The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Good people.  Screaming at the top of their lungs to create a scandal in order to make their failed leader look better I guess.  Then top it all off with what appears to be a veiled threat about killing a public servant.  MAGA

• Plus1 1

The people trying to dunk on Fauci are really doing a disservice to humanity, (not that they care) by not understanding the scientific process and realizing that as knowledge of a phenomenon evolves so do the conclusions.  Or they should.   Digging for a gotcha moment from the early phases of this process is just political folly.  Twisting the science into a political narrative costs lives.  But it's apparent a lot of people don't care.  

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/06/scicheck-viral-posts-pundits-distort-fauci-emails/

"The posts and commentary point to the Jan. 31, 2020, email as proof that “Fauci knew the virus was likely engineered,” as one Facebook post puts it, or that something suspicious happened regarding an analysis published by Andersen and other scientists weeks later, concluding that “SARS-CoV-2 is not a laboratory construct or a purposefully manipulated virus.” PolitiFact wrote about another Facebook post, which is no longer available, that claimed: “Fauci’s fellow scientist could tell early on that the (coronavirus) looked manufactured.”"

"But Andersen said the email shows “a clear example of the scientific process.” In his June 1 tweet, Andersen said, “As I have said many times, we seriously considered a lab leak a possibility. However, significant new data, extensive analyses, and many discussions led to the conclusions in our paper.”

"So, Andersen said that there were “unusual features” of “a really small part of the genome” of the coronavirus that “(potentially) look engineered.” But he said that more analysis was necessary and his opinions “could still change.”

That’s exactly what happened, Andersen said on Twitter.  On March 17, 2020, Nature Medicine published an article by Andersen and other scientists on the origins of the coronavirus. “Here we review what can be deduced about the origin of SARS-CoV-2 from comparative analysis of genomic data,” they wrote. They determined the virus likely originated through “natural selection in an animal host before zoonotic transfer,” or “natural selection in humans following zoonotic transfer.” They said they “do not believe that any type of laboratory-based scenario is plausible,” because they “observed all notable SARS-CoV-2 features … in related coronaviruses in nature.”

But Andersen and his colleagues noted that “it is currently impossible to prove or disprove” the theories of origin they described. “More scientific data could swing the balance of evidence to favor one hypothesis over another. Obtaining related viral sequences from animal sources would be the most definitive way of revealing viral origins.”

"Andersen said there was nothing mysterious about the change of his earlier opinion, nor was it a “massive cover-up” as one Australian journalist alleged on Twitter. “It’s just science. Boring, I know, but it’s quite a helpful thing to have in times of uncertainty,” 

“This is a textbook example of the scientific method where a preliminary hypothesis is rejected in favor of a competing hypothesis as more data become available and analyses are completed,” he said.

"The zoonotic transfer theory, which Fauci says he believes is “most likely,” hasn’t been proven, nor have theories of a lab accident. But there have been many calls for more investigation, including by Fauci himself"

• Thanks 1

Fauci said his NIH did not fund gain of function research, that will soon be verified or disproven.   Fauci also ignorantly trusted China scientists to be truthful.  

Fauci is an institutionalist, and one bad thing about institutionalists is they always seem to want to protect the institution they serve even in the face of damning information.  I believe Fauci genuinely cares about saving lives as much as anyone else, but I also believe he cares about protecting the NIH and those related to NIH from bad publicity (that could be warranted) out of fear it will harm those institutions. 

There was no reason to dismiss the lab leak theory publicly until the natural zoonotic origin was proven.  

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Fauci said his NIH did not fund gain of function research, that will soon be verified or disproven.   Fauci also ignorantly trusted China scientists to be truthful.  

Fauci is an institutionalist, and one bad thing about institutionalists is they always seem to want to protect the institution they serve even in the face of damning information.  I believe Fauci genuinely cares about saving lives as much as anyone else, but I also believe he cares about protecting the NIH and those related to NIH from bad publicity (that could be warranted) out of fear it will harm those institutions. 

There was no reason to dismiss the lab leak theory publicly until the natural zoonotic origin was proven.  

Your hatred of Fauci is interesting to watch. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, teachercd said:

John Rahm had to withdraw from the Memorial open, with a big lead, because he tested positive.  That sucks!!!

That was the stupidest thing. It’s golf. He could play the whole tournament without getting any closer than 20 feet to anyone other than his caddy. It was wrong to make him withdraw.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

That was the stupidest thing. It’s golf. He could play the whole tournament without getting any closer than 20 feet to anyone other than his caddy. It was wrong to make him withdraw.

Someone said he had been vaxxed but I don't know if that is true or not.

When I play golf I am never near another person because my ball is always in the worst spots on the course. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
38 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Someone said he had been vaxxed but I don't know if that is true or not.

When I play golf I am never near another person because my ball is always in the worst spots on the course. 

Me too. The people most in danger would be about 10 yards off the right side of the fairway......and near the beer cart. :lol:

I just think the PGA has their rules and procedures all wrong. If they want to preclude participation, they need to do it before play starts not after a guy has a 6 stroke lead.

• Oh Yeah! 1

23 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

When did Fauci publicly dismiss the lab leak theory?

4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/article/anthony-fauci-no-scientific-evidence-the-coronavirus-was-made-in-a-chinese-lab-cvd

Based on the scientific evidence, he also doesn’t entertain an alternate theory—that someone found the coronavirus in the wild, brought it to a lab, and then it accidentally escaped.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

He didn't.  Not without indicating that nothing has been proven conclusively and more research was needed.  He may have leaned into what the science was pointing to at a point in time but only those trying to make political hay would demand scientists know with 100% accuracy the origination of a novel virus less than a year after it's discovery.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Me too. The people most in danger would be about 10 yards off the right side of the fairway......and near the beer cart. :lol:

I just think the PGA has their rules and procedures all wrong. If they want to preclude participation, they need to do it before play starts not after a guy has a 6 stroke lead.

Rahm signed up for this. He knew he had contact with a COVID positive person, directly. before the tournament. PGA gave him the option of not participating or going thru daily testing - knowing full well if he tested positive he was done. 

• Plus1 2