Proposed NCAA Rule Changes for 2020

Mavric

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Wasn't 00 already allowed?  I distinctly remember Robert Perish wearing 00.  That was a minute ago, though. 

It just seems weird they would allow one and not the other.

The Chief didn't play football.

In basketball you've long been allowed to have a 0 or a 00 but not both (at least in high school that's the way it has been).

9 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Flopping addressed

It’s a touchy subject, but there are incredibly obvious ones that should be addressed.

I've always thought a player shouldn’t be allowed to return for that series, but never thought about it making players stay in who are actually injured.

I don’t see why the conferences can’t take a look at them after the fact and assess penalties on the obvious ones. A one half penalty seems about right.

Leaving it up to the head coaches is tantamount to brushing it aside as a non-issue.

33 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

I like the 2 minute replay limit. I like that you can review a play but it really kills the flow of an exciting game when they take an hour and have to take commercial breaks to see whether or not it was a fumble.

I also don't get how it takes so long to initiate the replay.  Someone up stairs,  or even better in Chicago,  should be already looking at it.

I had thought there was a discussion on adopting something like soccer/futbol yellow/red card discipline.  First targeting penalty would be the yardage penalty, second would be yardage plus ejection.  There needs to be increased scrutiny IMO on the offensive side of the ball for targeting if these are the rules we have to live with.  We have all seen several defensive players who were doing the right thing in slowing up, ejected, because the offensive player lowered his head at the last second and contact seemed initiated by the offensive player.

• Plus1 4

Was really hoping to see a basketball type thing for targeting, like flagrant 1 or 2. Some of these targetings happen due to offensive guys ducking their heads. Thats not the same as launching directly at someone and crowning them.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I had thought there was a discussion on adopting something like soccer/futbol yellow/red card discipline.  First targeting penalty would be the yardage penalty, second would be yardage plus ejection.  There needs to be increased scrutiny IMO on the offensive side of the ball for targeting if these are the rules we have to live with.  We have all seen several defensive players who were doing the right thing in slowing up, ejected, because the offensive player lowered his head at the last second and contact seemed initiated by the offensive player.

The potential threats from lawsuits due to CTE propel the NCAA to protect its cash cow.  Equity in sport between teams or to a player are secondary to the NCAA.  Money and perception are the top concerns.  SO the targeting rules (the attempt to radically change coaching culture) will remain.  

As long as the TV ratings are high enough to sell luctrative ads, these rules are here to stay.  You get to vote with your remote.