The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

52 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm sure they prefaced it with the information about increased testing. The numbers are going to be very muddy for another week I would guess. It's great that people are being tested, but it's going to make it hard to tell what's really happening for a bit.

Michigan is officially under a Stay-At-Home order after midnight tonight.

My fiance had a bunch of PTO she had to use the last couple weeks. She's going in for her first ICU shift this week since this blew up. Her floor doesn't have any COVID patients, but we're both still nervous. We'll probably stay away from each other as best we can in our little condo for awhile. s#!t sucks...

Not really.  They just kept saying how large the increase was and flashing the map and the scary numbers and percentages on the screen.

I feel you. My wife's nursing home doesn't have the testing for the patients they are most concerned about.  Yeah, this is suvk s#!t.  

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Not to and from while in your own car. South Korea did massive numbers of drive-through testing for that very reason. The US is starting to get drive-through testing up and running.

I think we both know that drive thru testing isn't going to be realistic for every state, county and city/town.  And even if it were, there are going to be those that don't utilize it.

Just now, Redux said:

I think we both know that drive thru testing isn't going to be realistic for every state, county and city/town.  And even if it were, there are going to be those that don't utilize it.

Probably, but South Korea showed that drive thru testing can be done at a massive scale. It's one way to reduce the spread. I'm not sure what you're suggesting though. Not doing testing?

A lot of us are holding our breath as Donald Trump realizes that the same power that allows him to direct public funds to private enterprises in order to protect public health, small businesses, and at-risk workers, also allows him to direct public funds to his perceived corporate allies who typically feather their nests with taxpayer bailouts. The GOP is fighting provisions that make sure the most vulnerable taxpayers get financial assistance from their own tax dollars, and prevent C-suite executives from using taxpayer dollars for stock buybacks. 

Have you ever hear the phrase "Privatizing Profit and Socializing Risk?" If American needs to understand one over-arching hypocrisy in this country, it's this. 

There's a scenario for emerging from this with a deeper compassion, a better understanding of what this nation can afford when it needs to, and a healthier appreciations of scientists and public healthcare workers. There's also a much darker scenario where a terrified upperclass just finishes the deal and builds a gated community around itself. 

• Plus1 2

In fairness to these Spring Breakers, literally nobody everyone could have seen this coming!

Florida university announces 5 spring breakers tested positive for coronavirus

The University of Tampa in Florida announced at least five students have tested positive for coronavirus after traveling with other students on a spring break trip.

"UT has been notified that five UT students, traveling together and with other UT students during Spring Break, have tested positive for COVID-19," the university announced over the weekend. "We sincerely wish our students, and any others who may be affected, a full and rapid recovery." 

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Not to and from while in your own car. South Korea did massive numbers of drive-through testing for that very reason. The US is starting to get drive-through testing up and running.

They should turn the closed restaurants into this...