The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

McConnell's plans consistently ask for half a trillion dollars of money to be given to corporations at the discretion of Trump stooge Mnuchin, with zero oversight and FOR SOME CRAZY PANTS REASON they want to keep the names of the businesses who got that money secret for six months (and they'll delay release of that info until after the election).

McConnell's plan again continually leaves out healthcare protections for American workers. It leaves out coverage for COVID testing for Americans. It leaves out any safeguards for workers in these industry bailouts.

So the Democrats, rightly, keep saying no.

And then there's this psycho, who is responsible for cutting the funding for pandemic prep out of the 2009 stimulus bill.

And now she has the gall to stand on the floor and go on like this.

Here's the Democrats' bill.  Notice anything different?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

52 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's also a much darker scenario where a terrified upperclass just finishes the deal and builds a gated community around itself. 

I suspect that is what the GOP is doing now. 

It seems to me that the Dems have the better perspective on this bailout.  Send the funds to those who need it and prevent corp from supporting their stock price with it.  If one was ever in doubt what party stands for the common man, it is pretty clear now. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

With an exaggerating at best, to lying and deceiving at worst, our president is often at odds with the scientists in the room.  Dr Fauci's predicament is to figure out how to walk that fine line of getting out the truth wtout being fired.

https://www.thehour.com/opinion/article/I-know-but-what-do-you-want-me-to-do-Fauci-s-15150393.php

I wish Fauci would stand up to Trump’s misinformation more.  Trump isn’t firing Fauci, because that would cause an enormous uproar.  Pretty much guaranteeing Trump’s defeat in November.  

4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I wish Fauci would stand up to Trump’s misinformation more.  Trump isn’t firing Fauci, because that would cause an enormous uproar.  Pretty much guaranteeing Trump’s defeat in November.  

That's what I don't get about Trumps actions thus far. He wants to get reelected but he is bungling his best chance to show strength as a leader. If he handled this situation competently he would almost guarantee his victory in November 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

That's not helpful. I don't understand what point you're trying to make and am asking for clarification.

No.....not suggesting we don't do testing. The point is obviously that even if someone goes and gets testing they can still get it after the fact.  You might feel that doesn't need to be said. Yet we live in a world where coffee cups have to say that contents inside are hot and a bunch of spring breakers just willingly jumped into a petri dish because YOLO.

• Plus1 2

The growth rate has more or less hit a stage of 10,000 new cases per day and 100 new deaths per day.

We're up to 504 deaths and 41,569 cases. The scary thing is, you'd expect the cases number to rise at an exponential rate over the deaths as more and more people get tested and documented. But the opposite is currently happening, we're getting more deaths per case now than we were a week ago. 

23 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The growth rate has more or less hit a stage of 10,000 new cases per day and 100 new deaths per day.

We're up to 504 deaths and 41,569 cases. The scary thing is, you'd expect the cases number to rise at an exponential rate over the deaths as more and more people get tested and documented. But the opposite is currently happening, we're getting more deaths per case now than we were a week ago. 

We still aren’t testing many people. 

42 minutes ago, Redux said:

No.....not suggesting we don't do testing. The point is obviously that even if someone goes and gets testing they can still get it after the fact.  You might feel that doesn't need to be said. Yet we live in a world where coffee cups have to say that contents inside are hot and a bunch of spring breakers just willingly jumped into a petri dish because YOLO.

Ok, I guess I did think it was obvious that you could always get the virus after the test.

I just don't understand what the point was of bringing up quarantines and non-home testing as a problem:

4 hours ago, Redux said:

Here's the problem with testing.  Unless it's done in home where you're being quarantined, you're exposing yourself to people who do have it on their way to or from being tested.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I just don't understand what the point was of bringing up quarantines and non-home testing as a problem:

Because unless we get isolated drive thru testing like you're suggesting, it's going to be a problem.  Are there actual plans like that in place or is it just a good sounding idea?

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Because unless we get isolated drive thru testing like you're suggesting, it's going to be a problem.  Are there actual plans like that in place or is it just a good sounding idea?

Many places in the US currently have drive thru testing in operation as we speak. Louisiana and Washington are both doing it I know for sure

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Many places in the US currently have drive thru testing in operation as we speak. Louisiana and Washington are both doing it I know for sure

That's great.  Hope it's nationwide soon.  Meanwhile people aren't going to want to wait.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

That's great.  Hope it's nationwide soon.  Meanwhile people aren't going to want to wait.

I'm not sure what else they are going to do. From everything I am seeing it is still very difficult to get tested in most places 

Not sure where else to put this:

LOCUST SWARMS In addition to the growing COVID-19 pandemic, several countries in East Africa are battling the worst locust infestation in 70 years . Ideal breeding conditions in countries like Ethiopia, Kenya, and Somalia could enable locust populations to swell by a factor of 400, which could devastate crops across the region. The agricultural industry in East Africa accounts for approximately one-third of the gross domestic product and nearly two-thirds of jobs. The economic impact of the locust swarms has been compounded as restrictions are implemented by countries trying to contain COVID-19. Additionally, reduced trade demand from China could further compound economic losses, and it may be even more difficult for affected countries to identify supplemental trade partners as more national-level restrictions are implemented by countries around the world.

33 minutes ago, Redux said:

Ok, I understand now. I thought you were implying that going to get tested was too dangerous, so people shouldn't go.

In addition to what @Nebfanatic posted, California has some drive thru efforts in the early phases:

California opens two new community-based COVID-19 testing sites in collaboration with Verily’s Project Baseline and with federal support

The focus is on establishing drive-through testing sites, as that framework should reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission. Sample collection has been adapted to work for multiple scenarios, including individual drivers seeking testing, drivers bringing loved ones for testing, and instances where both drivers and passengers are getting tested.

• Plus1 1