The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The one that amazes me is Boris Johnson who put in place strict lock downs.  Then, attended a party the night before the Queen's husband's funeral where she was forced to sit alone.

Talk about a piece of s#!t.

A little off topic, but I wonder how long they're going to keep up the Royal Family thing? I know tax dollars are wasted all the time, but that's a new level. Take back power, or get out.

This is the type of situation where people's protests against wearing masks gets infuriating.  When you're own personal opinions out weighs someone else's health concerns and you are specifically asked to wear a mask to help in a specific situation.

I wonder if Gorsuch refuses to wear a mask when visiting a hospital.

• Thanks 2
7 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

It was a holiday weekend...a lot of states don't report their numbers.  You'll see quite a jump today.

That will be interesting to see.  And, maybe that was part of it.  However, this was a lot lower than New Years holliday and the deaths were lower than Christmas.

I expect a jump up today simply because more are reported throughout the week.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That will be interesting to see.  And, maybe that was part of it.  However, this was a lot lower than New Years holliday and the deaths were lower than Christmas.

I expect a jump up today simply because more are reported throughout the week.

I use the NYT data, and I don't see that.  I see a low number reported on Sunday, Jan 2nd (286,000 new cases), and a slightly higher number from this past Sunday (337, 000 new cases).  

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I use the NYT data, and I don't see that.  I see a low number reported on Sunday, Jan 2nd (286,000 new cases), and a slightly higher number from this past Sunday (337, 000 new cases).  

On the NYT dash board, both the deaths and cases trend lines have started heading down.  Again, hopefully that trend continues.  I'm not saying that we are in a long term trend.  I'm just pointing out that this is when we would see a downward trend starting if we follow what happened in South Africa.

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if other districts will follow that idea.

Last Friday's "snowday" was a COVID day for most of the districts in the Omaha area. 

It was a chance to get everyone out for a long weekend and hopefully get some kids back in the classroom.

I wonder how lax districts will be with weather closings.  1/2"=snowday????  

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I wonder if other districts will follow that idea.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Last Friday's "snowday" was a COVID day for most of the districts in the Omaha area. 

It was a chance to get everyone out for a long weekend and hopefully get some kids back in the classroom.

I wonder how lax districts will be with weather closings.  1/2"=snowday????  

We're getting to the point where a better idea at this point (IMO) is having students go half-time each day, or two days a week with a buffer day/remote day built it. 

22 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is the type of situation where people's protests against wearing masks gets infuriating.  When you're own personal opinions out weighs someone else's health concerns and you are specifically asked to wear a mask to help in a specific situation.

I wonder if Gorsuch refuses to wear a mask when visiting a hospital.

Looks like the story if false.   Wonder why that would be?

• Plus1 2

meanwhile...in florida

https://www.wmfe.org/pino-put-on-leave-for-encouraging-orange-county-department-of-health-employees-to-get-vaccinated/195298

Orange County Medical Director Dr. Raul Pino wrote an email to staff on Jan. 4th encouraging them to get vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19.

In it he wrote, “I have a hard time understanding how we can be in public health and not practice it.”

After sending the email he was placed on administrative leave.