The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The other piece of info that's changed my mind is that the delta variant is affecting kids more than previous variants.

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/how-the-covid-19-delta-variant-is-impacting-younger-people

It's a complex set of issues and the evidence is still being gathered and analyzed.

I wonder how the UK is going to handle this in the future. Currently, they don’t plan on recommending 12-16 get shots.  Nor do they require masks for this age group.  We are on the other extreme for masks in this age group and will soon be for vaccines.   Two countries that are similar aside for population but different takes on Covid.  It’s interesting how each one is coming to their conclusion and who will be right (if there even is a right or wrong in this specific circumstance) 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But with the additional risks of other effects from covid (including long covid), IMO the vaccine is the much better risk.

I just read an article this morning (will look back in my history to post it here) that said teens are not suffering from long Covid.  I will hopefully post it soon. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I just read an article this morning (will look back in my history to post it here) that said teens are not suffering from long Covid.  I will hopefully post it soon. 

Last thing I read was that teens weren't affected much by previous variants but that delta has seen an increase in long covid for both kids and non-elderly adults (I think it was increased for everyone under 50).

• Fire 1

I haven't read a ton on this subject the last month or so, just burned out on it, but it sounds like COVID-19 isn't going anywhere, correct? So, what's the long term plan for a virus that is killing a very, very small amount of people? Are we going to booster shot, and mask up forever? Those both, especially the masks, feel like short term solutions/annoyances. If it is here to stay, and it remains largely  harmless for most people, how long are we going to do this dance? 

I'm honestly curious if there's been any discussion on this the last month or so.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

So, what's the long term plan for a virus that is killing a very, very small amount of people?

Currently killing 6x the amount of people than the flu is, annually. So as far as a virus is concerned, its killing/hospitalizing a ton of people, which in turn is a huge strain on the health care system. So unfortunately things can't be completely "normal" with that kind of strain on a health care system. Once enough people get vaxxed/recover from the virus, cases will probably work into a manageable range. We will develop other treatments, there will be boosters available if a nasty strain pops up. People will still be hospitalized and die from it, but it will look more like a flu season and we won't have to shut down things like elective surgery and send people in the hospital home early to ration beds. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I haven't read a ton on this subject the last month or so, just burned out on it, but it sounds like COVID-19 isn't going anywhere, correct? So, what's the long term plan for a virus that is killing a very, very small amount of people? Are we going to booster shot, and mask up forever? Those both, especially the masks, feel like short term solutions/annoyances. If it is here to stay, and it remains largely  harmless for most people, how long are we going to do this dance? 

I'm honestly curious if there's been any discussion on this the last month or so.

Gee....a start would be for everyone to get vaccinated that can get it.  But, we have too many people scared of it.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, nic said:

I don’t discount this research but it kind of makes me shake my head.

Lets agree that natural immunity is better. How does a person get that?

Are we really putting forth an argument that it’s better to get the virus and all of its potential effects for 90% immunity in the future vs getting a shot that gives us 75% immunity?  When hospitals are begging us to stay healthy? 

How does that make sense?

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don’t discount this research but it kind of makes me shake my head.

Lets agree that natural immunity is better. How does a person get that?

Are we really putting forth an argument that it’s better to get the virus and all of its potential effects for 90% immunity in the future vs getting a shot that gives us 75% immunity?  When hospitals are begging us to stay healthy? 

How does that make sense?

I don't disagree here...to a point.

But I bet that in a few years, we come to know that far more people contracted the virus than we think now.