Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

I mean it’s no fun to simplify things in an off season message board discussion but....

Frost inherited a veritable sh#t sandwich of a program. There is no disputing that. Every player that was already here at that time was recruited by Riley and bought into his vision and methods or was a Pelini remnant and likely a little disillusioned with things. So, the majority of the players had grown accustomed to the vision of a career .500 coach who seemed to value west coast star ratings much higher than an actual work ethic. Enter Frost, a proud program alum, who I’m sure was more disgusted at the state of the program than any of us could ever hope to be.

So, here’s a couple questions you have to ask yourself before you begin making wild unfounded claims about Frost’s capabilities as a coach.

1- What was more important, flipping the roster, attitude and culture of the program or winning a couple more games in the first two years? 

2- Whose methods and vision for the program do you trust more, Frost’s or Riley’s?

Hopefully you all came up with the same two answers I did; correcting the culture and Frost’s vision. It would be awfully tough to pick Riley, a soft career .500 coach whose only qualification for this job was being the opposite of Pelini. And we have to realize Frost is not perfect. He’s a winner and a worker but not perfect. He has a bit of a learning curve we should allow for. Due to system differences, I’m sure there has been many square peg round hole problems. I don’t think he fully understood how bad it was or how difficult it would be. I’m sure he desperately wanted to get bowl eligible but some unanticipated things got in the way of that.The one thing he has positively absolutely gotten accomplished is flipping the roster. Assuming that was required, it has been a success.

I’m just glad the worst of those challenges are now behind us. It was a tumultuous couple of years with not enough winning for any of us. But the field has been plowed and the planting has also been underway for a couple years. We can now begin to see the transformation going forward. Hopefully the unprecedented coronavirus and social climate doesn’t dampen progress for yet another year.

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I do think that the guys who are here should be all on board or not on the field.  From that standpoint, I think that's a valid statement.  There wouldn't be any *direct* effect left.

However, there would still be some *indirect* effect.  Mainly that Riley recruiting was such a failure that we only have 18 juniors and seniors left from his recruiting classes.  And it's pretty likely that 4-5 of those won't really contribute the rest of their time there.  50 of our current 80 scholarship guys are Freshmen or Sophomores who now have had most of an entire offseason disrupted.  So the lingering effects are still out there.

I expect significant progress this year.  But we're still recovering from the Riley fiasco so I don't expect a finished product.

The "no more excuses" crowd seems to be ignoring quite a few factors. Good rundown.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 3

I think this suggests some real competition is starting to go on in this team.  Thats great news to me.   Coaches coach and players play. Coaches decide who plays and who doesnt.  As long as the competition is fair then I’m all for it.  Every player has to earn his spot and should not expect to be given anything.  Walkon vs scholarship; senior vs frosh;  doesnt matter.  Blocking, tackling, knowing your job, being on time and a good team mate.  

Its a tough job being HC and thats why they get the big bucks. 

• Plus1 2

Looks like JD was the last one to hear about the "half-assed mutiny" rumor.  That tends to be how rumors work.

Also I think you might be insane if you don't think we'll miss one of the most productive WRs in school history.  Reminds me of that "Stanley wasn't actually that good, 1,000-yard receivers will be a dime-a-dozen under Frost" narrative, heh.  Get outta here.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

Let's see, between Spielman, McQuitty, and Williams, you've got two Riley recruits and a guy that was at his third school...

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm always reminded of a Terrell Davis interview where he commented on how bizarre it was to get a bunch of media comments about his great games based on yards, when he would say he had a terrible game with multiple missed assignments and blocks. Not all players have that mindset, but again I have no clue if it's relevant to these guys.

"No block, no rock" is something that a lot of receivers hear, but never quite get the message. I don't know if that was the case here, but...

I think pretty much everybody knew that Walters wasn't the one calling plays. And as for deciding who goes in, let's not forget that Frost is an ex-receivers coach, too. Though I'd be interested in hearing the specific reasons Walters got the axe...

35 minutes ago, Toe said:

I think pretty much everybody knew that Walters wasn't the one calling plays. And as for deciding who goes in, let's not forget that Frost is an ex-receivers coach, too. Though I'd be interested in hearing the specific reasons Walters got the axe...

