The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, NBC... these are not homogenous news sources. They don't cover the same news in the same way, so if we're calling them "the MSM" that's kind of a misnomer, isn't it?

These news organizations cover the same stories in the exact same way with the exact same slant. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
On 3/30/2021 at 12:35 PM, Scarlet said:

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2020.306130

"Total deaths are significantly higher than historical trends in Florida even when accounting for COVID-19–related deaths. The impact of COVID-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official COVID-19 data suggest"

Hmmm... seems like this keeps coming up surrounding DeathSantis.  I wonder why Florida would undercount deaths.  Unless, despite what we know about how this virus spreads, that the administration there would choose to deny the science.  Deadly if true.

However, Moosa Tatar, the lead author of the study Nazaryan cited, told NRO his work had been misrepresented. “The impact of Covid-19 on mortality is significantly greater than the official Covid-19 data suggest,” Tatar said. “But we need further research to determine specific reasons for this. These deaths may have been directly or indirectly associated with COVID-19.”

“You could’ve never gotten the coronavirus, delayed needed health care, and died from diabetes-related complications,” Jason Salemi, an epidemiologist at the University of South Florida, told Yahoo. “That’s still indirectly tied to the pandemic. I do

“You could’ve never gotten the coronavirus, delayed needed health care, and died from diabetes-related complications,” Jason Salemi, an epidemiologist at the University of South Florida, told Yahoo. “That’s still indirectly tied to the pandemic. I don’t think there’s anything egregious going on with the data. I would know. I am just constantly in these data.”

Asked whether there was a reason to doubt Florida’s numbers, Lauren Rossen, a statistician at the National Center for Health Statistics at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, concurred, telling Yahoo, “Florida doesn’t stand out to me.”

https://www.mediaite.com/news/covid-study-author-accuses-yahoo-of-misrepresenting-his-findings-in-story-about-florida/

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, commando said:

don't they know that the only way to stop this virus is to open everything up and end mask mandates?   

I believe there was a plan to air drop QAnon How to Beat COVID pamphlets into France this spring but, alas, the whole leadership change put the plan to pasture.

Thanks Obama.

But in all seriousness, critics are saying Macron and the government have bumbled their approach to COVID. Vaccine plans/rollouts have come under a lot of criticism and they've tried to do more regional approaches to COVID mitigation as opposed to nationwide strategies like other European countries have implemented.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I was reading this thread, I kept thinking to myself, what positive news stories could have been told last summer about the pandemic?  I fail to come up with something.

Also, how many more covidiots would have we had if 50% of the pandemic stories were "feel good"?

I think 'positive' and 'negative' are the wrong adjectives.  I've had a serious problem with the media coverage during the pandemic, but not because they haven't been more positive.  My issue is the apparent giddiness at which modern media leads with 'worst case scenario' stories.  I think back to when there were 50 stories about how COVID was re-infecting people immediately after they recovered, and when it turned out to be untrue, it was like a page 12 retraction.  And when there is some glimmer of optimism, like how we're learning that transmission from vaccinated people is unlikely...it has to be qualified with 'but there are still a lot of unknowns'.  So on one hand, it's okay to be bold as long as you're erring on the most horrific side of any subject, but we have to qualify every single piece of optimism.  Not to mention that every scribe is now an amateur statistician, free to draw any conclusion they wish by interpolating/extrapolating numbers to their heart's content.

Pandemic reporting is just an example.  It's been this way for a long time.  Could be just me, but I don't remember reading words like 'epic' and 'apocalyptic' in weather reports 15 years ago.

As an aside, I've actually enjoyed reading The Atlantic's coverage during the past year.  They spearheaded the COVID Tracking project that compiled the raw data since the pandemic began (ended on March 7th).  They also have some really well-written, measured articles that I think attempt to tell the story.  Stands out to me in this era of hot-take journalism.

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Geez. I wonder why these strict lockdowns aren’t solving their problem? 

medically it seems to defy logic that taking precautions to stop the virus actually speeds it up.  is that the take we are suppose to take from your post?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

I believe there was a plan to air drop QAnon How to Beat COVID pamphlets into France this spring but, alas, the whole leadership change put the plan to pasture.

Thanks Obama.

But in all seriousness, critics are saying Macron and the government have bumbled their approach to COVID. Vaccine plans/rollouts have come under a lot of criticism and they've tried to do more regional approaches to COVID mitigation as opposed to nationwide strategies like other European countries have implemented.

regional approaches?  kind of like the united states with every state on it's own to develop their own approach?  

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

You can take from my post exactly what is written. Nothing more nothing less. 

you are implying that strict measures don't help.    and bragging that texas avoiding all mitigation is the proper path.  is that right?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2