The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Interesting. Natural herd immunity was always the least viable of options, since it entails the deaths of hundreds of thousands. But if people could gain antibodies to fight the more virulent strains of Covid, while only getting mild/no symptoms, all the better. 

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There are places that are paying what I stated.  But, let's say you're right.  Still not a bad job for a job that doesn't need much education.  The CNA certification takes a short course to become certified.  

I have a relative that works at a major hospital in Omaha.  They are so short of staff that they are becoming very creative in what they are paying and how they are staffing.

Here is one that's paying up to $38.  $20 is the minimum.

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=CNA&l=Omaha%2C NE&vjk=3bb3e2328da5b729&advn=4392104884113073

$30-35

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=CNA&l=Omaha%2C NE&start=20&vjk=026565028a7be34f&advn=4392104884113073

So, not the 40-50 I was told.  But, still, dang good pay for the amount of education as a starting wage.  And, how much are CNAs being paid that have been there for a while?

When I click those links, I see nurses most of the jobs at 17-25 per hour. $20 per hour is 800 bucks a week before taxes, which isn't bad if you're single. But if you plan on having kids and put them into daycare, it quickly becomes not worth it. I also think nursing is an extremely difficult job.

I'm not arguing for more stimulus or that there aren't a lot of job openings. But, we're going through a bit of a worker uprising in America, and I don't see it as a bad thing. 

If employers wanted workers as bad as they say, they'd be proving paid leave, on site childcare, retirement and competitive salaries. Until employers start providing the means for workers to enjoy the very basic things in life - like the ability to have a baby and work at the same time - people simply aren't going to put up with working there anymore because it's not worth it.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

When I click those links, I see nurses most of the jobs at 17-25 per hour. $20 per hour is 800 bucks a week before taxes, which isn't bad if you're single. But if you plan on having kids and put them into daycare, it quickly becomes not worth it. I also think nursing is an extremely difficult job.

I'm not arguing for more stimulus or that there aren't a lot of job openings. But, we're going through a bit of a worker uprising in America, and I don't see it as a bad thing. 

If employers wanted workers as bad as they say, they'd be proving paid leave, on site childcare, retirement and competitive salaries. Until employers start providing the means for workers to enjoy the very basic things in life - like the ability to have a baby and work at the same time - people simply aren't going to put up with working there anymore because it's not worth it.

That's all great.  And, I've said that wages are rising and that's a good thing.

But, the problem with your last paragraph is that there aren't workers to entice to the job.  I would agree with it if we were sitting at higher unemployment and still not getting workers.  But, there simply aren't workers.

One of the big issues that adds to this is that I heard a report on NPR the other day saying that typically, there are about 1,000,000 Americans that retire in a year.  Since the pandemic, that has been well over 3,000,000 per year.  That's great for those people who can retire and be happy.  But, it points to a shrinking work force and growing job demand.  That's a bad situation.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The travel nurse pay is bonkers!  

I wonder if those will come back down anytime soon.  

Doubtful. Traveling nurses are always is huge demand and have been for years, but people don't want to do that job apparently. Alaska has really big bonuses for traveling nurses, and I've known a few nurses who have gone there for a few years to help pay off school debt.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Doubtful. Traveling nurses are always is huge demand and have been for years, but people don't want to do that job apparently. Alaska has really big bonuses for traveling nurses, and I've known a few nurses who have gone there for a few years to help pay off school debt.

My buddy is married to a nurse and he teaches, they have thought about "traveling" as a family over the summer to Texas, where his sister lives and staying with them while his wife works and makes bank.

• Plus1 1

My M-I-L is a traveling nurse. She makes a decent money, but has no benefits. That's the trade off, I'd say she comes out slightly ahead after forking out of her paycheck for typical benefits. I'll add if you're willing to go to incredibly risky COVID areas you can make major bank. I'm referring to the typical non-covid, travel nurse experience. 

The worker shortage is largely because it has become too expensive to have kids and raise them into adulthood. We are not replacing the retiring workforce fast enough to maintain our economy. We either need to incentivize people to have more kids, get super OK and enthusiastic about immigration, or get ready for economic contraction. 

Just as we don't have enough workers to maintain our economy, we also aren't replacing the buyers of goods/ services either. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

The worker shortage is largely because it has become too expensive to have kids and raise them into adulthood. We are not replacing the retiring workforce fast enough to maintain our economy. We either need to incentivize people to have more kids, get super OK and enthusiastic about immigration, or get ready for economic contraction. 

There's a lot of truth to this. We went from a society where the Father could own a home & a car and raise three children on a milkman's salary to a society where two college-educated white-collar workers can barely afford one kid and a house. One salary is almost entirely devoted to childcare, especially if you have more than one kid. 

And god help you if you get sick. 

Funny how raising salaries to those levels was never part of MAGA. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

My M-I-L is a traveling nurse. She makes a decent money, but has no benefits. That's the trade off, I'd say she comes out slightly ahead after forking out of her paycheck for typical benefits. I'll add if you're willing to go to incredibly risky COVID areas you can make major bank. I'm referring to the typical non-covid, travel nurse experience. 

Just as we don't have enough workers to maintain our economy, we also aren't replacing the buyers of goods/ services either. 

Yep.  And, the fastest way to remedy this is the bolded.  But, there's too many people who are scared of people from s#!t hole countries.

• Plus1 4
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's all great.  And, I've said that wages are rising and that's a good thing.

But, the problem with your last paragraph is that there aren't workers to entice to the job.  I would agree with it if we were sitting at higher unemployment and still not getting workers.  But, there simply aren't workers.

One of the big issues that adds to this is that I heard a report on NPR the other day saying that typically, there are about 1,000,000 Americans that retire in a year.  Since the pandemic, that has been well over 3,000,000 per year.  That's great for those people who can retire and be happy.  But, it points to a shrinking work force and growing job demand.  That's a bad situation.

It sounds like we have a labor force participation rate issue vs an unemployment rate  issue causing the job market problem. 

• Fire 1