Barret Pickering leaves the program

knapplc

Nebraska kicker Barret Pickering has left the program

Nebraska’s most experienced kicker from the past two seasons is no longer with the team.

Barret Pickering has left the football program, two sources close to the situation told The World-Herald. The native of Birmingham, Alabama, made 17 of 23 field goals and 50 of 51 extra points as a Husker.

The move leaves NU with four kickers on its roster. Three will be part of spring practices next month — former club soccer player Matt Waldoch, redshirt freshman Gabe Heins and junior-college transfer Chase Contreraz. Oklahoma native and walk-on Tyler Crawford will join the team this summer.Pickering, who originally committed to Mike Riley in Nebraska’s 2018 class and stayed on through the transition to coach Scott Frost, finished strong as a freshman by making his last 10 field goals of the season.

He appeared set to resume his duties last fall, so much so that the team selected him as its player representative in July to talk about its annual road-race event that helps raise awareness for pediatric brain cancer research."I just definitely feel like coming off of last year, we're 10 strides better," Pickering said that day. "We're definitely playing pretty good. I feel like it'll be a good year."

But an unspecified injury forced Pickering to miss the first seven games of the season. Upon his return, he hit on 3 of 5 field-goal tries and all 10 extra points. He also booted nine kickoffs, none of which went for touchbacks. In all, Pickering was one of six different Huskers to attempt a field goal in 2019 and one of four to handle kickoff duties. He appeared in four games, which had left open the possibility of him redshirting last year.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Pickering leaves the kicking game in a pickle.  Also feels like a kick to the pickle too 

Not really. I think there is a reason we brought in so many kickers. I would reckon we will be a lot better at kicking then we have the last two seasons with what we have brought in.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Pickering leaves the kicking game in a pickle.  Also feels like a kick to the pickle too 

There is a reason why Frost and staff have brought in a bunch of kickers.  They weren't thrilled with Pickering's performance and how he treated his injury in 2019, and they realized they need to get better in 2020.

• Fire 1

31 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Really hoping our kicking woes don't carry over into 2020...

I kinda feel Nebraska was due for some negative regression on the kicking front after having an absurd run of success with kickers for seemingly forever.  Here's hoping it was a one year blip!

• Plus1 3

A little more about Contreraz:

From the OWH

In the midst of a season kicking for Iowa Western, Contreraz was in awe as his junior college team worked out at the Hawks Center adjacent to the same Memorial Stadium where he attended Nebraska games growing up. Just wait until his family and his girlfriend’s family — all big Husker fans — heard about this.

A cool story turned into a dream before Contreraz got back on the bus.

After NU special teams quality control coach Zach Crespo observed the practice, he approached the kicker. Would he like to walk on with the team next year?

He came up and said based on what he just saw, I could be starting for them right now,” Contreraz said. “That offer was pretty much everything I wanted.”

• Plus1 5