The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

58 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

But the reply tweet is factually correct, right?

No, the difference between 99% and 98.4% is pretty significant when we're talking about hundreds of thousands dead. A mortality rate of 1.6% is 60% greater than a mortality rate of 1%. For example, if the 99% was correct, then the 670,000 dead would have instead been 418,750 (math: (670000/(1-.984))*(1-.99)=418750), which is a difference of 251,250. A quarter of a million more lives lost due to that "small" difference.

• Plus1 3

9 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

No, the difference between 99% and 98.4% is pretty significant when we're talking about hundreds of thousands dead. A mortality rate of 1.6% is 60% greater than a mortality rate of 1%. For example, if the 99% was correct, then the 670,000 dead would have instead been 418,750 (math: (670000/(1-.984))*(1-.99)=418750), which is a difference of 251,250. A quarter of a million more lives lost due to that "small" difference.

Thank you for an informative, and non snarky, reply.

Anyone that has been in this thread for a while knows my stance. 

I am simply sick and tired of the shaming tactics and Holier than Thou angst of those that think no one should...ever...question them.

• Fire 3
4 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I am simply sick and tired of the shaming tactics and Holier than Thou angst of those that think no one should...ever...question them.

I'm ok with honest questions, but a lot of this argument is just asking questions without  an honest attempt to understand the answers and instead attempting to sow doubt despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

And I'm also ok with judging people who make ridiculous and/or unfounded statements and calling them idiots or stupid.

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Then why did you behave exactly this way to my post?

It seems like you were looking to troll me and got caught not doing the math.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Maybe 667,500 to 2,500 is so ridiculously obvious that some people need to be shamed for not acknowledging the disparity :dunno  And those would also happen to be the same people preventing an end to the pandemic. Not sure holier than thou is the right characterization.

• Plus1 3

55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Then why did you behave exactly this way to my post?

It seems like you were looking to troll me and got caught not doing the math.

Not trolling at all. Pointing out the unsaid portion of her post, because she would definitely not address the numbers of the reply.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe 667,500 to 2,500 is so ridiculously obvious that some people need to be shamed for not acknowledging the disparity :dunno  And those would also happen to be the same people preventing an end to the pandemic. Not sure holier than thou is the right characterization.

Acknowledge the discrepancy, absolutely. 

But don't completely discount the fact that 98.4% of all confirmed Covid cases didn't die...regardless of vax status. 

Seems like a statistic that should be discussed. 

her larger point is what’s important, but also want to point out that miss good at numbers is wrong on her death rate from Covid too.  She needs to understand CFR and the more true IFR 

If she’s gonna do the tik toc thing, at least have the best data in front of you to explain to your audience.  Probably only matters to me but I’m a numbers guy and it’s annoying to me when people use the wrong data or don’t actually understand the data they are using. 

• Plus1 2