The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

11 hours ago, nic said:

You sound more frustrated than me. :DI just like poking fun at Twitter and I feel good when I called BS back about their selective fake news labels and a few years later people come around. In this instance, they probably only flagged the Wuhan lab leak theory because Trump said it, so it must be false. To answer your question I posted this because I like making fun of Twitter. I have no idea whether COVID came from the lab but it certainly seemed plausible at the time.

Not frustrated, just trying to understand your latest drive by post and why it rustled your jimmies. Do you have any examples of what was labeled misinformation regarding the origins of COVID? Because Twitter had a blog that outlined there methodology for flagging or removing posts/accounts. Just curious if your example would fit in there.

Turns out there were 10 U.S. agencies tasked with evaluating the roots of COVID.  The DOE was one of two agencies that believed lab leak was the more likely explanation. Six agencies concluded wet market/natural transmission was the more likely explanation. Two agencies admitted they just didn't know. 

Seems to me the victory laps are a bit premature. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

On 2/28/2023 at 12:27 PM, Archy1221 said:

Fun fact for you…..sea levels have risen some 400 feet the last 20,000 years.  Gotta be all those cars driven those last 20,000 years.  Or it could also be that the climate changes on its own and humans probably have some small component to that.   Far different than man made climate change as a whole. 

Hahahahahahaha.

This is hilarious. The DOE report about lableak confirms your worldview and thus must be true but overwhelming scientific evidence pointing to human caused climate change attacks my conservative identity and therefore must be false. Such is the duality of modern conservatism.

Glad to know your commitment to science is apolitical and in no way do you pick and choose what (poorly) suits your belief system.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 5

If it matters what I think, my money is on a leak from the Wuhan Lab. I think it’s overly coincidental that the first cases were near Wuhan and that lab happens to “study” the Coronavirus. Toss in an unhealthy dose of coverup and obfuscation by China and well….

The only thing I’m not completely convinced of is if that lab was trying to weaponize the virus and if the “leak” was intentional or accidental. I’m all but ruling out natural occurrence.

But even I realize that is speculation if and until we are able to get more information or access which may never come. None of our agencies reports prove anything and do not illicit a high level of confidence.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

Climate changes from a variety of atmospheric influences. Often dramatically. That's how it's always been. 

7.8 billion humans are among latest Earthly influences. Humans are nature. It's part of the same continuum. 

Given that two trillion tons of carbon dioxide have been released into the Earth's atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution, it's not a huge stretch to figure in some cause and effect. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The DOE report about lableak confirms your worldview and thus must be true

It’s not a world view, it’s actually just a view about a virus origin.  But nice hyperbolic deflection. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

and thus must be true

Nope.   It’s a sentiment and not proven true.  Again nice hyperbolic deflection 

• Fire 1
13 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s not a world view, it’s actually just a view about a virus origin.  But nice hyperbolic deflection. 

Nope.   It’s a sentiment and not proven true.  Again nice hyperbolic deflection 

I'm not deflecting anything. I'm simply pointing out the absurd nature of modern conservatism and the lengths individuals go through to make their conservative identity work.

I fully support research and further investigations into the origins of COVID-19. It is still most likely occurred naturally, but it's possible (although improbable) that it originated in a lab.

What I find amusing is that Conservatives like you latch onto the DOE report as if it's gospel - because you WANT it to be true. Conservatives have to reject reality to make their conservative identity make sense. So the nanosecond an institution publishes something that confirms any portion of that identity, its latched onto - despite what any number of other reports or studies say about the matter.

Furthermore, scientific findings and near total agreement among scientists about climate change is rejected because it runs counter to your conservative identity. The same can be said about scientific findings about COVID death rates in counties that voted for Trump, efficacy of vaccines or Ivermectin or any number of things. This is not treated with the same vigor because it runs counter to the Conservative identity - and it would really suck if conservative voting led to all these terrible outcomes and therefore must be false. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 3