The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It sounds like we have a labor force participation rate issue vs an unemployment rate  issue causing the job market problem. 

That is part of it.  Participation dropped from around 63.5% to around 61.8% from January 2020 till now.

LINK

If you have 2,000,000 more people than normal retiring in a year, that is going to happen.  However, if someone can financially retire and be happy and they are at that age....go for it.  They help cause the problem, but they aren't THE problem....in my mind....if that makes sense.  It's not like they are crying saying they can't find a job and they need financial help so give me a stimulus check.

Another part of the problem, like this, is we are getting deeper and deeper into Baby Boomers retiring.  We also have had a drop in birth rates.  When I was born, it was 2.56 births per woman.  Now it's 1.7.

On top of all that, we have a growing economy.  So, we have fewer people for jobs and more jobs that need filled.

But...hey....let's not fix immigration and let's keep trying to block people who want to work from coming into the country.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know a nurse who has been one of the biggest anti-vaxers I know... along with being one that has always been vocal about how covid is no big deal.

Both of her parents died of Covid over the weekend.

Very sad situation.  I wonder if her attitude is different.

Update on this.  My information was wrong.

Father = Dead

Sister = Dead

Mother = In hospital probably going to die.

The nurse I know thinks she was protected because she was taking Ivermectin.  :facepalm:

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Update on this.  My information was wrong.

Father = Dead

Sister = Dead

Mother = In hospital probably going to die.

The nurse I know thinks she was protected because she was taking Ivermectin.  :facepalm:

at least she doesn't have worms

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is part of it.  Participation dropped from around 63.5% to around 61.8% from January 2020 till now.

LINK

If you have 2,000,000 more people than normal retiring in a year, that is going to happen.  However, if someone can financially retire and be happy and they are at that age....go for it.  They help cause the problem, but they aren't THE problem....in my mind....if that makes sense.  It's not like they are crying saying they can't find a job and they need financial help so give me a stimulus check.

Another part of the problem, like this, is we are getting deeper and deeper into Baby Boomers retiring.  We also have had a drop in birth rates.  When I was born, it was 2.56 births per woman.  Now it's 1.7.

On top of all that, we have a growing economy.  So, we have fewer people for jobs and more jobs that need filled.

But...hey....let's not fix immigration and let's keep trying to block people who want to work from coming into the country.

I’m all for fixing immigration.  Which means I’m for allowing people to come in legally.  Finish the wall, hire way more immigration judges, expedite the process of getting these people on the track to citizenship.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m all for fixing immigration.  Which means I’m for allowing people to come in legally.  Finish the wall, hire way more immigration judges, expedite the process of getting these people on the track to citizenship.

Where is the proposal from either side yo fix it?

Neither side wants to fix it. 

• Plus1 1

LINK

On top of that current Labor Force Participation Rate from Jan 2020, it was 66% in 2008.  This has been a continual problem for over a decade.   Imagine we would be in a much better place with a 66% participation rate. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Oh I agree.  Because neither side wants to do what the other side wants.  At this point I’m fine if both sides get what they want just to get this over with as long as there is a no voting rights rider for 10 years on the current illegal aliens that would be allowed to stay and get a track for citizenship.   

• Plus1 1

Immigration reform has been proposed, possibly by both sides. It needs a super majority to pass  proposals these days. Thus executive orders, which are probably unconstitutional most of the time.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Before even worrying about the wall we need to fix our overly-punitive legislation that incentivizes illegal immigrants to stay here instead of heading back home. 

Making an iron curtain of security shouldn't be anywhere on a priority list if we don't fix the other parts first, because its actual effect is the reverse of its intended one with the laws the way they are. 

• Plus1 2

15 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Oh I agree.  Because neither side wants to do what the other side wants.  At this point I’m fine if both sides get what they want just to get this over with as long as there is a no voting rights rider for 10 years on the current illegal aliens that would be allowed to stay and get a track for citizenship.   

So…..citizens can’t vote. Will they be paying taxes?

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep.  And, the fastest way to remedy this is the bolded.  But, there's too many people who are scared of people from s#!t hole countries.

I completely agree.

I also think we can rethink benefits at work, like having on-site Daycare. The employees in the building next to us hand this, and it seems incredible. From what I understand, employees pay for a portion while the employer covers the rest.

I hope that in addition to immigration, we can rethink our current workforce to tap into a labor pool which would allow for working parents to participate in the workforce. As @KnappIc pointed out, a huge barrier of workforce participation is the cost of childcare. Having two children in daycare is like having a second mortgage, if not more expensive. It's absolutely insane.

• Plus1 2