The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Can’t remember where people initially reported this story.  I had almost forgotten about it since it crashes and burned, but here is more background on the false attempt to smear the Florida government last year.  

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rebekah-jones-covid-whistleblower-wasn-103039488.html

I hope she suffers the fate of all those who advance false conspiracy theories. 

Of course the Florida situation remains a tad more complicated than The Nation's attempt to put it all to bed:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/03/florida-covid-19-deaths

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/9/22166012/florida-raid-rebekah-jones-covid-19-data-dashboard

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Amen...with that said I almost feel like it will be weird to be out without a mask.

We have two weeks of school left.

I hope we continue to mask, social distance, and every other pain in the a$$ thing we love to complain about for the next 10 days.

Going back to "normal" at this point in the school year is a dangerous game I don't feel like playing.  It would be absolute chaos!

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I hope she suffers the fate of all those who advance false conspiracy theories. 

Of course the Florida situation remains a tad more complicated than The Nation's attempt to put it all to bed:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/03/florida-covid-19-deaths

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/9/22166012/florida-raid-rebekah-jones-covid-19-data-dashboard

I don't doubt deaths are likely undercounted, but I still don't see why this is a Florida thing.  It appears to be a question across the board, and boils down to various opinions about what is responsible for the excess in deaths we've seen in the past 14 months.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

We have two weeks of school left.

I hope we continue to mask, social distance, and every other pain in the a$$ thing we love to complain about for the next 10 days.

Going back to "normal" at this point in the school year is a dangerous game I don't feel like playing.  It would be absolute chaos!

Yeah we are all masked up and distancing for the rest of the year.  I teach summer school and I am not sure what the plan is for that.

9 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I don't doubt deaths are likely undercounted, but I still don't see why this is a Florida thing.  It appears to be a question across the board, and boils down to various opinions about what is responsible for the excess in deaths we've seen in the past 14 months.

Well Florida is kind of a thing all by itself. 

No doubt undercounts and confusion and inconsistency can be found in every state. Florida probably got a little extra heat on this one for past performance, including the previous Governor prohibiting the words "climate change" in any state report, even the ones dealing apolitically with issues like sinkholes and rising water lines. 

Florida is the mayor of Amity Island, insisting the water is safe for the big holiday weekend.

c15b72da0b77c5855cbdcc193995fb15.jpg.6fc277e1bd36c118c53aa519384b5855.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well Florida is kind of a thing all by itself. 

No doubt undercounts and confusion and inconsistency can be found in every state. Florida probably got a little extra heat on this one for past performance, including the previous Governor prohibiting the words "climate change" in any state report, even the ones dealing apolitically with issues like sinkholes and rising water lines. 

Florida is the mayor of Amity Island, insisting the water is safe for the big holiday weekend.

c15b72da0b77c5855cbdcc193995fb15.jpg.6fc277e1bd36c118c53aa519384b5855.jpg

Great comparison, and I agree.  Desantis has been reckless.  Find it especially hilarious that he pulls rank to decide what's best for his state, and then turns around and prevents individual municipalities from doing the same thing.

30 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Great comparison, and I agree.  Desantis has been reckless.  Find it especially hilarious that he pulls rank to decide what's best for his state, and then turns around and prevents individual municipalities from doing the same thing.

How has he been reckless?  

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

How has he been reckless?  

Fair question. Just my opinion. I haven’t noticed the governor doing anything other than pushing for business as usual since September.  I feel it’s out of line to restrict local governments from instituting safety measures. 

That being said, Florida has not been the train wreck that people were predicting, statistically. But that alone doesn’t prove  Desantis has governed responsibly. 

• Plus1 3

https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-releases/2021/as-cases-spread-across-us-last-year-pattern-emerged-suggesting-link-between-governors-party-affiliation-and-covid-19-case-and-death-numbers.html

"The researchers were aware that many other factors, including the natural progression of the pandemic from early waves in urban areas, such as New York City and Seattle, to later waves in rural areas, might have contributed to differences between Republican- and Democrat-led states. However, they attempted to correct for these confounding factors in their analysis.

Their findings, even when factoring in these confounders, revealed a clear pattern in which Democrat-led states were hardest-hit early in the pandemic, but after a few months Republican-led states on average began to have more positive tests, COVID-19 cases, and more COVID-19 deaths. The transition occurred for testing-positivity on May 30, for COVID-19 case diagnoses on June 3, and for COVID-19 deaths on July 4. The differences between the two groups of states peaked in the period from late June to early August—for example, on August 5 the relative risk of dying of COVID-19 was 1.8 times higher in GOP-led states."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1