The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I posted about cops forging vaccine cards. It is a sad state of affairs that it comes to that.

Vaccinated is definitely more favorable than not. I didn't read him to say the vaccines are not effective. I read it as they are not the end all that we thought they were. And, it's the Vaccinated population that drives mutations...not unvaccinated.

In the end, Covid has shown it is not going to go away, regardless of who gets Vaccinated or doesn t.

Do you have a link to the bolded?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL2N2NL1M2

A video making the rounds on social media claims that new variants of COVID-19 are forming to sidestep the antibodies created by the global vaccination drive. But scientific evidence thus far does not support this claim. There is no evidence vaccination efforts against COVID-19 have caused new COVID-19 variants, experts say.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/unvaccinated-people-are-increasing-the-chances-for-more-coronavirus-variants-heres-how

Experts say the number of unvaccinated people in the United States is a key reason coronavirus variants are emerging.

They explain that the virus replicates quicker in unvaccinated people, increasing the chance of mutations.

They’re concerned that new COVID-19 cases will continue to rise as variants spread and people still refuse to get vaccinated.

6 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Harris said she wouldn't get a vaccine Trump told her to. The FDA obviously didn't get strong armed by Trump or anyone else.

Covid is not deadly to everyone. Vast majorities of people get it and don't die. If you are elderly and obese you run a higher risk, for sure.

I have no informed information on therapeutic remedies, but do know that the tune has certainly changed on remdesivr and HCQ since 2020.

Vaccine skeptics indicated that approval would help, but as I stated elsewhere...we are probably at stasis right now regarding who will (willingly) get the jab. And it's certainly not just Rs that are not doing so.

Vaccines may or may not slow transmission. You can still contract, carry, and pass the virus after being vaccinated. It may keep you out of the hospital, but there are lots of folks in the ER who have got the jab.

Why are you so hostile to anyone that voices these truths?

You asked me specifically and it looks like others have stepped in with solid, fact-based responses. But here goes:

Donald Trump wanted to promote a vaccine cure to serve his re-election timetable. Who wouldn't? But Trump had been wrong about most things coronavirus since day one, and Harris and others were correct to wait for a green light from the medical profession. Republicans -- obviously -- would have done the same thing had a Democrat been in office. You mis-phrased what Harris actually said. So go easy on the "what facts do we have wrong?" angle.

Covid is not deadly to everyone. Vast majorities of people get it and don't die. But in less than a year it became the #3 killer of Americans, now 650,000 dead and re-surging. If the deaths of thousand of people unlucky enough not to have natural immunity isn't enough, the millions of cases are putting a tremendous strain on our healthcare system and economy. This is what I mean by taking a couple "facts" and extrapolating things that are wildly untrue.

The tune hasn't changed on remdesivr and HCQ. They have always been considered worthy of study but remain unproven as COVID cures and preventatives, and by any metric far behind the success rate of the current vaccines. Maybe late night comics are having too much fun with Ivermectin, but it falls in the same camp.

It's not only Republicans that are refusing the vaccine. But...uhm.....there is an undeniable pattern going on.  

And yes, you can get the vaccine and still need hospitalization, but at the moment we're seeing 95% of COVID hospitalizations are unvaccinated, and 5% are vaccinated, or roughly the huge advantage the vaccines promised in their initial efficacy tests.

Which begs the question I asked in my earlier post:  why are Chamrock and others going to such great lengths to stretch a dubious fact or two into a really inaccurate and disingenuous conclusion?  Since vaccines have been so incredibly successful, accepted, celebrated and even mandated in the past, why are so many people looking for any way to discredit the COVID vaccine?  I have my theories but I'm interested in hearing yours. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Scarlet said:

Well there's one. Thanks.  So would you rather rely on monoclonal antibodies or the vaccine?  Which costs less?  Which is still EUA? Remember the original post I was replying to.  The quote was about prevention.  Are you going to take monoclonal antibodies to prevent covid or get vaccinated?

I was just correcting your error.  No need to get defensive or change the subject.  And I never said vaccines weren’t good or didn’t work.  I have taken mine

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

I was just correcting your error.  No need to get defensive or change the subject.  And I never said vaccines weren’t good or didn’t work.  I have taken mine

Not defense at all.  Just adding to the conversation.  "You' as in random guy in the he street.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I really don't. Your sources might be right. However, it makes sense to me that unvaxed folks don't cause mutations, because the virus doesn't have to...they just get infected, so the virus thinks "cool" mission accomplished. 

