The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I was joking and I guess I need to spell out my Norm Macdonald dry humor at the bottom of the posts. It doesn’t play well on a message board.  My apologies.  

i certainly know @B.B. Hemingway doesn’t fancy identity politics and we have our own humor thing going.  Remember the cats??  And the take things literally post of your? 

Oh. So I was correct.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

If you live in Omaha...are you for or against a mask mandate?

What say you...

I am against it but I also don't want to end up doing remote teaching again.

I don't want to wear a mask, but I've been wearing one most of the past two years, mandate or not. 

It's just a mask. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I don't want to wear a mask, but I've been wearing one most of the past two years, mandate or not. 

It's just a mask. 

I think you either have a real mandate or nothing at all.

The idea that you have to wear it when you stand up in a bar/restaurant but not when you sit down is insane.  Or in IL they were doing a mandate that you had to have it on but it didn't have to be over your mouth and nose, it could be under your chin but you just had to have it.

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I think you either have a real mandate or nothing at all.

The idea that you have to wear it when you stand up in a bar/restaurant but not when you sit down is insane.  Or in IL they were doing a mandate that you had to have it on but it didn't have to be over your mouth and nose, it could be under your chin but you just had to have it.

Local implementation and enforcement has been spotty, but really we shouldn't need to be told to put our masks over our nose, should we? 

People just need to be responsible and put up with a minor inconvenience once in a while. It's just a mask. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Local implementation and enforcement has been spotty, but really we shouldn't need to be told to put our masks over our nose, should we?  

Laws exist because people do need to be told to do things with real consequences.  Instead, we make the 16 year old hostess into the last line of defense, and then shut the restaurant down if that doesn't work.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

People just need to be responsible and put up with a minor inconvenience once in a while. It's just a mask. 

1 minute ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Laws exist because people do need to be told to do things with real consequences.  Instead, we make the 16 year old hostess into the last line of defense, and then shut the restaurant down if that doesn't work.

I used to be sympathetic to the libertarian idea that we should live and let live and that we don't need big daddy government to make us do the right things. But this pandemic has really highlighted to me that it's not just a fringe of society that willfully does the wrong thing but a large proportion. Makes me realize how we ended up with all the regulations that we have now and why we can't simply rely on people doing the right thing.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I used to be sympathetic to the libertarian idea that we should live and let live and that we don't need big daddy government to make us do the right things. But this pandemic has really highlighted to me that it's not just a fringe of society that willfully does the wrong thing but a large proportion. Makes me realize how we ended up with all the regulations that we have now and why we can't simply rely on people doing the right thing.

Ha...this is sort of what I was thinking as well.

18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The shocking thing about this is that... it's just a mask. That they'll get so balled up about a piece of cloth or medical covering on their face while they're in the store is bonkers. 

• Plus1 1

No people don't do the right thing because of Government.  As soon as this became politicized we were screwed.  Big unreliable, untrustworthy government made this a cluster.  All decisions like this should have been handled on the local level not DC,  I want my politicians that are making decisions to be local.  Close enough so I can reach out and punch them.  

This whole issue was causes by politicians.  Both D and R, they are both worthless.  Get rid of them all.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The shocking thing about this is that... it's just a mask. That they'll get so balled up about a piece of cloth or medical covering on their face while they're in the store is bonkers. 

Watching people throw insane tantrums over it, either way, is good theater!  Ha