The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

On 4/3/2021 at 10:48 PM, knapplc said:

And Rand Paul speaks out against that, and we're supposed to address that soberly because of what now?

It's really easy to see the how the Covid numbers have increased and decreased regardless of whether municipalities, cities, regions, etc. have mask mandates in place, and how many places saw dramatic increases in Covid numbers after mask mandates were made.

Have surgeons been wearing masks in vain for more than 100 years?

No. They've been wearing them to stop the spread of bacteria, not viruses.  This is coming from multiple doctors (those who actually treat patients) I've heard from.

If masks really do work, can you explain how you contracted the Vid?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I don’t think anyone expected the Easter number to be the peak.  Posted it more cause if two notes...1) the low is a 1 year low which is noteworthy and the chart is a falling knife chart which is awesome when accounting for Covid daily deaths 

I think on Thanksgiving my county (over a million residents) posted zero new cases and deaths, and I jokingly announced that we finally beat this thing.

I agree that it's very notable that deaths have dramatically declined these past two months, even while new cases have not really declined. It's alarming to me that cases have not declined despite 20% of our population now being fully vaccinated (with tens of millions more partially vaccinated), but it should seem that the vaccine is effective at keeping people alive.

Still not done though. Wear a mask and convince everyone you know to get a shot. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I think on Thanksgiving my county (over a million residents) posted zero new cases and deaths, and I jokingly announced that we finally beat this thing.

I agree that it's very notable that deaths have dramatically declined these past two months, even while new cases have not really declined. It's alarming to me that cases have not declined despite 20% of our population now being fully vaccinated (with tens of millions more partially vaccinated), but it should seem that the vaccine is effective at keeping people alive.

Still not done though. Wear a mask and convince everyone you know to get a shot. 

I think it's the combination of old people being vaccinated and not getting it or not getting symptoms bad enough to get tested, and younger people not taking it as seriously anymore. So more younger people are getting it but they're a lot less likely to die.

4 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

It's really easy to see the how the Covid numbers have increased and decreased regardless of whether municipalities, cities, regions, etc. have mask mandates in place, and how many places saw dramatic increases in Covid numbers after mask mandates were made.

No. They've been wearing them to stop the spread of bacteria, not viruses.  This is coming from multiple doctors (those who actually treat patients) I've heard from.

What?  :lol:

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, ScarletRevival said:

Masks are meant to stop you from spreading it, although they do help in some capacity in preventing infection. 

Furthermore, stop acting like masks are 100% effective, they aren't. They simply reduce the risk of spreading the virus by a small amount. It's like wearing a seat belt. They are meant to reduce the odds of death/serious injury, but it is still possible for that to happen even when wearing one.

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Masks are meant to stop you from spreading it, although they do help in some capacity in preventing infection. 

Furthermore, stop acting like masks are 100% effective, they aren't. They simply reduce the risk of spreading the virus by a small amount. It's like wearing a seat belt. They are meant to reduce the odds of death/serious injury, but it is still possible for that to happen even when wearing one.

Next you're going to tell me birth control isn't 100% effective.

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2021 at 9:57 PM, knapplc said:

What?  :lol:

What clarification do you need, I was extremely straight forward.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:10 AM, Dr. Strangelove said:

Furthermore, stop acting like masks are 100% effective, they aren't. They simply reduce the risk of spreading the virus by a small amount. 

So you're saying they are basically worthless, and I agree with you. Covid rates pre and post mask mandates back that up.

After a bit more thought, I was thinking back pre-Covid to when I would go seek medical help for chronic upper respiratory illnesses. For a stretch of about 8 to 10 years, I made dozens of trips including at least 2 times in which I exhibited flu-like symptoms.

Not ONE time did the medical staff require or request that I wear a mask, nor did any of the nurses or doctors who checked me out or ran test on me wear a mask.

Not one time.

That's how much the actual medical professionals who actually treat patients feel that masks are worthwhile in stopping the spread of respiratory viruses. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ScarletRevival said:

What clarification do you need, I was extremely straight forward.

So you're saying they are basically worthless, and I agree with you. Covid rates pre and post mask mandates back that up.

After a bit more thought, I was thinking back pre-Covid to when I would go seek medical help for chronic upper respiratory illnesses. For a stretch of about 8 to 10 years, I made dozens of trips including at least 2 times in which I exhibited flu-like symptoms.

Not ONE time did the medical staff require or request that I wear a mask, nor did any of the nurses or doctors who checked me out or ran test on me wear a mask.

Not one time.

That's how much the actual medical professionals who actually treat patients feel that masks are worthwhile in stopping the spread of respiratory viruses. 

Our pediatrician's office always had masks for people to wear in the waiting room if they were coughing or showing other symptoms.  It was a courtesy, but they were definitely available.

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Our pediatrician's office always had masks for people to wear in the waiting room if they were coughing or showing other symptoms.  It was a courtesy, but they were definitely available.

Not doubting you at all. But I would wager that your experience is in the minority. 

3 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Not doubting you at all. But I would wager that your experience is in the minority. 

Out here in the boonies, our doctor's office had signs that stated if you were coughing, had fever, or suspected you may have influenza you had to wear a mask in order to be seen, as far back as I can remember. 

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Out here in the boonies, our doctor's office had signs that stated if you were coughing, had fever, or suspected you may have influenza you had to wear a mask in order to be seen, as far back as I can remember. 

As does both my primary care, my wife's primary care, and our pediatrician.