The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 hours ago, funhusker said:

I always understood the school closures were to limit the spread from kids taking it home and giving it to others.

That’s why most schools didn’t hesitate to reopen with masks in August of 2020; In Nebraska.

And a lot of teachers saw it as their chance to teach without really teaching.

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And a lot of teachers saw it as their chance to teach without really teaching.

You are the only teacher that I know that seemed to enjoy it.

Everyone in my building and that I talk to in my district HATED it.  Even the PE teachers because the felt like they were stealing.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, funhusker said:

You are the only teacher that I know that seemed to enjoy it.

Everyone in my building and that I talk to in my district HATED it.  Even the PE teachers because the felt like they were stealing.

Oh no, I hated it.  It almost seemed harder to teach remote.  The only plus was the freedom of being at home.

But look at some of the huge school districts (Chicago especially) and they were doing all they could to stay virtual.  

17 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Never thought you'd be an advocate for Booster shots, which this study is effectively advocating for. I welcome the penetration of science into the MAGAverse.

"Meaning Among children and adolescents, estimated vaccine effectiveness for 2 doses of BNT162b2 against symptomatic infection decreased rapidly, and among adolescents increased after a booster dose."

Conclusions

"Among children and adolescents, estimated VE for 2 doses of BNT162b2 against symptomatic infection was modest and decreased rapidly. Among adolescents, the estimated effectiveness increased after a booster dose."

Also, the part about symptomatic COVID was interesting. It was, wait for it, self-reported. Who knew that symptomatic people would be more likely to report symptoms. This is why that fun part was left out of the CONCLUSION section.

"...self-report demographic information (including race and ethnicity selected from fixed categories, shown in the Table), COVID-19–like illness symptoms..." (this was followed by a long list of symptoms they could select). 

• Plus1 2

As far my family, all 16 and older are vaxed. No one is boosted. My daughter under 12 has had nothing. We didn’t see a need for that.  We questioned whether to get the teenage boys vaxed, but ended up doing it just before delta. We have had close contact with both asymptomatic and symptomatic people that were confirmed positive, but no one in my family has ever tested positive. one of my teenage boy seemed like he had symptoms very similar to Omicron in January and BA2 in April. The doc thought he had it, too, but multiple tests on various days after symptoms were never positive. I wonder if the home kits just do not work well. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Never thought you'd be an advocate for Booster shots, which this study is effectively advocating for.

I’m not an advocate for booster shots in kids nor am I an advocate in Covid shots for kids.  3 of my 4 haven’t had a single shot.  I also don’t care if others feel the need to vaccinate their kids.  Whatever helps people feel safe is great.  Hospitalizations and death rates have developed my decision on this not symptoms. 

By the way…

Seventh, due to the short time (6.5 weeks) since adolescents 12 to 15 years old were recommended for a booster dose, this analysis was unable to estimate booster VE over time in adolescents.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 5/23/2022 at 1:39 PM, Archy1221 said:

It doesn’t presumably show that.  It actually does show that. 

Ironically, vaccinations kept that number low and our hospital system from collapsing. 

The reason the death rates for lower age groups is lower is because there's actually care available for them.

This is what conservatives fail to understand: our hospital system was on the brink of collapse multiple times. Vaccinations kept hospitals from being overrun, death rates would've went much higher if the option for treatment simply wasn't there. Think of what happened in NYC early in the pandemic, where hundreds of deaths occurred simply because oxygen or a hospital bed wasn't available. 

• Plus1 2
16 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

This is what conservatives fail to understand: our hospital system was on the brink of collapse multiple times.

It's not as much that they don't understand, it's that they don't care. They're only concerned about things that directly affect them. If they didn't need hospitalization or they didn't lose a loved one, there's no reason for concern.

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Ironically, vaccinations kept that number low and our hospital system from collapsing. 

The reason the death rates for lower age groups is lower is because there's actually care available for them.

This is what conservatives fail to understand: our hospital system was on the brink of collapse multiple times. Vaccinations kept hospitals from being overrun, death rates would've went much higher if the option for treatment simply wasn't there. Think of what happened in NYC early in the pandemic, where hundreds of deaths occurred simply because oxygen or a hospital bed wasn't available. 

Why do you keep talking to me about vaccinations for adults?   You act as if I’m against them?  

You forget that deaths also occurred because doctors didn’t know how to treat a novel virus or have some tools that worked against early iterations of it.  Early vent use as an example 

• Plus1 2