The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This bull s#!t is put in place when our cases and deaths have been going down for some time now per worldometer stats.  

Im all for reasonable actions when needed, but this is BS. 

I used to check Worldometer every day. Now I check in more periodically. Surprised to learn the U.S. is still WAY in the lead in infections and deaths worldwide, and at 1,500 deaths a day still ranks up there with the worst weeks of the entire pandemic. 

But the measures you're talking about sound like a flailing, unenforceable over-reach. 

11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So now we aren’t happy about a vaccine mandate?  

Speaking for myself, vaccine mandates could have made a major difference if they would have been instituted as soon as it became clear we were about to fall off a cliff in terms of vaccine intake...which as I recall was in early spring.  Instead, leadership did what they do, which is hope everything would be okay and say 'pretty please get vaccinated', until it was obvious things were gonna get bad again.

So now that we are clearly on the backside of this surge, which most people agree is winding down due to acquired immunity (one way or the other), I'm not sure it makes much sense to be maintaining this stance.  Seems to be a face-saving exercise at this point, rather than 'following the science'.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Speaking for myself, vaccine mandates could have made a major difference if they would have been instituted as soon as it became clear we were about to fall off a cliff in terms of vaccine intake...which as I recall was in early spring.  Instead, leadership did what they do, which is hope everything would be okay and say 'pretty please get vaccinated', until it was obvious things were gonna get bad again.

So now that we are clearly on the backside of this surge, which most people agree is winding down due to acquired immunity (one way or the other), I'm not sure it makes much sense to be maintaining this stance.  Seems to be a face-saving exercise at this point, rather than 'following the science'.

It's winding down, I guess, but we seem to be at max vaccination and still recording the 1,000 - 1,500 daily deaths that were considered a second surge back in the pre-vaccination days. 

58% of the country is fully vaccinated and 95% of fatalities are among the unvaccinated. The unvaccinated lean heavily rural and largely Republican. And it turns out COVID deaths are worst in counties with the largest share of Trump voters.

So yes, I'm a bit torn by vaccine mandates.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/red-covid-coronavirus-deaths-are-highest-in-counties-with-the-largest-share-of-trump-voters-report-11632764116

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's winding down, I guess, but we seem to be at max vaccination and still recording the 1,000 - 1,500 daily deaths that were considered a second surge back in the pre-vaccination days. 

58% of the country is fully vaccinated and 95% of fatalities are among the unvaccinated. The unvaccinated lean heavily rural and largely Republican. And it turns out COVID deaths are worst in counties with the largest share of Trump voters.

So yes, I'm a bit torn by vaccine mandates.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/red-covid-coronavirus-deaths-are-highest-in-counties-with-the-largest-share-of-trump-voters-report-11632764116

The death numbers always lag due to record keeping, so they’re more indicative of where we were 3-4 weeks ago. Even if the truly entrenched folks got their first dose today, it would be nearly Christmas before they could be considered fully vaccinated.  At this point, what’s done is done for this surge, IMO. This mutation has spared seemingly no one as its torn through this country.  I guess the only good news is it will soon run out of dry grass to burn. 

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Aaron Rogers has full on turned into Hansel from zoolander.  

This is so insanely overblown, and ironic as hell from a twitter account called "Resist Programming".

There's zero in that video clip that paints Rodgers as anti-vax or anti-mask, ESPECIALLY anti-mask. He doesn't say anything about masks at all, other than it was a part of things he was researching and sending in.

He claims to be allergic to an ingredient in the mRNA vaccines and doesn't trust the J&J one for a number of different reasons. Probably wrong and stupid, but we need to be able to leave some grey room for people doing their due diligence, trying to make the best informed decision for themselves with medical professionals, even if we disagree with their choices.

Nothing about "I've spent weeks with a team of medical professionals trying to make sure I'm healthy and to learn as much as I can about this" is anywhere in the same universe as qanon or real anti-vax/anti-mask folks.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

This is so insanely overblown, and ironic as hell from a twitter account called "Resist Programming".

There's zero in that video clip that paints Rodgers as anti-vax or anti-mask, ESPECIALLY anti-mask. He doesn't say anything about masks at all, other than it was a part of things he was researching and sending in.

He claims to be allergic to an ingredient in the mRNA vaccines and doesn't trust the J&J one for a number of different reasons. Probably wrong and stupid, but we need to be able to leave some grey room for people doing their due diligence, trying to make the best informed decision for themselves with medical professionals, even if we disagree with their choices.

Nothing about "I've spent weeks with a team of medical professionals trying to make sure I'm healthy and to learn as much as I can about this" is anywhere in the same universe as qanon or real anti-vax/anti-mask folks.

As a Bears fan...I 100% support Rodgers and his fight :)

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But hasn't it largely spared the fully vaccinated people? And isn't that kinda the point? 

Yes. I think my point isn’t that people shouldn’t be vaccinated. It’s that we are at a point where the vast majority of the population has some immunity. This should be taken at face value and shape the policies we institute 

12 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yes. I think my point isn’t that people shouldn’t be vaccinated. It’s that we are at a point where the vast majority of the population has some immunity. This should be taken at face value and shape the policies we institute 

This would be where my thought process is at too.  Policy shouldn’t be backward looking.  

• Plus1 2