The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

It's a government vs. anti-government argument at this point. That's why it gets so illogical. Guys like Shapiro are squeezing everything into that funnel. 

The science has been both cautious and consistent. Governments of all political stripes around the globe have accepted the need for extreme measures, because pandemics themselves aren't a mystery -- they've shadowed all of human history. They're not a plot against Ben Shapiro and the American economy. Actually we've been really lucky for the last 100 years. 

Speaking of which, the American economy has rebounded in some big and interesting ways. Clever people have forged some effective workarounds. While we wait to see what happens next, masks and vaccines continue to help the economy stay as open as possible, without overwhelming our healthcare system. Fighting masks and vaccines is the opposite of fiscal responsibility --- it's ideological hysteria. 

What Shapiro and others don't want to accept is that the coronavirus is making most of the decisions. But they need a face to blame. 

• Plus1 3
37 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

So much for that theory that deaths and hospitalizations have decoupled from cases.  Maybe in a highly vaccinated country they are but not in DeathSantisville.  

It has decoupled some if you actually looked at the numbers and ratios compared to the previous peak.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Well, provide the numbers. Show us a graph comparing hospitalization/death rates among vaccinated people and unvaccinated people. 

It has not decoupled "some". It's unequivocal. 

Data from NYT’s. Easy to look up.  If deaths were occurring at the same rate based on infections from previous peak, FL would be at over 50% more deaths.  Shows vaccines have helped and better treatment has helped. 

I made claim at all on vaccinated vs unvaccinated, so I feel no need to show any graph on that.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

Data from NYT’s. Easy to look up.  If deaths were occurring at the same rate based on infections from previous peak, FL would be at over 50% more deaths.  Shows vaccines have helped and better treatment has helped. 

I made claim at all on vaccinated vs unvaccinated, so I feel no need to show any graph on that.  

Maybe you're trying to make a different point, but "decoupled" when talking about time-offset data (like deaths rising 2-4 weeks after cases and hospitalizations rising) means that the death rise and peak is no longer coupled to the previous rise in cases and that peak (the offset in time isn't there anymore). The data is still showing that deaths follow cases just like the previous peaks, so they aren't decoupled.

If you're trying to say that the death peak won't be as bad as previous peaks (which it seems like from the post I'm replying to), then that's different. And I agree with you on that point as vaccinations and treatments have reduced mortality rates.

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I misunderstood you, apologies. 

Florida's problem comes down to not enough adults being vaccinated. Combined with incompetent leadership (banning mask mandates, for example). 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe houses will be cheap enough then when I retire that I can afford a nice one on a beach or golf course down there.  Hey....I'm vaccinated and will get what ever boosters are needed.

Last housing burst a brother of one of my friends bought a nice (cheap) home down there, in ground pool, brick home.  For probably half what it should have cost.  He spends like 5 months out of the year in that house.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's going to be so interesting to see how many freak out and drop out of the military to avoid the vaccine.  

It'd be idiotic of them if any did, IMO.

We've heard time and again from former/active military members that vaccinations are a part of military life. I just talked to someone who went through basic in December/January of this past year. He said he had two straight day of shots/vaccinations, somewhere between 10-15 total. He doesn't remember half of them and didn't recognize half of them. COVID was one of them and they're mandatory. No getting around them unless you have a legitimate, medically verified reason.

• Thanks 1