The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

20 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Curious, and will go back to look, but the deluge of deaths in NY were all because Cuomo killed them...right? Or, and not saying it was you, but a lot attributed all those NY deaths to Trump...so therefore, these FL people in the tweet would go in the Biden tally, using the same illogic 

7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't disagree that it is overused, however, this is pretty obvious guys.

There is little, if any, evidence of COVID spread relating to immigration policy at the border.

All we know is that vaccinations prevent hospitlzations and deaths. It probably helps mitigate the spread, although there is conflicting evidence on if vaccinated people spread the virus at the same rates as unvaccinated. 

Any discourse not blaming unvaccinated people for the current course of the pandemic should not be taken seriously. 

I think that highlighting the border 'chaos' since Biden took over has been good for the Republicans and the COVID spikes in red states is not, so the Republican taking point is "don't look at my state, look at the border." The Republican allies in the media and all those governors are all trying to deflect the COVID surge and blame something else. You can see the same message coming from everywhere.  I think it's politics as usual not racism. Take heart though, it won't work, any better than the Dems trying to blame defund the police on a Republican vote. The COVID surge will knock the red state govs down a notch for sure.

• Plus1 1

One of our neighbors who is a young nurse made a couple surprising comments while on a walk with my wife yesterday. First, this person lives with her mother who is very much at risk of dying of COVID. Both are vaccinated. This person was also very fearful of COVID when it first started. Deer in headlights fearful, which I can understand given her Mom’s health. She was upset because Kaiser was requiring the vaccine for employees. Get it or get fired. She said many nurses, especially the younger nurses, have not received the vaccine. She thought most doctors had. She also told my wife not to have our kids get it yet, not knowing whether they had or not. I found both statements coming from a health care professional surprising. Since COVID is also political, I would describe this person as moderate or maybe a libertarian given the reaction to the mandates, and she is not socially conservative at all. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/hawaii-masked-and-vaccinated-still-falls-prey-to-delta-strain/ar-AAN1N9h

Bloomberg) -- Hawaii has one of the country’s most comprehensive mask mandates and a highly effective vaccine campaign. Despite that, Covid-19 cases on the islands are climbing with a ferocity that’s outstripping every other U.S. state.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wesh.com/amp/article/new-cases-covid-19-florida-surge-weekly-high/37246101

Florida's "positivity rate has also risen to 18.9%"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-06/hawaii-masked-and-vaccinated-still-falls-prey-to-delta-strain

Hawaii's "test-positivity rates surged to the highest in a year at 6.9%, according to the state’s health department"

"Average daily hospital admissions have more than doubled in the past week to about 22, which translates to about 1.6 per 100,000 residents, according to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services data. That’s still less than a fifth the rate of hospitalization in hot spot Florida"

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, nic said:

One of our neighbors who is a young nurse made a couple surprising comments while on a walk with my wife yesterday. First, this person lives with her mother who is very much at risk of dying of COVID. Both are vaccinated. This person was also very fearful of COVID when it first started. Deer in headlights fearful, which I can understand given her Mom’s health. She was upset because Kaiser was requiring the vaccine for employees. Get it or get fired. She said many nurses, especially the younger nurses, have not received the vaccine. She thought most doctors had. She also told my wife not to have our kids get it yet, not knowing whether they had or not. I found both statements coming from a health care professional surprising. Since COVID is also political, I would describe this person as moderate or maybe a libertarian given the reaction to the mandates, and she is not socially conservative at all. 

My healthcare facility staff is 90%+ vaccinated, no requirement or mandate. My wife and I are 30, me and RT her a nurse,  most our friends are in healthcare and 99% of them are vaxxed. There are a few outliers that aren't, but they are definitely outliers. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My healthcare facility staff is 90%+ vaccinated, no requirement or mandate. My wife and I are 30, me and RT her a nurse,  most our friends are in healthcare and 99% of them are vaxxed. There are a few outliers that aren't, but they are definitely outliers. 

That’s what I find annoying, is that people want to use outliers and individual examples to represent the greater population.