The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

32 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I suppose a pretty dumb person could think that. Yes. 

Ha!

I mean, his comment was clearly made to "protect" the party.  I get it because most people do that.  Or maybe he was just joking, hopefully. 

He will probably also tell us that it is only kids or "R" parents. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Anecdotal evidence here but was wondering what others are hearing….

Of the people that I know are boosted, well over 50% and the number is probably close to 80% have gotten Covid since mid December.   Thankfully every single one has done relatively well with it and no hospitalizations.  I’m just surprised at how inefficient the booster is at preventing simple infection.    Vaccines and boosters seem to be doing the main job well still!  

The current vaccines are administered via intramuscular injection which tend to not translocate protection very well to the upper respiratory tract.  Combine that with Omicron being more effective at infecting that tract plus becoming widespread after the development of the current vaccines and we wind up with the situation we have now; lowered protection for symptomatic infection yet still great protection against severe disease such as pneumonia.  When we get intranasal vaccines that also protect against lower respiratory tract we'll be on to something.  That and pan coronavirus vaccines.  Plus, the original estimations that these vaccines would protect at the rate of 95% for asymptomatic disease of a respiratory virus were unrealistic.  These are still modern miracles though.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha!

I mean, his comment was clearly made to "protect" the party.  I get it because most people do that.  Or maybe he was just joking, hopefully. 

He will probably also tell us that it is only kids or "R" parents. 

i thought that would be obvious.   guess some sort of emoji was needed?   and i am old school "R" parent. 

On 1/14/2022 at 7:52 AM, Archy1221 said:

It will be interesting to see what the 2021 numbers show with Delta in there.  

It was always such a crime to lock kids out of their social interactions after the 2020 school year ended.  I understood the need in March and April, maybe even May to finish out the year , but beyond that it was insane for the Fauci’s of the world to cow tow to the teachers unions and not demand kids back in school for their own well being.  

Of course the actual Dr. Fauci  (who doesn't set policy) reported (accurately) that schoolchildren did not appear to be at high risk, nor a source of the spread in the early days of COVID. Then of course the kids and teachers did go back to school. Then as omicron arrived, Dr. Fauci agreed with you. 

https://nypost.com/2022/01/02/dr-fauci-says-its-safe-enough-for-kids-to-be-in-school-despite-omicron-surge/

At the moment the crisis is that a mild but incredibly infectious sickness is affecting a record number of students and decimating the support staff. This is happening in healthcare, too. 

It's obviously more fatal for the people who simply declared Dr. Fauci the enemy and did the opposite. 

Most non-hysterical folk expect the worst to pass in a couple weeks. 

Covid is interested only in its own survival and appears to be mutating in order to infect more people without killing its hosts. In that way it is diminishing itself into its poor non-celebrity cousin, the common cold. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Of course the actual Dr. Fauci  (who doesn't set policy) reported (accurately) that schoolchildren did not appear to be at high risk, nor a source of the spread in the early days of COVID. Then of course the kids and teachers did go back to school. Then as omicron arrived, Dr. Fauci agreed with you.

You must have listened to a fantasy version of Fauci.  It wasn’t till maybe the end of 2020 where Fauci started to finally be a tad bit assertive is saying kids need to be in school regardless of the Covid situation.  

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

You must have listened to a fantasy version of Fauci.  It wasn’t till maybe the end of 2020 where Fauci started to finally be a tad bit assertive is saying kids need to be in school regardless of the Covid situation.  

I’ve been critical of Fauci for several reasons, but this one is a bit unfair. @Guy Chamberlin makes the point above…Fauci doesn’t set policy. His job is to inform and recommend. Most doctors would also recommend we never drink beer or eat ice cream…but since policy makers don’t really consider those recommendations, we don’t vilify doctors. 

Fauci is an expert on infectious disease, not child psychology. Now his role is chief medical advisor, which you could argue encompasses all health matters…but his perspective should be taken into account by gov’t leaders. IMO, he’s either been vilified, ignored, or deified at different points in the pandemic…none of which were appropriate considering the role he actually plays in all this. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

As much as I would like to work from home like most of you get to do now...kids need to be in school.

They need to be around each other, you don't need a degree in kid psychology to know that.  You just need to be a normal person.

Agreed. I can only speak for what I went through with my own kids for the past 2 years, which brought me to the same conclusion. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I am very thankful for the charter school my daughter attends. They made keeping the kids in school  a priority. They spent their COVID money on a new filtration system for the school right away. They staggered classes, lunch periods and recess to keep cohorts away from each other. Masks only to/from class, lunch and recess. Never wore them in the classroom. The end result was my daughter was in remote learning only 1.5 weeks in Nov 2020 and in person the rest of the time. Even when they did remote she was on her chrome book and engaged with the teacher and class. The teachers were prepared to switch back and forth. The school did a phenomenal job navigating the pandemic and no complaints from the staff. The hybrid learning the public schools tried to pull off was a disaster. My older boys go to public HS.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
55 minutes ago, nic said:

I am very thankful for the charter school my daughter attends. They made keeping the kids in school  a priority. They spent their COVID money on a new filtration system for the school right away. They staggered classes, lunch periods and recess to keep cohorts away from each other. Masks only to/from class, lunch and recess. Never wore them in the classroom. The end result was my daughter was in remote learning only 1.5 weeks in Nov 2020 and in person the rest of the time. Even when they did remote she was on her chrome book and engaged with the teacher and class. The teachers were prepared to switch back and forth. The school did a phenomenal job navigating the pandemic and no complaints from the staff. The hybrid learning the public schools tried to pull off was a disaster. My older boys go to public HS.

There may have been a different approach between public and private schools, but there were also different approaches on a per school basis. We have two public high schools less than five miles apart (same county, different districts) that handled things a lot differently, and our public elementary school resumed in-person classes months earlier than our public high school. 

My son's remote learning experience was pretty awful. The move to hybrid for the second semester was flawed, but definitely an improvement. My college daughter just took a semester off.

I'm often reminded that people's memories of the Covid years might be very different based on geography. Not just states but individual towns, and entire rural populations that didn't understand what the fuss was all about.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There may have been a different approach between public and private schools, but there were also different approaches on a per school basis. We have two public high schools less than five miles apart (same county, different districts) that handled things a lot differently, and our public elementary school resumed in-person classes months earlier than our public high school. 

My son's remote learning experience was pretty awful. The move to hybrid for the second semester was flawed, but definitely an improvement. My college daughter just took a semester off.

I'm often reminded that people's memories of the Covid years might be very different based on geography. Not just states but individual towns, and entire rural populations that didn't understand what the fuss was all about.

Point taken. There were Charter schools that did a miserable job because they did nothing and fought against common sense. 

What has happened to kids through this is inexcusable.  Bad school districts in our area have spent most of the last year and a half remote.  We are having to come up with a plan to catch the kids that come to our school.  We are a private school.  We have been mask optional this year.  We have had very few cases.  When we do, it comes because from off campus gatherings.

The public school down the street from us requires masks.  They have a much higher count than us for positive cases.  We have teachers whose kids go there.  They have had a lot of positive cases compared to us.  I have no idea why.  

All I know, is we need to do a better job with getting kids educated.  It was a huge problem before Covid.  We get the opportunity to change the lives of kids that come from the city public schools.  I would be more that happy to have the city public schools do a much better job of educating kids.  Last I knew, they were still remote. 

• Thanks 1