The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

54 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I really do think that one day scientists will find out that basically everyone had it.  It just doesn't make sense.

They have said that all the Covid virus particles in the world could fit into a Coke can.  Which means masks don't do much and no one wears shields.  If it is as contagious as they say, then every kid in every school has had it, period.  Which means every teacher has had it, period.  

Masks don't catch individual Covid virus particles.  But that's okay because your body doesn't shoot out a stream of individual Covid virus particles.  The cloth cuts down on the vapor from your breath that the Covid particles ride on.  Not 100%.  But better than nothing.    /jmho     

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, NUance said:

Masks don't catch individual Covid virus particles.  But that's okay because your body doesn't shoot out a stream of individual Covid virus particles.  The cloth cuts down on the vapor from your breath that the Covid particles ride on.  Not 100%.  But better than nothing.    /jmho     

Oh yeah, for sure it is better than nothing but clearly it is not all that great.  Shields are the way to go but no one wears that s#!t.

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Oh yeah, for sure it is better than nothing but clearly it is not all that great.  Shields are the way to go but no one wears that s#!t.

This is so wrong.  You're not teaching virology are you? :)

First, masks need to be worn properly to maximize effectiveness.  They need to be sealed off as much as possible. Operator error seems to be the biggest issue.  This nonsense that masks aren't effective is so tiring it's not even worth linking all the data yet again.  Obviously nobody reads that but instead listens to what their Facebook bros say. Can you seal off a face shield?

Secondly, the most effective masks (i.e. N95) are so due to the static electrical charge of the material traps virus particles.  Polypropylene masks can do the same. So if you can't get N95 look into the polypro masks.  Layered is even better.  

A face shield is only to be used to add protection not be a stand alone.  They can catch any airborne virus particles.  

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

546 cases and 22 deaths...

People did think about it.  And a death rate of 4% of cases scared the s#!t out of them.

Only those with a fully developed prefrontal cortex.  The others were seen unmasked at Trump rallies.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

This is so wrong.  You're not teaching virology are you? :)

First, masks need to be worn properly to maximize effectiveness.  They need to be sealed off as much as possible. Operator error seems to be the biggest issue.  This nonsense that masks aren't effective is so tiring it's not even worth linking all the data yet again.  Obviously nobody reads that but instead listens to what their Facebook bros say. Can you seal off a face shield?

Secondly, the most effective masks (i.e. N95) are so due to the static electrical charge of the material traps virus particles.  Polypropylene masks can do the same. So if you can't get N95 look into the polypro masks.  Layered is even better.  

A face shield is only to be used to add protection not be a stand alone.  They can catch any airborne virus particles.  

You are not understanding what I am saying.

Masks don't work well because, like you said, no one uses them correctly.  Also, people with masks on think that they can be on top of each other and NO ONE keeps the mask on 100% of the time.  

And no one uses the N95 mask.  They are too busy wearing their Husker masks.

L:ook, if we were all wearing hazmat suits it would be fine, but no one is doing that.  The masks "work" but the masks cleary don't work with how they are used.  

So you don't need to link anything because there is nothing to link.  It would be like linking something about how seatbelts work but everyone using a seatbelt was just holding it across their body instead of clicking it.  

But we are saying the same thing, masks don't work because we suck at using the right ones (the gaiters suck I guess) and we don't use them correctly.  

And I don't have facebook.  But if I did, I like to think I would have a lot of friends!

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Why does this remind me of this song?

EDIT - I forgot how hot Sting was in the 80s. But Andy Summers & Stuart Copeland... meh

Ha!

It is like WHAM...George Micheal is like a model...and Andrew Ridgley is just handsome.

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Which is the time period funhuskers post referred to that you replied to with your “gotcha” 

The people who I referred to never did understand the danger so that time frame continues to this day.  The people you referred to understood it soon after the photo in your gotcha post.  Big difference.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

You are not understanding what I am saying.

Masks don't work well because, like you said, no one uses them correctly.  Also, people with masks on think that they can be on top of each other and NO ONE keeps the mask on 100% of the time.  

And no one uses the N95 mask.  They are too busy wearing their Husker masks.

L:ook, if we were all wearing hazmat suits it would be fine, but no one is doing that.  The masks "work" but the masks cleary don't work with how they are used.  

So you don't need to link anything because there is nothing to link.  It would be like linking something about how seatbelts work but everyone using a seatbelt was just holding it across their body instead of clicking it.  

But we are saying the same thing, masks don't work because we suck at using the right ones (the gaiters suck I guess) and we don't use them correctly.  

And I don't have facebook.  But if I did, I like to think I would have a lot of friends!

Got it.  Apologies for the snippy post.