The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Why do you keep talking to me about vaccinations for adults?   You act as if I’m against them?  

You forget that deaths also occurred because doctors didn’t know how to treat a novel virus or have some tools that worked against early iterations of it.  Early vent use as an example 

You vote for a political party that has made it a point to distrust vaccines, thus leading to huge and unnecessary deaths. Thus, millions of voters either agree with their party line or choose not to care.

You are correct that their understanding wasn't as good as it is today, but still:  that understanding is only useful if there is space in the hospital for the patient. A reality we were extremely close to living through many times. 

• Plus1 4

I know a lot of people learned they could work from home. If it works for everyone great.  I’m all for allowing people to work how they want. 

However, I’m tired of trying to get ahold of someone in a company and being told “everyone is working from home, so we will need to have them call you” then nobody calls. 

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know a lot of people learned they could work from home. If it works for everyone great.  I’m all for allowing people to work how they want. 

However, I’m tired of trying to get ahold of someone in a company and being told “everyone is working from home, so we will need to have them call you” then nobody calls. 

Well, I only got to "work from home" for like 6 weeks and after about week 3 I became the poster child for why working from home is not really working.

• Plus1 2

Covid: World’s true pandemic death toll nearly 15 million, says WHO

The WHO believes many countries undercounted the numbers who died from Covid -- only 5.4 million were reported. In India, there were 4.7 million Covid deaths, it says - 10 times the official figures -- and almost a third of Covid deaths globally. The Indian government has questioned the estimate, saying it has "concerns" about the methodology, but other studies have come to similar conclusions about the scale of deaths in the country.

The measure used by the WHO is called excess deaths - how many more people died than would normally be expected based on mortality in the same area before the pandemic hit. These calculations also take into account deaths which were not directly because of Covid but instead caused by its knock-on effects, like people being unable to access hospitals for the care they needed. It also accounts for poor record-keeping in some regions, and sparse testing at the start of the crisis. But the WHO said the majority of the extra 9.5 million deaths seen above the 5.4 million Covid deaths reported were thought to be direct deaths caused by the virus, rather than indirect deaths.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is the right thing to do.

What is the difference of me getting on a plane in Mexico and flying to Denver than me getting on a plane in Los Angeles and flying to Denver?

Very much agree and just in time for a family trip planned this summer.   Happy about this change.  Well done Joe.  C.C @JJ Husker

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What is the difference of me getting on a plane in Mexico and flying to Denver than me getting on a plane in Los Angeles and flying to Denver?

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Very much agree and just in time for a family trip planned this summer.   Happy about this change.  Well done Joe.  C.C @JJ Husker

Yes, this will be helpful.

My daughter is currently on a two week tour of Europe with a group of about 40 from a Nebraska HS (her boyfriend’s dad is one of the teacher chaperones) About a dozen in the group tested positive two days ago in Munich, her boyfriend and his dad among the positives.  She and 20+ others were able to continue on to Prague. Today was the official “testing” day and more in her group will be having to stay behind. Nobody is feeling particularly ill. 

17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My daughter is currently on a two week tour of Europe with a group of about 40 from a Nebraska HS (her boyfriend’s dad is one of the teacher chaperones) About a dozen in the group tested positive two days ago in Munich, her boyfriend and his dad among the positives.  She and 20+ others were able to continue on to Prague. Today was the official “testing” day and more in her group will be having to stay behind. Nobody is feeling particularly ill. 

Hope their trip ends on a positive note and they all stay healthy even with the positive diagnosis. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess the good ol' days of faking a positive COVID test to remain on vacation are over.  Thanks Joe.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Hope their trip ends on a positive note and they all stay healthy even with the positive diagnosis. 

Thanks. 8 more tested positive today, the official test day before returning tomorrow. Thats 20 out of 40+/-. None of them were sick when they left two weeks ago. But they’ve been to some pretty heavily attended tourists areas. London while the Queens Jubilee was going on, Paris, Lucerne, Munich, Dachau and Prague. Lots of travel in planes, buses and trains.  Daughter says her throat is getting scratchy today so she’ll prob test positive soon but at least she can return home as scheduled. Just not sure how she’s going to get from Omaha to Lincoln since everyone she went to the airport with is stuck in either Munich or Prague. Hopefully everyone else can return Sunday when the travel ban expires.

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh man...I passed on being a chaperone for this but the group I would have went with made it back with no issues...

Well...no covid issues!  There were other issues from what I heard!  Like they say...when in Rome! (Or Paris)

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Oh man...I passed on being a chaperone for this but the group I would have went with made it back with no issues...

Well...no covid issues!  There were other issues from what I heard!  Like they say...when in Rome! (Or Paris)

Yeah, I think the school may be real close to your neck of the woods. You may even know my daughter’s boyfriend’s dad…:ohnoes