The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2020.306130

"Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest"

Hmmm... seems like this keeps coming up surrounding DeathSantis.  I wonder why Florida would undercount deaths.  Unless, despite what we know about how this virus spreads, that the administration there would choose to deny the science.  Deadly if true.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

There is a very simple solution for you. Nobody is holding a gun to your head for your vaccine records. If you don't want to acquire or show it to anyone, don't. It is your decision. If the business where you refuse to provide it doesn't allow you to shop or use their services, that is their decision. Free enterprise man.

Ya man like totally

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Kids can’t get Covid shots so there’s that.

you do know that they have had to have a vaccination records long before covid reared it's ugly head.   right?    but....i suspect you already knew that but wanted to give a glib response.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, commando said:

you do know that they have had to have a vaccination records long before covid reared it's ugly head.   right?    but....i suspect you already knew that but wanted to give a glib response.

You do know that you don’t have to carry around a vaccine record with you.  Right?  But I suspect you already knew that but wanted to give a glib response

• Plus1 2
Just now, Archy1221 said:

You do know that you don’t have to carry around a vaccine record with you.  Right?  But I suspect you already knew that but wanted to give a glib response

parents have to provide them when the kids are enrolled.    they even have to provide vaccination records to my wife when kids are enrolled in her daycare.   it isn't a joke like you think it is.   

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

You have to carry a shirt around with you, and shoes, to enter most places. Does that bunch your jimmies too?

You carry your phone, which gives away reams of data about you, are you outraged about that, too?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Is that lady on crack? 540,000 people - and counting - are dead and she's upset that news coverage of the pandemic was "negative?"

I don't know/read her on the regular, so I am unsure of her "adult recreation of choice". It was posted in our local paper, and I thought it was an interesting read. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

The perspective that, regardless of topic, today's media trends towards the negative...and as consumers, we lap it up. 

to be fair...i don't really find many positives (as a matter of fact...i find 0 positives) about over 500,000 dead people in a year from covid.   it is very easy to find a lot of negatives about the situation.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

The perspective that, regardless of topic, today's media trends towards the negative...and as consumers, we lap it up. 

I felt it pandered to an audience who laps up condemnation of the media. I found it to be particularly obtuse in the face of half a million deaths.

• Plus1 2
Just now, commando said:

to be fair...i don't really find many positives (as a matter of fact...i find 0 positives) about over 500,000 dead people in a year from covid.   it is very easy to find a lot of negatives about the situation.

One wonders what positive coverage about a global pandemic that shattered our way of life we should have been given. I mean, every time there was a glimmer of hope, that same media she bags on published it. It's just that there wasn't much hope until the vaccines came out.

The piece is sparse on detail of what she thinks would have better served the audience. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I felt it pandered to an audience who laps up condemnation of the media. I found it to be particularly obtuse in the face of half a million deaths.

Fair enough. 

When I am home at 5:30, I watch David Muir on ABC. I have often noted, even before the pandemic, that 28 minutes of coverage are predominately negative. Then, the last 2 minutes, they throw in a feel good story or something of positive human interest. I get that in the past year there has been a focus on COVID and ousting Trump. 

30 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2020.306130

"Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest"

Hmmm... seems like this keeps coming up surrounding DeathSantis.  I wonder why Florida would undercount deaths.  Unless, despite what we know about how this virus spreads, that the administration there would choose to deny the science.  Deadly if true.

This is the case across the board. Deaths are likely being undercounted everywhere. I’m no fan of DeSantis, but you seem to really want there to be clear evidence that Florida has fared much worse than other places. The data is unclear at this point, and it will likely take a long time for us to figure out exactly what was successful or not region to region. 

• Plus1 1