The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

41 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My healthcare facility staff is 90%+ vaccinated, no requirement or mandate. My wife and I are 30, me and RT her a nurse,  most our friends are in healthcare and 99% of them are vaxxed. There are a few outliers that aren't, but they are definitely outliers. 

That’s why I found it surprising. perhaps it’s really a small number but happens to be in her circle of friends. If I was an unvaccinated healthcare worker I think I would keep my shut.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Scarlet said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wesh.com/amp/article/new-cases-covid-19-florida-surge-weekly-high/37246101

Florida's "positivity rate has also risen to 18.9%"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-06/hawaii-masked-and-vaccinated-still-falls-prey-to-delta-strain

Hawaii's "test-positivity rates surged to the highest in a year at 6.9%, according to the state’s health department"

"Average daily hospital admissions have more than doubled in the past week to about 22, which translates to about 1.6 per 100,000 residents, according to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services data. That’s still less than a fifth the rate of hospitalization in hot spot Florida"

What’s the point in bringing up FL?  It was a post about Hawaii.  You sure do have some real infatuation with Florida and DeSantis  

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

What’s the point in bringing up FL?  It was a post about Hawaii.  You sure do have some real infatuation with Florida and DeSantis  

I guess I could have compared Hawaii to Louisiana or Botswana.  

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It looks like DeSantis is seeking the spotlight for his presumed Presidential bid, and has offered Florida as the litmus test for covid and compliance. 

The takeaway appears to be that Hawaii has done everything you're supposed to do, but has not been able to avoid the surge from the Delta Variant. At the same time, whatever Hawaii is doing has prevented the kind of numbers now seen in Covid hotspots. Like Florida. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The number of unvaccinated and reluctant healthcare workers is still pretty substantial: 

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210628/huge-number-of-hospital-workers

It seems to be pockets. Being in Omaha it doesn't shock me that the system I am in is over 90%. From your article. 

Among the nation's 50 largest hospitals, the percentage of unvaccinated health care workers appears to be even larger, about 1 in 3. Vaccination rates range from a high of 99% at Houston Methodist Hospital, which was the first in the nation to mandate the shots for its workers, to a low between 30% and 40% at some hospitals in Florida.

For reference about 80% of Health Care workers get flu shot yearly. Even higher in hospitals. I don't see why the covid vaccine wouldn't reach similar highs. 

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

In which Archy pretends to not understand comparing Hawaii to other states.

In which again The Redster inserts a comment that is not relevant and makes no sense.   

Hawaii is unlike any other state in the union.   The entire point of the post was to show that even with pretty strong mitigation measures, Covid is finding a way to spread.  

But those here still gotta get their ‘feel good gotta bash Florida because I don’t know what else to talk about’ hits in.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

It seems to be pockets. Being in Omaha it doesn't shock me that the system I am in is over 90%. From your article. 

Among the nation's 50 largest hospitals, the percentage of unvaccinated health care workers appears to be even larger, about 1 in 3. Vaccination rates range from a high of 99% at Houston Methodist Hospital, which was the first in the nation to mandate the shots for its workers, to a low between 30% and 40% at some hospitals in Florida.

For reference about 80% of Health Care workers get flu shot yearly. Even higher in hospitals. I don't see why the covid vaccine wouldn't reach similar highs. 

Ya I find it odd too that so many are unvaccinated, and hear much the same difference across the clinics, both private and hospital, that I go in. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

fwiw....he brought up points brought up in the article you linked.  his links were from the story you linked to.   not sure how he was distracting from your post

• Plus1 3

11 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

So my neighbor saying lots of nurses are unvaccinated at her work may not be off after all. It’s still surprising. I would think health care workers would trust it and understand the need. So what is hesitation then?

11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

In which again The Redster inserts a comment that is not relevant and makes no sense.   

Hawaii is unlike any other state in the union.   The entire point of the post was to show that even with pretty strong mitigation measures, Covid is finding a way to spread.  

But those here still gotta get their ‘feel good gotta bash Florida because I don’t know what else to talk about’ hits in.  

You should reread the article to linked and see it's just a clickbait headline. Hawaii has some of the lowest case numbers and rates in the country and is absolutely no where near what Florida and Louisiana are experiencing. From your link:

On Thursday, Hawaii recorded 655 new cases, a record since the beginning of the pandemic. Test-positivity rates surged to the highest in a year at 6.9%, according to the state’s health department.

Louisiana: 5468 average new cases per day, test positivity rate 16.5% (link)

Florida: 22,783 new COVID-19 cases on Friday

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article253312323.html

Florida reported a record 22,783 new COVID-19 cases on Friday, its highest single-day case count since the pandemic began last year as the state continues record-breaking hospitalizations for the fifth straight day in a row.

But sure, no need to compare Hawaii to other states for context.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, nic said:

So my neighbor saying lots of nurses are unvaccinated at her work may not be off after all. It’s still surprising. I would think health care workers would trust it and understand the need. So what is hesitation then?

My wife is a nurse and she says there are quite a few nurses in her unit unvaccinated.  Maybe 25%.

She said the most common defense is still COVID isn’t really that big of deal and was drummed up so Biden could win the election.  Now they think it’s getting renewed attention because Biden is failing and needs something to control people.  These are also nurses that think masks are pointless in schools while they have worn them for years if they have a cold at work.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:54 PM, nic said:

I think that highlighting the border 'chaos' since Biden took over has been good for the Republicans and the COVID spikes in red states is not, so the Republican taking point is "don't look at my state, look at the border." The Republican allies in the media and all those governors are all trying to deflect the COVID surge and blame something else. You can see the same message coming from everywhere.  I think it's politics as usual not racism. Take heart though, it won't work, any better than the Dems trying to blame defund the police on a Republican vote. The COVID surge will knock the red state govs down a notch for sure.

It's almost like the entire GOP attitude towards immigration is not-so-suddenly racist by trying to distract its voting base with the border every chance they get. Or why Donald Trump's opening foray into politics was declaring that Obama isn't American. Or why his opening campaign speech called Mexicans rapists and murderers. 

Just because 40% of Americans love to blame immigrants for their problems doesn't make it only "politics as usual". It can carry racist undertones at the same time. 

• Plus1 3