The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I'm not sure this is constitutional but pfffttt, who cares about that? To me it seems like a good idea.  Government interference into how a business operates all while ensuring the spread of Covid continues.

Signed,

Grim Reaper 

This is such an incredibly stupid thing for DeSantis to do.   In no way do we want this guy running our country some day.  

• Plus1 3

35 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

It’s a mind numbing move. Norwegian is already working to avoid porting in Florida over this stuff.  Might see a lot more cruises taking off from Puerto Rico or New Orleans this year as a result.  Can’t imagine businesses in Miami, Tampa, Ft Lauderdale are going to be too thrilled if that happens. 

Agree.  If a private business wants to have a vaccine mandate in place, I don’t really see what’s wrong with that even though it will eventually become a  moot point. Gov mandate would be different. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Don’t care much for the commentary at this point, but the email is fascinating.  I’m sure much more to come on what the scientists truly thought. 

Not sure why the email is so interesting for people who are trying to find fault in Fauci.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Don’t care much for the commentary at this point, but the email is fascinating.  I’m sure much more to come on what the scientists truly thought. 

What a dumb tweet. How does an email with zero words from Fauci show he "knew, worried, then lied"? And what did he know? That less than 0.1% of the virus needed to be analyzed further to rule out it was engineered? Fauci has said the origins need to be investigated, but it would be pretty irresponsible for him to flat out accuse a country for engineering a pandemic without knowing. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What a dumb tweet. How does an email with zero words from Fauci show he "knew, worried, then lied"? And what did he know? That less than 0.1% of the virus needed to be analyzed further to rule out it was engineered? Fauci has said the origins need to be investigated, but it would be pretty irresponsible for him to flat out accuse a country for engineering a pandemic without knowing. 

"This looks a little odd, but we have to do a bunch more research before coming to any kind of conclusion" is one hell of a thin scaffold on which to hang Fauci, but that hasn't stopped the right-wingers from hating him before so... 

• Plus1 4
49 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Which is why I said I didn’t care for the commentary:dunno    The gain of function story (or possible story) could be explosive if it turns out to have some “there” there.  

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good reminder.  Now let’s look at all the communication with Peter Daszak and Fauci.  What was the NIH role in gain of function research at WIV?  Fauci has claimed none.  Why would Daszak completely discount a lab leak theory 1 month into this?  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30418-9/fulltext

You'll have to explain more.  I'm failing to see how this document is some form of "gotcha".  

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good reminder.  Now let’s look at all the communication with Peter Daszak and Fauci.  What was the NIH role in gain of function research at WIV?  Fauci has claimed none.  Why would Daszak completely discount a lab leak theory 1 month into this?  

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30418-9/fulltext

We need to differentiate lab leak vs man-made. In this statement Daszak says the virus IS natural in origin, so he is discounting the virus being manmade. That doesn't mean there wasn't a lab leak. What if they were studying a natural virus, were being careless in the lab, and the lab was ground zero for the outbreak. Like in all aspects of life people only consider the two extremes. China had nothing to do with this, it just poof happened or China made a virus in a lab to destroy the world. Maybe, just maybe they were just studying a virus (as scientists do) and due to carelessness, said virus escaped the lab. In the end I tend to agree with Fauci when he says he believes the virus is naturally occurring but an investigation would be beneficial to get to the bottom of exactly what happened. 

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

We need to differentiate lab leak vs man-made.

Gain of function would be man made.  I don’t think that is discounted yet, though maybe I missed something that came out recently. 
WIV could have been working on bat coronavirus gain of function research and it accidentally leaked out.  Both things could be true and both could be untrue.  To discount it one month in seems like a bold statement, especially considering the recent developments and lack of animal host origin at the moment 

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Gain of function would be man made.  I don’t think that is discounted yet, though maybe I missed something that came out recently. 
WIV could have been working on bat coronavirus gain of function research and it accidentally leaked out.  Both things could be true and both could be untrue.  To discount it one month in seems like a bold statement, especially considering the recent developments and lack of animal host origin at the moment 

Seems like Daszak was quick to comment as he has ties to the lab, his comments were premature. Then he thanked Fauci for defending him, where I think Fauci was just giving his opinion on origin from the research he had seen. Fauci has since said he thinks the virus was natural but is open to an investigation.