The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Pretty sure I just spent three weeks with it.

Not sure if RSV is the culprit, but I just found out that 100 out of 400 kids at our elementary school were out sick yesterday,

I had something for about that long as well - assuming it was RSV based on who around me was sick.  Missed three days of work and I can't recall a time when I've had to do that before.  Cough hung around for 3-4 more weeks.  Miserable.  Hope you're feeling better.

13 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

60% of deaths now are coming from the vaccinated group.  Since April 

Of those how many were boosted? 

The vaccinated group is also nearly 80% of the population.  If the population was 100% vaccinated, then a 100% of the deaths would be from those that were vaccinated.  Simple math.  

The point still stands though.  Covid is still killing people. Enough to impact the excess deaths numbers.  Being vaccinated and boosted greatly reduces your chances of death, hospitalization, and long Covid.    

• Thanks 2
  • TBH 3
9 hours ago, Scarlet said:

The vaccinated group is also nearly 80% of the population.  If the population was 100% vaccinated, then a 100% of the deaths would be from those that were vaccinated.  Simple math.  

The point still stands though.  Covid is still killing people. Enough to impact the excess deaths numbers.  Being vaccinated and boosted greatly reduces your chances of death, hospitalization, and long Covid.    

Simple Math...sounds like an 80's band.

10 hours ago, Scarlet said:

I agree with much of what you say there.  I was just pointing out that majority of deaths are in vaccinated group, which I didn’t realize up until lately.   I thought that to be strange since the vaccines were supposed to prevent serious disease and death.  Nothing is full proof obviously, but I was surprised at the amount of people dying.  Age seems the biggest underlying factor.  

Here is the info you asked for btw.  Kaiser does a good job breaking it all down.  Though I wish they would break down the age group even further at the end.  They only have two groups, 18-65 and older than 65.   That’s quite the range:)

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/why-do-vaccinated-people-represent-most-covid-19-deaths-right-now/

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree with much of what you say there.  I was just pointing out that majority of deaths are in vaccinated group, which I didn’t realize up until lately.   I thought that to be strange since the vaccines were supposed to prevent serious disease and death.  Nothing is full proof obviously, but I was surprised at the amount of people dying.  Age seems the biggest underlying factor.  

Here is the info you asked for btw.  Kaiser does a good job breaking it all down.  Though I wish they would break down the age group even further at the end.  They only have two groups, 18-65 and older than 65.   That’s quite the range:)

https://www.kff.org/policy-watch/why-do-vaccinated-people-represent-most-covid-19-deaths-right-now/

I think what is defined as "vaccinated" gets a little fuzzy since Omicron found it's way around the original vaccines.  If someone isn't boosted especially with the latest bivalent vaccine, the first series of vaccines have waned are now less effective.  This shows however that if a person is vaxxed and boosted with the bivalent shot they are 19 times less likely to die than the unvaxxed.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.verifythis.com/amp/article/news/verify/coronavirus-verify/vaccinated-people-not-more-likely-to-die-from-covid-fact-check/536-bba3d8a1-6531-4497-895f-8a2937d6e0c7

A VERIFY analysis of CDC data on the last date available, Sept. 25, found among deaths reported that week, vaccinated people were 5 times less likely to die than those who are unvaccinated, and people who received the bivalent booster were 19 times less likely to die than the unvaccinated. 

Only about 12% of the population 5 and older have received an updated bivalent booster.  

We all had hopes that original series of vaccines would have stopped Covid in it's tracks.  Then Omicron came along from a completely different branch of the tree and that impacted the effectiveness of the original vaccines.  At this point it's what we're dealing with and for me personally the risk of things like long Covid make staying on top of my vaccinations more important than the risk from the vaccines themselves. It's a decision of percentages.

What's concerning now is China easing their mitigation steps combined with their crappy vaccines.  Let's all hope some more virulent, more immune evasive variant doesn't come rolling out of there.  

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
9 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

What's concerning now is China easing their mitigation steps combined with their crappy vaccines.  Let's all hope some more virulent, more immune evasive variant doesn't come rolling out of there. 

I firmly believe that China is going to see a major uptick in Covid related sickness.  You can't have your entire society locked down like that to stay away from it, then open up without more people getting sick.  But, ultimately, they need to open back up.

25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

So, I am vaxxed as is everyone I know...but a lot of vaxxers are starting to act like soccer fans.

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

We don't need Dr. Fauci or any reputable scientific expert. 

We have this little man...

Listen to him and go catch Covid.  You will be safer then.  (NOTE TO SOME POSTERS I AM DEFINITELY F'N KIDDING.  DO NOT GO OUT AND TRY TO CATCH COVID)

A six second clip:dunno  LOL

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I firmly believe that China is going to see a major uptick in Covid related sickness.  You can't have your entire society locked down like that to stay away from it, then open up without more people getting sick.  But, ultimately, they need to open back up.

I’m old enough to remember when people here called the Governor of Florida, “Deathsantis” for opening up the state:dunno

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm also old enough to understand the nuances of when certain lockdowns were more appropriate than others.

The only “nuance” was March April into May.  Beyond that, any hint of lockdowns we’re not needed.  We all knew what we were dealing with at that point and people could make informed decisions on their own of how risk averse they wanted to be.  

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1