If the virus meets a vaxed person, and it doesn't infected them, it mutates until the next vaxed dude gets it...

Highly scientific. I know. 

Lol. Hold your applause. 

9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You asked me specifically and it looks like others have stepped in with solid, fact-based responses. But here goes:

Donald Trump wanted to promote a vaccine cure to serve his re-election timetable. Who wouldn't? But Trump had been wrong about most things coronavirus since day one, and Harris and others were correct to wait for a green light from the medical profession. Republicans -- obviously -- would have done the same thing had a Democrat been in office. You mis-phrased what Harris actually said. So go easy on the "what facts do we have wrong?" angle.

Covid is not deadly to everyone. Vast majorities of people get it and don't die. But in less than a year it became the #3 killer of Americans, now 650,000 dead and re-surging. If the deaths of thousand of people unlucky enough not to have natural immunity isn't enough, the millions of cases are putting a tremendous strain on our healthcare system and economy. This is what I mean by taking a couple "facts" and extrapolating things that are wildly untrue.

The tune hasn't changed on remdesivr and HCQ. They have always been considered worthy of study but remain unproven as COVID cures and preventatives, and by any metric far behind the success rate of the current vaccines. Maybe late night comics are having too much fun with Ivermectin, but it falls in the same camp.

It's not only Republicans that are refusing the vaccine. But...uhm.....there is an undeniable pattern going on.  

And yes, you can get the vaccine and still need hospitalization, but at the moment we're seeing 95% of COVID hospitalizations are unvaccinated, and 5% are vaccinated, or roughly the huge advantage the vaccines promised in their initial efficacy tests.

Which begs the question I asked in my earlier post:  why are Chamrock and others going to such great lengths to stretch a dubious fact or two into a really inaccurate and disingenuous conclusion?  Since vaccines have been so incredibly successful, accepted, celebrated and even mandated in the past, why are so many people looking for any way to discredit the COVID vaccine?  I have my theories but I'm interested in hearing yours. 

Thanks guy, I appreciate your insight.

9 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And to your last paragraph...I really can't answer. I myself think it is senseless thinking. I just respect others enough to not be judge and jury if they dont.

10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I really don't. Your sources might be right. However, it makes sense to me that unvaxed folks don't cause mutations, because the virus doesn't have to...they just get infected, so the virus thinks "cool" mission accomplished. 

If the virus meets a vaxed person, and it doesn't infected them, it mutates until the next vaxed dude gets it...

Highly scientific. I know. 

Lol. Hold your applause. 

If the virus gets to a vaccinated person and they don’t get sick, the virus dies.  It doesn’t spread any further.

When it infects a non vaccinated person and they get sick it reproduces and continues to spread.   Mutations possibly happening.

Maybe break through cases make mutations more likely though :dunno

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

If the virus gets to a vaccinated person and they don’t get sick, the virus dies.  It doesn’t spread any further.

When it infects a non vaccinated person and they get sick it reproduces and continues to spread.   Mutations possibly happening.

Maybe break through cases make mutations more likely though :dunno

It will be interesting to see as time goes by.

I think your first sentence isn't accurate though. The vaccine doesn't kill Covid. Vaccinated people still get it/carry it/pass it.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

It will be interesting to see as time goes by.

I think your first sentence isn't accurate though. The vaccine doesn't kill Covid. Vaccinated people still get it/carry it/pass it.

In “breakthrough” cases.

These cases range from asymptomatic to mostly mild illness.  However there is the possibility that severe illness or death could still happen.  But drastically lower than non-vaccinated.

if the vaccine “works”, the body identifies it and doesn’t allow it to reproduce.  Effectively saving the person from infection and spreading the virus.

edit:  I worded my first post poorly.  Instead of saying “sick” I should have used the word @infected”

37 minutes ago, funhusker said:

if the vaccine “works”, the body identifies it and doesn’t allow it to reproduce.  Effectively saving the person from infection and spreading the virus.

edit:  I worded my first post poorly.  Instead of saying “sick” I should have used the word @infected”

I've heard that while successful defending the individual, a vaccine doesn't necessarily stop the same person from spreading the virus.

We're probably still in the middle of things and it's early to reach conclusions.