The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

That's super encouraging:

An analysis of phase three trials found that 7.3 percent of patients treated with Merck's drug, called molnupiravir, were hospitalized within 29 days, according to the company's Friday statement. Of the study participants who received a placebo, 14.1 percent were hospitalized or died by the last day of the trial. No deaths were reported in patients who were given molnupiravir during the duration of the trial, while eight deaths were reported in those who were treated with placebos.

The drug was also proven to be consistently effective against all strains of COVID-19, including the highly contagious delta variant.

Every participant in the study was unvaccinated and had at least one underlying health condition that increased their chances of developing a more serious case of COVID-19. Some of the most common health factors among participants included obesity, diabetes, heart disease and being over the age of 60. 

The trial was conducted at more than 170 sites in countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, Japan, Taiwan and South Africa.

Still not as effective as the vaccine, but hopefully this is acceptable to the anti-vax crowd so we can transition from the epidemic to the endemic stage for the virus.

4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

More on this from Scott Gottlieb.  It's worth watching the whole video.

This is another great tool to get life back to normal.  If this can be eventually be so readily available via prescription or better yet over the counter, then, in combination with vaccines and subcutaneous injections of monoclonal antibodies, we should be able to get the death rate under control. 

Imagine being able to travel, rapid test if you're feeling something coming on and then taking an antiviral for a few days.  The world might eventually open up again.  Let's hope.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

More on this from Scott Gottlieb.  It's worth watching the whole video.

This is another great tool to get life back to normal.  If this can be eventually be so readily available via prescription or better yet over the counter, then, in combination with vaccines and subcutaneous injections of monoclonal antibodies, we should be able to get the death rate under control. 

Imagine being able to travel, rapid test if you're feeling something coming on and then taking an antiviral for a few days.  The world might eventually open up again.  Let's hope.

I'm not sure society is ready for this to be over the counter. People are pretty stupid and we'd likely see overdoses.

But I am hopeful that it is readily available via a prescription.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'm not sure society is ready for this to be over the counter. People are pretty stupid and we'd likely see overdoses.

But I am hopeful that it is readily available via a prescription.

Well yeah, society is a dangerous ignorant animal. They had to pull diarrhea medicine (imodium/loperamide) from the shelf because teens were grinding it up and snorting it.  I say let Darwin take over.

Some good friends of ours, the wife calls my wife today to ask for prayers for her husband. He was hospitalized today with Covid. Has pneumonia in both lungs. My first question was had they been vaccinated. Of course not. They are ultra right ultra religious devout republican Trump followers. I guess I shouldn’t expect them to be digesting reasonable news sources. I just can’t fathom the thought process in anyone who hasn’t been vaccinated at this point. This whole deal of making science and common sense political is so far out of control.

I’ll hope for the best but it is impossible for me to think this situation wasn’t completely within their control and they chose unwisely.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Some good friends of ours, the wife calls my wife today to ask for prayers for her husband. He was hospitalized today with Covid. Has pneumonia in both lungs. My first question was had they been vaccinated. Of course not. They are ultra right ultra religious devout republican Trump followers. I guess I shouldn’t expect them to be digesting reasonable news sources. I just can’t fathom the thought process in anyone who hasn’t been vaccinated at this point. This whole deal of making science and common sense political is so far out of control.

I’ll hope for the best but it is impossible for me to think this situation wasn’t completely within their control and they chose unwisely.

It seems like, from what we've all heard on the news, that a large portion of the unvaccinated are minorities.... So, Im not sure being pro Trump is a prerequisite to being unvaccinated for Covid. Despite what Trevor Noah and Don Lemon would like us to believe.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Lady I taught with at a different school just host her hubby to covid. 

27 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It seems like, from what we've all heard on the news, that a large portion of the unvaccinated are minorities.... So, Im not sure being pro Trump is a prerequisite to being unvaccinated for Covid. Despite what Trevor Noah and Don Lemon would like us to believe.

Seems they're right though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.brookings.edu/blog/fixgov/2021/10/01/for-covid-19-vaccinations-party-affiliation-matters-more-than-race-and-ethnicity/amp/

According to a report from the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) released on Sept. 28, gaps in vaccination rates across racial and ethnic groups have virtually disappeared—while gaps reflecting political affiliation have widened substantially.  

Of Americans surveyed from Sept. 13-22, 72% of adults 18 and older had been vaccinated, including 71% of white Americans, 70% of Black Americans, and 73% of Hispanics

Contrast these converging figures with disparities based on politics: 90% of Democrats had been vaccinated, compared with 68% of Independents and just 58% of Republicans.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1