The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I'd say social media and focus on data over learning has had a far greater impact on the mental state of our youth.

You Definitely Could be right on that.  The reason I linked the article and said “indirectly” was because there has been a bigger than normal change for the worse which some of these experts are correlating to the time of Covid tearing up.  

Could be related to a variety of factors like you said.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

COVID has had 0 impact on my kids as far as school performance and stress. 2 years post "shut down," their daily lives are right back where they were. The impact on my kids are the direct impact of changes in curriculum, the inability to hire quality teachers, which means my 4th grader is now operating on a high-school like schedule-rotating classes, without a room to call home, or a teacher he spends all day with. Your insistence that student mental health is based on COVID means you rejected or did not even read the 2014 study and 2019 study that I shared in my post indicating that student stress and depression levels were already at this heightened state and rising pre-pandemic. The only difference is now there is a scapegoat allowing people to escape culpability and score political points. These mental health rates among youth are a result of systemic failure of the school system not COVID. Blaming COVID allows a certain group of people to continue to ignore the issue, further neglect and underfund schools, because "this is a COVID issue and only impacts students who lived through it." - It is nothing more than a BS cop-out. 

This is a huge issue.  As class sizes grow, teachers aren't able to form actual relationships as easily as we could with smaller class sizes.

Imagine being a 10-year old that feels like "just another number" all day long.  I'm not surprised they feel depressed.  Sadly, many feel like they are forgotten in school and go home to an empty house because Mom and Dad are working or just plain don't give a rip...

EDIT: I could see this being connected to COVID because it was around late 2020 when teachers went from "heroes" to "indoctrinators".  That probably took the biggest toll in our building.  Enough parents all of a sudden felt comfortable treating us like crap and several teachers decided it wasn't worth it.

This could all probably be put in the "Education" thread.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is a huge issue.  As class sizes grow, teachers aren't able to form actual relationships as easily as we could with smaller class sizes.

Imagine being a 10-year old that feels like "just another number" all day long.  I'm not surprised they feel depressed.  Sadly, many feel like they are forgotten in school and go home to an empty house because Mom and Dad are working or just plain don't give a rip...

EDIT: I could see this being connected to COVID because it was around late 2020 when teachers went from "heroes" to "indoctrinators".  That probably took the biggest toll in our building.  Enough parents all of a sudden felt comfortable treating us like crap and several teachers decided it wasn't worth it.

The alarming rise in teenage depression, suicide, and social anxiety definitely pre-dates COVID. 

My sources say the more direct COVID outcome is basically a two-year setback on academics, sociability and life-readiness. Kids simply aren't where they should be. 

In the meantime........all the research about social media addictions and Tik Tok algorithms is pretty well documented and creepy as s#!t.  

My wife is in the mental health field and everyone seems to agree that COVID simply exacerbated everything that was already wrong. 

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with much of your first paragraph on the educational system.  

as far as the rest, if you are trying to say Covid hasn’t had a big affect mentally on the youth, then I can’t disagree more.  

Someone said the issues in your tweet are state wide in Nebraska. If that’s the case, it’s not because of Covid.  Other than the spring of 2020, our schools have been pretty much normal.  

So, why would western Nebraska kids be having these same issues?

For the record, I agree that some school systems were shut down way too long and I’m sure that had some negative affect on the kids. 

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Someone said the issues in your tweet are state wide in Nebraska. If that’s the case, it’s not because of Covid.  Other than the spring of 2020, our schools have been pretty much normal.  

So, why would western Nebraska kids be having these same issues?

For the record, I agree that some school systems were shut down way too long and I’m sure that had some negative affect on the kids. 

I think it was funhusker who mentioned NE schools statewide.   I guess when I posted that article, I wasn’t just thinking about how only school affected the kids but also just the anxiety of Covid, the limited school closures, having to see loved ones die, etc.   all of that combined with the uptick in social media and it all combines to exacerbate any mental health problems kids have been having.  It’s why I mentioned to me it was indirectly Covid related.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, funhusker said:

Your insistence that student mental health is based on COVID

I never said this:dunno.  Why do you insist on making this about me when all I said in my original post was sharing a WAPO (not really Republican idealism poet) article and saying “this is indirectly related to Covid” and that it’s a shame mental health issues are on the rise.  

My second post directed to you did say that Covid has had an effect on kids mental health, and that is absolutely true.  @Guy Chamberlineven spelled out reasons his professionally trained wife has seen Covid exacerbate pre-existing issue that have affected mental health.   Guy, I hope I’m not speaking out of turn and read your post correctly.    No one here is making this political but you.  

Take a chill pill.  

At some point the mental health discussion needs to move into public policy, and the politics that come with it. 

Proposals to shift at least some police funding away from things like armored military vehicles and into mental health intervention got lost in the Defund the Police hysteria, but with a little tweaking it could get bipartisan support. 

A lot of mental health services were gutted in the 1980s. I'm not pointing any partisan fingers, but.....it was Reagan's GOP trimming down any and all things government, and promoting the stigma that mental health can be cured by just pulling up your bootstraps.  

Strangely enough, COVID may have created a bit more empathy/sympathy for people who struggle with daily life. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I never said this:dunno.  Why do you insist on making this about me when all I said in my original post was sharing a WAPO (not really Republican idealism poet) article and saying “this is indirectly related to Covid” and that it’s a shame mental health issues are on the rise.  

My second post directed to you did say that Covid has had an effect on kids mental health, and that is absolutely true.  @Guy Chamberlineven spelled out reasons his professionally trained wife has seen Covid exacerbate pre-existing issue that have affected mental health.   Guy, I hope I’m not speaking out of turn and read your post correctly.    No one here is making this political but you.  

Take a chill pill.  

I’m not sure what’s going on, but that quote is not something I ever typed.

37 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’m not sure what’s going on, but that quote is not something I ever typed.

Ya that’s super weird???  I just looked at who the reply was attributed to and it shows as you.   Born was the person who I did the quote function on though?    Sorry you got involved somehow, but it wasn’t meant to be from me.  

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, funhusker said:

Dude, soooo right!

Normies turned on us sooooo fast (Shockingly, Firemen are still heros) but the crazy normies went bonkers on us, both sides.

You had the "you should shut up and never talk about your private life" and the "On my god, you should tell them that they can pick their gender and that their parents are crazy" people.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

RSV has been prolific, and I know here there are a ton  of hospitalizations (adult & kids) with it.

Pretty sure I just spent three weeks with it.

Not sure if RSV is the culprit, but I just found out that 100 out of 400 kids at our elementary school were out sick yesterday,

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It will be interesting to see what caused the high rate of deaths still this year. 

Covid is still killing people especially the unvaxxed.  January through March it was killing nearly 2000 Americans a day, out pacing cancer at that time  It's gotten better but it's still killing around 400 a day.  So even if we get it down to a minimal level, all other things being equal, our death rate will be higher than before it arrived on the scene because it's an add-on.  

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1254560/leading-causes-of-death-in-the-us-average-number-daily/

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2