The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

12 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'm at a loss.  I can't wrap my head around what the motivation is, politically, for wanting to see your base die.  

Or is she just that ignorant?

The numbers I heard put the risk of side affects from COVID about 6 times higher than the vaccine. Of course those numbers probably change. 

41 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'm at a loss.  I can't wrap my head around what the motivation is, politically, for wanting to see your base die.  

Or is she just that ignorant?

Here's what they're referring to. If it's true, it would obviously change a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/10/boys-more-at-risk-from-pfizer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study

8 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Here's what they're referring to. If it's true, it would obviously change a lot.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/10/boys-more-at-risk-from-pfizer-jab-side-effect-than-covid-suggests-study

The study wasn't peer reviewed and the data is suspect.  I'll take what Dr Hotez has to say over a click bait article ran by the Guardian.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-guardian/%3famp=1

45 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

The study wasn't peer reviewed and the data is suspect.  I'll take what Dr Hotez has to say over a click bait article ran by the Guardian.  

Most studies like this could be considered suspect, with it always being a limited sample size. Same goes for political polls, etc.

Hopefully it is peer reviewed. If there's any truth to it, we need to know.

2 hours ago, Scarlet said:

What makes the data suspect?  I saw that the Dr.’s tweet said the information was shown to be false, but he didn’t link to anything showing why he said that.  Dr. Hotez looks to have a strong background and would seem to be pretty reliable, so I’m surprised he didn’t include why the data is bad in his view.  

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I should add that my wife and I don’t plan on getting our 14 yr old vaccinated for Covid anytime soon based on the rates for hospitalization for his age and health group.  So this particular piece of information is of interest to me.  

I was hesitant about the 12-21 males group for the Pfizer vaccine from some early reported cardio side effects, but I've since seen data showing that the risk of cardio effects from covid is actually higher than from the vaccine. I'll see if I can track down the data I saw.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I was hesitant about the 12-21 males group for the Pfizer vaccine from some early reported cardio side effects, but I've since seen data showing that the risk of cardio effects from covid is actually higher than from the vaccine. I'll see if I can track down the data I saw.

Much appreciated.  Thanks in advance 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Thanks for taking the time to look into it!

The other piece of info that's changed my mind is that the delta variant is affecting kids more than previous variants.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/how-the-covid-19-delta-variant-is-impacting-younger-people

Who is being impacted by the delta variant?
With the delta variant, we are seeing an increased number of cases amongst children. In the last couple of weeks, the American Academy of Pediatrics has reported a significant increase in COVID-19 cases amongst people under 18 years of age. We know that the delta variant is much more transmissible than the other prior variants of COVID-19.

And that extends to children as much as to older teenagers and adults as well. What we're still working to understand is whether people get more sick with delta variant or not. These are somewhat surprisingly difficult things to tease out. When you have a large increase in the number of people getting infected, that proportionately results in more people in hospital and more people die. But it doesn't necessarily mean that the virus itself is more deadly.

It's a complex set of issues and the evidence is still being gathered and analyzed.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I can't find the exact data I remember seeing, but here's what I was able to find:

612d4e969ef1e50018f8d83e?width=1000&form

612d4e9612b9cc001963704b?width=1000&form

Based on this, it looks like the 12-15 age group could almost be a wash in terms of the cases of myocarditis and the number of ICU admissions prevented.  The rate of progression and decrease in the two groups come close to meeting at that age based on the how the numbers are moving. 

Either way, there doesn’t seem to be much vaccination benefit vs myocarditis risk in that age group.  Unless I guess it’s shown that the infection group had worse myocarditis rates than the vaccine group at age 12-15.  Assuming I’m looking at things the correct way. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Based on this, it looks like the 12-15 age group could almost be a wash in terms of the cases of myocarditis and the number of ICU admissions prevented.  The rate of progression and decrease in the two groups come close to meeting at that age based on the how the numbers are moving. 

Either way, there doesn’t seem to be much vaccination benefit vs myocarditis risk in that age group.  Unless I guess it’s shown that the infection group had worse myocarditis rates than the vaccine group at age 12-15.  Assuming I’m looking at things the correct way. 

I agree with your assessment based on the data I provided. I'll keep an eye out for the data I saw a week or two ago that showed the myocarditis rate for covid was higher than for the vaccine in all age groups with the data going all the way down to 12 year olds. But with the additional risks of other effects from covid (including long covid), IMO the vaccine is the much better risk.

• Plus1 2