The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

48 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

There have been failures on all sides. But the reality is that not all failures have an equal impact.

Which media machine has had the most damaging messaging regarding COVID and public health over the last 18 months? The right-wing media machine or the left-wing media machine?

Both are not perfect, both have their problems. But one is worse than the other, so don't equate the two. The Left-wing messaging is often a mishmash of alternating messaging which is confusing and inconsistent. The right is anti-mask and anti-vaccine which is considerably more harmful.

Are you talking about like OAN or what? Running up to the election all I heard from CNN and MSNBC was how terrible of a job the Trump administration is doing and how Trump is literally killing everyone and then the tune completely changed when the virus was killing people and it wasnt Bidens fault. I have no idea what OAN was saying as thats as helpful as reading the huffingtonpost for unbiased news. Fox has been more pro-choice and critical of the likes of Fauci and hasnt idolized him as a scientific prophet so I guess you could blame them for that. Tucker Carlson I have seen has brought up the VAERS data etc. Which I think is ok to do? I personally want all the information I can obtain and then make the most rational decision for myself as an American citizen. The truth often lies in the middle of what CNN and MSNBC and Fox have to tell you as both slant in opposite directions. 

• Plus1 2

47 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

And, using your extrapolation model for Rs, how many millions of cases and thousands of deaths should we blame Fauci for?...you know, since he knew at the time of these lies that it was an aerosol? 

I'm unaware of the links between negative rates of mask use or vaccinations and support of Democrats, even early in the pandemic.

Not the same can be said for the 501 people, 99.5% of whom are unvaccinated, who died in the US yesterday. The strongest predictor of vaccine hesitancy is consumption of right-wing media and support of Trump.

Did those early mistakes by the CDC, NIH and Fauci cause deaths? Sure. Did that messaging continue for 18 months? No. Stop acting like they did. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm unaware of the links between negative rates of mask use or vaccinations and support of Democrats, even early in the pandemic.

Not the same can be said for the 501 people, 99.5% of whom are unvaccinated, who died in the US yesterday. The strongest predictor of vaccine hesitancy is consumption of right-wing media and support of Trump.

Did those early mistakes by the CDC, NIH and Fauci cause deaths? Sure. Did that messaging continue for 18 months? No. Stop acting like they did. 

Why are the most hesitant populations minorities then? 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Are you talking about like OAN or what? Running up to the election all I heard from CNN and MSNBC was how terrible of a job the Trump administration is doing and how Trump is literally killing everyone and then the tune completely changed when the virus was killing people and it wasnt Bidens fault. I have no idea what OAN was saying as thats as helpful as reading the huffingtonpost for unbiased news. Fox has been more pro-choice and critical of the likes of Fauci and hasnt idolized him as a scientific prophet so I guess you could blame them for that. Tucker Carlson I have seen has brought up the VAERS data etc. Which I think is ok to do? I personally want all the information I can obtain and then make the most rational decision for myself as an American citizen. The truth often lies in the middle of what CNN and MSNBC and Fox have to tell you as both slant in opposite directions. 

I'm asking a simple question, which media machines led to worse outcomes today, in your opinion. 

My opinion is that the right-wing media machine led to worse outcomes. This is evidenced by anti-mask/vaccine sentiment by those on the right and the correlation with consumption of right wing news, even Fox.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm asking a simple question, which media machines led to worse outcomes today, in your opinion. 

My opinion is that the right-wing media machine led to worse outcomes. This is evidenced by anti-mask/vaccine sentiment by those on the right and the correlation with consumption of right wing news, even Fox.

Both is my answer and they did it in their own unique ways at different points throughout and leading up to the pandemic. Again it isnt anti-mask/vaccine it is pro-choice which I find funny to some extent but that is the primary driving force I have heard on Fox. Basically the same viewpoint as Trump. Not surprisingly at all. The left wing media aligns with Biden and the right wing media aligns with Trump. I think we would have been up a crick without a paddle regardless of who was in charge based on the fact that it was an election year. I just miss the days of watching the news and hearing the story without having an opinion tied to it. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Why are the most hesitant populations minorities then? 

Race is a predictor of vaccine hesitancy, although not as strong of a predictor as right wing news consumption. 

A sociologist would have to give a detailed answer. My best guess would be decades of mistreatment Police Officers, politicians, and experiences with poor Healthcare in their areas.

It's sad that distrust amongst minorities is systemic. I hope police forces, politicians, etc. can win their trust with work in the future. 

The difference is that minorities distrust has been systemically created through our institutions. Working class White's has been carefully cultivated in order to win elections.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

See, when you pare it down to a simple/straightforward question there can be non partisan dialog. 

Yes, in my opinion the right wing media has been anti mask and, at least initially, anti vax.

1 minute ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Both is my answer and they did it in their own unique ways at different points throughout and leading up to the pandemic. Again it isnt anti-mask/vaccine it is pro-choice which I find funny to some extent but that is the primary driving force I have heard on Fox. Basically the same viewpoint as Trump. Not surprisingly at all. The left wing media aligns with Biden and the right wing media aligns with Trump. I think we would have been up a crick without a paddle regardless of who was in charge based on the fact that it was an election year. I just miss the days of watching the news and hearing the story without having an opinion tied to it. 

I respect that you have an honest response even though I highly disagree with your overall sentiment. 

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

See, when you pare it down to a simple/straightforward question there can be non partisan dialog. 

Yes, in my opinion the right wing media has been anti mask and, at least initially, anti vax.

I agree.

And my conclusion is that this, overall, has led to worse health outcomes for Americans than the messaging from the left (which has its own failures).

Now, if you want to discuss things I can't stand about Democrats or other messaging on the left, we'd have to take that to a different thread (student loan forgiveness, family care policy, etc). There is plenty to dislike.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I respect that you have an honest response even though I highly disagree with your overall sentiment. 

What would you give each side as a percentage as it relates to their negative impact leading up to and during the pandemic? Personally I would go something like Right Wing 60% left wing 40% in terms of negative impact. So technically you could say the right wing is slightly more but I want to point out the fact that it wasn't by much. If you take Tucker Carlson and Hannity off the air I would flip it to 60% left and 40% right. 

4 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

image.gif.093f8eb7c910b3cf066c5aec8803d9bf.gif

If you'd bother to read, I added the caveat "in some instances".  Again, as an example the effectiveness drops from 93% to 88%.  And that's just in the short term data.  But if we look at the supposed surgin new cases, do you think that 88% effectiveness number is going to hold up?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Redux said:

I find it funny that people try to solely blame the Republicans for hesitancy to get a vaccine that was developed in record time, isn't FDA approved, causes side effects that mimic the virus it protects against in some instances, doesn't actually prevent contracting or spreading covid in some instances, is useless against the mutation variant IN SOME INSTANCES and is being politicized left and right.

Yeah, can't imagine why people are hesitant....

That said, I'll probably get the Moderna version

Here, I updated it for a few of you.  Hope this helps.

• Plus1 1