The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, question that I haven't found an answer for.

I'm vaccinated since the spring.  I just got out of quarantine a few days before Thanksgiving from having a breakthrough case.

So.....would you wait a few months to get the booster hoping that it's been updated with new variants?  I have a chance to get it tomorrow if I want it.

Definitely ask your doctor, but I don't think there's any clear guidance on the timing between illness and getting the vaccine. I'd probably wait at least a few weeks personally but that's based more on the timing between initial doses than any real evidence.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is a good article, I wonder if in the net it was helpful to still send that last round of checks? 

Overall, I think the stimulus checks did their job. They did not contribute significantly to inflation and helped millions of people. 

In general, I was for the stimulus.  I think they were targeted wrong, but that's another argument.  There are lots of things contributing to inflation, but the stimulus added to it.

However, I am against any more.  There are jobs everywhere and companies are having an extremely hard time finding help all across the country.  Wages are rising and that's a good thing.  But, still no employees to fill jobs.  At this point, stimulus checks would do nothing but add to that portion of what is causing inflation.

I posted a week or so ago an article that showed there are three times more job openings in Nebraska than people looking for jobs.  If someone is sitting at home thinking they need a stimulus check, I'm pretty sure they can find a job or one that pays better.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

In general, I was for the stimulus.  I think they were targeted wrong, but that's another argument.  There are lots of things contributing to inflation, but the stimulus added to it.

However, I am against any more.  There are jobs everywhere and companies are having an extremely hard time finding help all across the country.  Wages are rising and that's a good thing.  But, still no employees to fill jobs.  At this point, stimulus checks would do nothing but add to that portion of what is causing inflation.

I posted a week or so ago an article that showed there are three times more job openings in Nebraska than people looking for jobs.  If someone is sitting at home thinking they need a stimulus check, I'm pretty sure they can find a job or one that pays better.

I agree that stimulus checks are no longer necessary. 

But most of the jobs that are hiring aren't very good. How many places that offer paid family leave, 401k matching, paid vacation and pays 55k, are struggling to hire workers? 

You can't buy a house, start a family, or accomplish life goals based on the jobs that have vacancies right now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I agree that stimulus checks are no longer necessary. 

But most of the jobs that are hiring aren't very good. How many places that offer paid family leave, 401k matching, paid vacation and pays 55k, are struggling to hire workers? 

You can't buy a house, start a family, or accomplish life goals based on the jobs that have vacancies right now. 

I disagree. It doesn’t matter what type of company it is, they are begging for employees. 

I know a large accounting firm in omaha that is out sourcing work to India now because they can’t find accountants. 

The health care industry is in bad shape right now because of lack of nurses. 

this is just two examples. I hear this from everyone I work with no matter the type of company. 

• Plus1 4

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I disagree. It doesn’t matter what type of company it is, they are begging for employees. 

I know a large accounting firm in omaha that is out sourcing work to India now because they can’t find accountants. 

The health care industry is in bad shape right now because of lack of nurses. 

this is just two examples. I hear this from everyone I work with no matter the type of company. 

No offense, but working in Healthcare is not that great of a job. Nursing is a demanding job with a lot of burnout. 

I can't say anything about the accounting job, but what is their hourly pay? Are they outsourcing to India because they don't have American candidates to hire or are they having trouble finding Americans willing to be paid the same as the guy in India?

My friend works at NRG Media in Omaha and that company is complaining about not having workers, but the positions pay 31k a year, it's an insulting joke.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

No offense, but working in Healthcare is not that great of a job. Nursing is a demanding job with a lot of burnout. 

I can't say anything about the accounting job, but what is their hourly pay? Are they outsourcing to India because they don't have American candidates to hire or are they having trouble finding Americans willing to be paid the same as the guy in India?

My friend works at NRG Media in Omaha and that company is complaining about not having workers, but the positions pay 31k a year, it's an insulting joke.

Dude, I don’t know what to tell you, there are jobs everywhere for many pay ranges. 