Yeah, I really doubt we'll hear about that but I'm interested too. My guess is something along the lines of they couldn't or wouldn't do what Frost was asking (maybe blocking, maybe something else entirely) and weren't happy not playing and seeing others pass them. And maybe Walters was more on their side and pushing for playing them when that's not what Frost wanted. Which if so, props to Walters - a position coach should fight for the guys he believe should be playing. But would also explain the mutual splits with him and the receivers from Frost. If you have largely different views on what it should take to see the field, it's in the best interest of all parties to move on. 

This is all speculation based on probably reading way too much into bits and pieces of info, but it's all I've been able to come up with.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Looks like JD was the last one to hear about the "half-assed mutiny" rumor.  That tends to be how rumors work.

Also I think you might be insane if you don't think we'll miss one of the most productive WRs in school history.  Reminds me of that "Stanley wasn't actually that good, 1,000-yard receivers will be a dime-a-dozen under Frost" narrative, heh.  Get outta here.

I must be insane then.

I don't expect any player who leaves to come out and say "I wasn't willing to do all that the staff wanted me to do".

And I'm not going to miss any player(s), no matter their potential or how good they are, if they don't want to do what the coaches want or if they just don't want to be here.

Insane I tells ya....plumb outta my mind.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it's a pretty bad look for JD and the others to be commenting publicly.  I am guessing any future coach/employer has to consider, "If I don't make this guy happy, I'm probably going to see the results on twitter."  Guessing we don't see much from them going forward.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Hilltop said:

I think it's a pretty bad look for JD and the others to be commenting publicly.  I am guessing any future coach/employer has to consider, "If I don't make this guy happy, I'm probably going to see the results on twitter."  Guessing we don't see much from them going forward.

It's hard to blame them. I agree, but if you feel like people are throwing out lies or half truths on twitter it's hard not to reply back. At least this wasn't a fan directly tweeting at them, but calling Williams and McQuitty underachievers clearly struck a nerve. And from a production standpoint, it's not wrong. But if they feel like they worked hard enough and were not given the chance to achieve, I can understand taking that personally. We can speculate all we want, but when it starts insulting things like their work ethic I don't really have a problem with them responding. 

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

It's an equally bad look for our fan base to be making comments without knowing what's going on in the background.  It's unreasonable to expect kids to not respond to shade on social media, and it's equally unreasonable to expect fans to not throw shade.  Kids are going to be kids, and fans are going to be fans.  Not much anyone can do about that.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

I do think that the guys who are here should be all on board or not on the field.  From that standpoint, I think that's a valid statement.  There wouldn't be any *direct* effect left.

However, there would still be some *indirect* effect.  Mainly that Riley recruiting was such a failure that we only have 18 juniors and seniors left from his recruiting classes.  And it's pretty likely that 4-5 of those won't really contribute the rest of their time there.  50 of our current 80 scholarship guys are Freshmen or Sophomores who now have had most of an entire offseason disrupted.  So the lingering effects are still out there.

I expect significant progress this year.  But we're still recovering from the Riley fiasco so I don't expect a finished product.

Throw in missing 2 bowls and the 30 missed practices on those.......I agree with the progress.  Don't know if will result in more wins in 2020, but I do believe it will look like something the team and fans can be proud of.  I think 2021 we really start to see what we have and where we are going.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, MasterPulverizer said:

It's an equally bad look for our fan base to be making comments without knowing what's going on in the background.  It's unreasonable to expect kids to not respond to shade on social media, and it's equally unreasonable to expect fans to not throw shade.  Kids are going to be kids, and fans are going to be fans.  Not much anyone can do about that.

I agree that it's a bad look for fans to be tweeting at ex-players like this, but clearly that guy doesn't represent all of us. You & I, for example, wouldn't do that.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Attitude (rumored) won't be missed.  Athleticism absolutely will be missed.  As you said, leading returning receiver.  One good a game away from being the leading NU receiver.

We missed Stan and Oz A LOT.  And Farmer and Foster.  Ironically, guys who played under Riley....

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers