The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I wouldn't be able to see eye-to-eye with anyone on this particular viewpoint, if it is a viewpoint they hold. This is an absolute straw man from Shapiro.

There is no unstated assumption at all other than a politically motivated one. The medical community has been abundantly clear on what the ultimate goals are with mask mandates and, in particular, vaccines: reduce the impact on the healthcare system, reduce the severity of the disease and its potential to kill, and herd immunity.

What Ben is stating here is a complete fabrication with no basis in any reality other than his own.

This.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

I share this not because I share his view, though Shapiro is well spoken and organized, but more for the opportunity to read the comments that cover the entire spectrum in how folks stand on the issue.

"Zero covid" is not possible.  I think we all agree on that.  Remember May when masks were off, the hospitals weren't stressed, and everyone felt good about life?  There was still covid.  That could be our reality if people continue to get the vaccine and we open it up to children 12 and under.  It will be here but we will be able to manage, even though some will continue to very unfortunately die from the disease.

And Ben Shapiro is a turd!  (sorry, couldn't resist ;))

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I wouldn't be able to see eye-to-eye with anyone on this particular viewpoint, if it is a viewpoint they hold. This is an absolute straw man from Shapiro.

There is no unstated assumption at all other than a politically motivated one. The medical community has been abundantly clear on what the ultimate goals are with mask mandates and, in particular, vaccines: reduce the impact on the healthcare system, reduce the severity of the disease and its potential to kill, and herd immunity.

What Ben is stating here is a complete fabrication with no basis in any reality other than his own.

I remember "2 weeks to stop the spread" ... 70 or so weeks ago.

Zero cases may never have been the goal...but the goalposts keep moving.

At what point to vaccinated/mask wearing folks like us just say "do what you want"

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, funhusker said:

"Zero covid" is not possible.  I think we all agree on that.  Remember May when masks were off, the hospitals weren't stressed, and everyone felt good about life?  There was still covid.  That could be our reality if people continue to get the vaccine and we open it up to children 12 and under.  It will be here but we will be able to manage, even though some will continue to very unfortunately die from the disease.

And Ben Shapiro is a turd!  (sorry, couldn't resist ;))

How do we explain the rise in cases elsewhere, predating the US, where vaccinations are compulsory or at least higher % than here?

I don't agree with a lot of his stances, but don't think that he is a turd...but I am definitely right leaning so more of his points resonate I guess.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I remember "2 weeks to stop the spread" ... 70 or so weeks ago.

Zero cases may never have been the goal...but the goalposts keep moving.

At what point to vaccinated/mask wearing folks like us just say "do what you want"

Medicine, viruses, epidemiology... they rarely operate in absolutes. I've never personally felt at any point in time that my doctor or the medical community as a whole was misleading me about COVID and the importance of vaccinations. Sure, things changed as new information came to light, but that happens with almost anything in life.

Too many people have spent too much time not doing the things doctors and scientists have asked them to do, which has absolutely contributed to our current situation. That and listening to politicians. I mean, if 90% of our country was vaccinated right now, do we think we'd be having this conversation? I do not think so, personally.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Medicine, viruses, epidemiology... they rarely operate in absolutes. I've never personally felt at any point in time that my doctor or the medical community as a whole was misleading me about COVID and the importance of vaccinations. Sure, things changed as new information came to light, but that happens with almost anything in life.

Too many people have spent too much time not doing the things doctors and scientists have asked them to do, which has absolutely contributed to our current situation. That and listening to politicians. I mean, if 90% of our country was vaccinated right now, do we think we'd be having this conversation? I do not think so, personally.

Agree on the first part, wholeheartedly.

I think this conversation would be taking place regardless however, because even if we hit 90%, there would still be something else that one side or the other would use as the new "I'm right/you're wrong" narrative. 

7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Not particularly no. 

He flat out says we'll be living with Covid forever.  I say maybe, maybe not.  Too soon to tell what the virus will do and what modern medicine will come up with.

He then says we'll be living in forever pandemic as if this is how it will always be.  Me, I can't say with any certainly what will happen.

I can say throwing up your hands and forging headlong into this as he's continually suggested hasn't and isn't working.  That just leads to more death and suffering.  Can't believe we even have this debate in our country. 

• Plus1 1