Q&A: Kenny Bell and Jeremiah Sirles weigh in on Nebraska and the issues it faces

GSG

$$$

Q&A: Kenny Bell and Jeremiah Sirles weigh in on Nebraska and the issues it faces

What do you think of the progress in two years at Nebraska for Scott Frost?

Sirles: I think you’ve got the players in the right spots. You should have your culture set. The narrative that “we inherited a weak locker room” is gone. I don’t think we can use that excuse anymore. These are now your guys. We’re still a little lacking in depth. But I see progress as far as culture and style of play and getting his system implemented. Now the question is whether the talent can hold up to the Big Ten.

Bell: The record’s very tough. Winning in the Big Ten is incredibly difficult. But to see how the team has progressed and how they’re starting to buy into Coach Frost’s culture, that’s what I’m most excited about. I know Coach Frost. He recruited me to Oregon out of high school. I’ve got the utmost faith and love and respect for Coach Frost. I believe he has things on the right track. It’s just, winning in the Big Ten is hard.

• Plus1 4

They think identity and rhythm were our offensive issues last year. Sirles thinks this might be the first time since his class that we have NFL talent on the O-line (M. Farniok and Jaimes). They're both kinda iffy on the one-time transfer rule, equating it to NFL free agency (drama). They both think the $$ for athlete name, image, and likeness is good but could go to some guys' heads. Sirles thinks our new facilities will be great and really help. Bell thinks Nebraska is great enough on it's own without top-notch facilities, saying that facilities wasn't a big deal for him as a high school recruit. 

• Plus1 4
23 minutes ago, GSG said:

They think identity and rhythm were our offensive issues last year. Sirles thinks this might be the first time since his class that we have NFL talent on the O-line (M. Farniok and Jaimes). They're both kinda iffy on the one-time transfer rule, equating it to NFL free agency (drama). They both think the $$ for athlete name, image, and likeness is good but could go to some guys' heads. Sirles thinks our new facilities will be great and really help. Bell thinks Nebraska is great enough on it's own without top-notch facilities, saying that facilities wasn't a big deal for him as a high school recruit. 

Kenny was a 3 start kid from next door.  Love the guy but his opinion on facility upgrades and how they will impact recruiting should be taken with a grain of salt.  

50 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Kenny was a 3 start kid from next door.  Love the guy but his opinion on facility upgrades and how they will impact recruiting should be taken with a grain of salt.  

Why?

He expressed how he viewed it out of HS.  There are some kids who get all googoo over facilities and some don't.  Doesn't mean his opinion is meaningless.

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?

He expressed how he viewed it out of HS.  There are some kids who get all googoo over facilities and some don't.  Doesn't mean his opinion is meaningless.

Ehh I kinda agree with Hilltop. Bell likely wasn't being courted hard by multiple high level schools. When you have so many options as a top recruit these things (facilities) can get a school eliminated if they aren't on par or better than the rest.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Ehh I kinda agree with Hilltop. Bell likely wasn't being courted hard by multiple high level schools. When you have so many options as a top recruit these things (facilities) can get a school eliminated if they aren't on par or better than the rest.

We know at least he was being recruited by Oregon with all the facilities Nike has built there. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We know at least he was being recruited by Oregon with all the facilities Nike has built there. 

How much did Oregon really want him though? I don't know, I wasn't around these parts at that time but there is a difference between a team being interested in you and being a teams top prospect. Regardless, if you don't think better facilities have an impact we will have to agree to disagree on this one. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?

I never said it was meaningless, only that it should be considered in context.  He wasn't a heavily recruited national recruit that had multiple options at high level schools.  He was a high school kid in Colorado who didn't care for any local opportunities.  He honestly came to the nearest school that looked to be trending up that offered him.  When we compete for 4 and 5 star kids that are also being courted by Clemson, Ohio State, Alabama, etc, and they live 1000 miles away, we need our facilities to at minimum be on par with the best in the country.      

• Plus1 2

Sirles:  The narrative that “we inherited a weak locker room” is gone. I don’t think we can use that excuse anymore. 

Meh, this is only year three of Frost.  We can still trot out the roster excuse for at least another year.   

:lol:   

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, NUance said:

Meh, this is only year three of Frost.  We can still trot out the roster excuse for at least another year.   

It gets less and less as yrs go by but roster depth across the board was rough last yr.  kind of a valid excuse.  I do think he had enough to get six wins, maybe 7 but not much more.  I remember watching the Iowa game, 3rd & 8, inside our 20, thinking who the hell is AM going to throw to.  Wasn’t another skill position person on the field that would play for most other big10 teams.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, dubsker said:

I guess having offers from 3 pac schools, 3 big 12 schools, and one big 10 school isn’t enough to pass the opinion purity test of some of the five star athlete parents on this board.

Well to be fair 7 P5 offers isn't that impressive. I'm not trying to downplay Bell as a prospect, he turned out great for us. But we need players that have 20+ P5 offers on the roster too and some of those types of players will be splitting hairs with their decision. Facilities are another hair to split.

• Plus1 1

I look at the facilities thing like, if it wasn’t a big deal, there wouldn’t be an arms race year in and year out for top notch facilities. And I respect the heck out of Bell and his opinion, but I think he’s probably in the minority of kids we recruit when it comes to how they weigh facilities. We recruit heavy out of the south and their perception is that it’s always cold in Nebraska, so we need top notch indoor facilities to help lure them the Nebraska and let them realize that they won’t freeze to death 

21 hours ago, NUance said:

INTEROFFICE MEMO:

The official company line excuse for the 2020 season will be the daunting, tough late season schedule. We need everyone to stick to this and present a unified message.

We will discuss excuse options for 2021 and beyond at future staff meetings.

• Haha 1