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Dude, I don’t know what to tell you, there are jobs everywhere for many pay ranges. 

I'm not arguing that there isn't. There are hundreds of job openings in Lincoln alone, with relatively few workers to fill them. Competition for employees is fierce. The same is true for most of the country. 

What I am arguing is that businesses are not willing to pay enough/provide benefits to lure workers. 

Like I mentioned, is the accounting firm you mentioned struggling to find workers despite paying 60k per year, offering paid vacation, paid maternity leave and a comprehensive retirement plan? Or are they complaining that American workers aren't willing to accept pay similar to whatever they're outsourcing the job to India for?

I suspect it's closer to the latter.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

What I am arguing is that businesses are not willing to pay enough/provide benefits to lure workers. 

Wages have increased dramatically to lure workers.  The problem is, with such a shortage, workers aren't there to fill them.  If one company lures an employee from another company, it simply leaves that other company shorter.

9 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Like I mentioned, is the accounting firm you mentioned struggling to find workers despite paying 60k per year, offering paid vacation, paid maternity leave and a comprehensive retirement plan? Or are they complaining that American workers aren't willing to accept pay similar to whatever they're outsourcing the job to India for?

60K would be a very low pay for these jobs.  They are offering more with full benefits, vacation...etc.  Believe me, they would gladly pay more instead of outsourcing to India.  They aren't doing it because it's cheaper.  They need full time accountants.  But, they also typically hire 50 interns in college for tax season. This year they aren't anywhere close to that and they've expanded who they are willing to bring in as interns....and increased pay.  To outsource to India, they have to send people over there to set it up and train which is extremely expensive.  Plus, they are concerned that their clients aren't going to like the fact they have to do that and might lose some.

You say healthcare sucks.  Hmmm...I was told by someone in the industry that simply CNAs are getting $40-50 per hour.  Certified nurses get way more than that.

Bringing this back to the original conversation.  With jobs like these (and there are thousands more like them) we don't need another stimulus package because people can't find jobs.

• Plus1 1

I have been following COVID cases in South Africa since Omicron hit the the news cycle. It’s only been a week. There was a strange 18k increase in one day that looks like a bunch of old data was finally accounted for, but other than that the cases and deaths remain low. According to JHU, South Africa is 24% fully vaccinated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=covid+cases+south+africa&client=safari&channel=ipad_bm&sxsrf=AOaemvJdWQ_0-CHTm_VEvFHY-zlK7UqxHg%3A1638367461512&source=hp&ei=5YCnYfDWG6OoqtsPouK2kAI&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYaeO9bBNRNEAt8FO4ov0YoXM0Jdz-S1W&oq=&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJzIHCCMQ6gIQJ1AAWABgjxNoAXAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCwAQo&sclient=gws-wiz

• Plus1 2
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.  And, that type of data is based on historical data.  Sudden increases aren't going to be fully reflected.  And, I didn't say all CNAs are getting that.  

It's pretty up-to-date. They didn't just double salaries across the whole state.

There may be a few employers paying that right now, but it's an outlier, not the norm. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's pretty up-to-date. They didn't just double salaries across the whole state.

There may be a few employers paying that right now, but it's an outlier, not the norm. 

There are places that are paying what I stated.  But, let's say you're right.  Still not a bad job for a job that doesn't need much education.  The CNA certification takes a short course to become certified.  

I have a relative that works at a major hospital in Omaha.  They are so short of staff that they are becoming very creative in what they are paying and how they are staffing.

Here is one that's paying up to $38.  $20 is the minimum.

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=CNA&l=Omaha%2C NE&vjk=3bb3e2328da5b729&advn=4392104884113073

$30-35

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=CNA&l=Omaha%2C NE&start=20&vjk=026565028a7be34f&advn=4392104884113073

So, not the 40-50 I was told.  But, still, dang good pay for the amount of education as a starting wage.  And, how much are CNAs being paid that have been there for a while?

• Plus1 1