The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I thought she explained it really well.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was a little put off by her enthusiasm, so I do have a calculator, and I checked. 

She said 1 in 61 (regardless of vaccinated status) who contracted Covid died in the last 18 months. If that is true, then 60 in 61, who contracted Covid lived in the last 18 months. So, 60 of 61 positive covid cases lived. 

The proportion that lived is 98.36% (98.4% with rounding).

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I was a little put off by her enthusiasm, so I do have a calculator, and I checked. 

She said 1 in 61 (regardless of vaccinated status) who contracted Covid died in the last 18 months. If that is true, then 60 in 61, who contracted Covid lived in the last 18 months. So, 60 of 61 positive covid cases lived. 

Seems like you missed her point entirely. Probably because you were too concerned with her "enthusiasm."

Can't win 'em all. 

• Plus1 2

37 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But the reply tweet is factually correct, right?

The larger point she's making is valid, and abundantly clear to anyone who isn't willfully ignorant to the world around them.

Calling yourself 'really f***ing good at numbers', and then proceeding to loudly narrate your mastery of 3rd grade math with a calculator is a little annoying, honestly.  Guess that's what a mic-drop is these days.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

The larger point she's making is valid, and abundantly clear to anyone who isn't willfully ignorant to the world around them.

Calling yourself 'really f***ing good at numbers', and then proceeding to loudly narrate your mastery of 3rd grade math with a calculator is a little annoying, honestly.  Guess that's what a mic-drop is these days.

She is evidently a TicTok star of some magnitude.

1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

Why ignore the important numbers?

1 in 8 infected with Covid.

Of those, 1 in 61 died.

That’s 670,000 dead btw.

The point….

Only 1 in 13,402 vaccinated people catch Covid (not 1 in 8).

And of those, only 1 in 86,500 vaxxed people died (not 1 in 61).

That 98.4% figure is completely irrelevant to any point whatsoever.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

If you prefer percentages, try these.

670,000 dead

2,000 to 2,500 fully vaccinated died.

Using the higher 2500 number that is:

99.62% of all deaths are from the non-vaxxed population.

0.38% of all deaths from the fully vaxxed group.

You would really have to struggle (and be not very f#&%ing good with numbers) to not get the point.

• Plus1 2