting ready to move them, we toured a couple facilities and there are no common rules at all.  We have my FIL's facility that's still on full lock down.  Another one we toured was fully open.  The one they moved into was kind of open but with lots of restrictions.  I was having a discussion with the administrator (someone I know well ) and was explaining this to her and how frustrating it is.  She was frustrated too.  She ended up calling the one that I said was wide open to find out how they are doing it.  The next day she decided to open theirs up.  She said she's been frustrated by the lack of guidance from the health department so, these facilities are having to make decisions on their own as to what to do.

6 minutes ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This is entirely where I am at. I know someone who has been fully vaccinated and has been trying to go see her mother in a nursing home for the first time in a year, the facility is also fully vaccinated workers included. They finally are letting them visit outside for an hour and they are limited to 1 hug during the hour. Idk what scientific study said that is the limit, but whatever.

I get that there still need to be some organization while opening back up and it shouldn't be a flip of the switch, but if the vaccine actually works we need to act like it does at some point and start moving past this. As more people get the shot the willingness to participate with the lockdown will decrease and I worry it may deter people from getting it if their lives won't change with or without it.

It’s also worth noting that the lockdowns originally were meant to make sure hospitals had what they needed in order to take care of a surge of patients and that capacity was not a worry.  Hospital capacity hasn’t been an issue in most places and when it was, it only lasted a brief amount of time.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

My wife's family is experiencing the same thing. Their father is in an assisted living facility.  The entire facility is vaccinated.  Even vaccinated people are not allowed to visit them...even outside.  At some point, you have to let people live.  These people don't have that much longer to live and their families want to see them before it's too late.  At some point, you have to realize the affects of not seeing family out weighs the risk of getting the virus.  

At some point you start asking what's the point of the vaccination if these restrictions aren't lifted at least some.

It’s turned into a liability issue instead of a patient safety issue in some of these cases. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s turned into a liability issue instead of a patient safety issue in some of these cases. 

That's exactly it.  These facilities are making decisions based on their own liabilities instead of what is best for the resident and families.  

This is when the health department needs to have some balls and give good guidance instead of being so scared that the absolute worst is going to happen even though everyone is vaccinated.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

You can still carry the virus even after the vaccine, correct?

No one knows because the vaccines are too new. There's concern that you can still transmit it, which is why we're seeing so many notices to continue wearing masks after you've been vaccinated.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's exactly it.  These facilities are making decisions based on their own liabilities instead of what is best for the resident and families.  

This is when the health department needs to have some balls and give good guidance instead of being so scared that the absolute worst is going to happen even though everyone is vaccinated.

This is exactly right. The other part of the decision boils down to falling risk.

If we open up our nursing facility, the risk to patients is X. If we wait another 6-8 weeks, the risk is considerably lower than X. 

So we're in this gray area right now of things are much safer than they were a month ago. But if society holds out for just another 8 weeks or so, opening back up is exponentially safer than now. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I got the vibe you were in pharm/device/med sales, this correct? How is access for you? My line of work deals directly with this and the reps I've talked to said some hospitals have used COVID to completely lock out vendors for the foreseeable future. 

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I got the vibe you were in pharm/device/med sales, this correct? How is access for you? My line of work deals directly with this and the reps I've talked to said some hospitals have used COVID to completely lock out vendors for the foreseeable future. 

All the teaching institutions I go to are open for me, surgery centers/ASC’s are open, and most private clinics are open.  Been opening more and more since last July.  
Some Omaha private clinics have been the worst though for some odd reason.  Really has nothing to do with Covid either. MO,KS,OK are all pretty much just fine. One caveat is that it’s a sub specialty so I always have more access than most others. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

All the teaching institutions I go to are open for me, surgery centers/ASC’s are open, and most private clinics are open.  Been opening more and more since last July.  
Some Omaha private clinics have been the worst though for some odd reason.  Really has nothing to do with Covid either. MO,KS,OK are all pretty much just fine. One caveat is that it’s a sub specialty so I always have more access than most others. 

Good to hear, the big  teaching hospital here was the one I heard cracked down. But it could just have been the product they were pushing. I still see plenty of reps hanging around the OR. 

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Wait, your a dude that does med sales?

That is unreal, that industry is dominated by young hotties.

Dudes and Hotties are equally represented. Lots of former athletes in that line of work. 

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Good to hear, the big  teaching hospital here was the one I heard cracked down. But it could just have been the product they were pushing. I still see plenty of reps hanging around the OR. 

Dudes and Hotties are equally represented. Lots of former athletes in that line of work. 

Ahhhh, that is right!  I did not think of them as well.

What % of hot lady drug reps end up marrying doctors?