The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

A Medical Worker Describes Terrifying Lung Failure From COVID-19 — Even in His Young Patients

"This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people.

“I have patients in their early 40s and, yeah, I was kind of shocked. I’m seeing people who look relatively healthy with a minimal health history, and they are completely wiped out, like they’ve been hit by a truck. This is knocking out what should be perfectly fit, healthy people. Patients will be on minimal support, on a little bit of oxygen, and then all of a sudden, they go into complete respiratory arrest, shut down and can’t breathe at all.”

“Before this, we were all joking. It’s grim humor. If you are exposed to the virus and test positive and go on quarantine, you get paid. We were all joking: I want to get the coronavirus because then I get a paid vacation from work. And once I saw these patients with it, I was like, Holy s#!t, I do not want to catch this and I don’t want anyone I know to catch this.

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm an RT, seems like he's describing pulmonary edema and ARDS - just across a wider range of pt's than he is used to. Pink Frothy secretions is textbook edema, and usually caused by congestive heart failure. I'm guessing heart issues stacked on top of Covid is a huge chunk of these deaths - you're talking acute (Covid) on chronic (CHF). 

My guess is they will need to put a protocol in for vent usage at some point. Say if you're over 75 and/or have a chronic health problem, you will not receive invasive measures. Those people are very hard to wean off a ventilator under normal circumstances, let alone Covid. (In all honestly count me out for CPR and intubation if I'm a day over 75, very low odds of coming back if you need heroic measures past a certain age, my personal preference).

Last thing, it was odd how he was describing the vented patients, struggling to breathe and grabbing at the tube. That's gonna be any patient vented, not a comfortable experience for anyone, 99% of the time in Omaha hospitals if you are vented you will be sedated and restrained - unless we are trying to wean you off the vent. 

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Italy recoded 793 deaths in one day. 

But, people are over reacting. 

I'm not disputing your conclusion about people over reacting, but just want to add to the eye popping numbers. Lombardy region alone has almost passed China in fatalities with 3100. Lombardy has 1/6 of Italy's population and 65% of its deaths. What happened there? Poor case tracking? Overrun hospitals (given). That region has just been a massacre. 

14 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm not disputing your conclusion about people over reacting, but just want to add to the eye popping numbers. Lombardy region alone has almost passed China in fatalities with 3100. Lombardy has 1/6 of Italy's population and 65% of its deaths. What happened there? Poor case tracking? Overrun hospitals (given). That region has just been a massacre. 

Someone posted it somewhere - the fashion industry was employing people from China and they had a lot of flights from the Wuhan province. So I believe they started out with a higher # of infected, and since the virus started in China, perhaps they didn't even realize it was already in Italy when they started hearing about it so they didn't react as fast as China did. Just a guess.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Someone posted it somewhere - the fashion industry was employing people from China and they had a lot of flights from the Wuhan province. So I believe they started out with a higher # of infected, and since the virus started in China, perhaps they didn't even realize it was already in Italy when they started hearing about it so they didn't react as fast as China did. Just a guess.

That was me, haha. Italy just seems like such an outlier to me. Not saying it won't get bad here, but the Pacific Northwest should be like Lombardy by now if we we're tracking the same as Italy. There's just more to the story there. 

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

That was me, haha. Italy just seems like such an outlier to me. Not saying it won't get bad here, but the Pacific Northwest should be like Lombardy by now if we we're tracking the same as Italy. There's just more to the story there. 

Is the growth factor there higher?