Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

On 6/12/2020 at 3:21 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think 57 years of sold-out stadiums and the adulation of an entire state are still selling points. We gotta earn it back, but being a brand name still matters and despite claims of media bias, Nebraska's proud tradition is the lead in every story. 

Some people will tell you it doesn't matter. I think it's one of the few reasons we haven't fallen off the cliff, and we should be very thankful for it.

• Plus1 1

53 minutes ago, Sgt Red said:

Likes to blame everyone but himself. 

Coaches getting paid 5 mil a year in an industry with insanely high turnover, usually don’t purposely put out their worst players just because they are holding a grudge. I hope it was communicated to McQuitty, because there is 100% a reason he wasn’t playing, and it wasn’t because Frost didn’t like him. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Coaches getting paid 5 mil a year in an industry with insanely high turnover, usually don’t purposely put out their worst players just because they are holding a grudge. I hope it was communicated to McQuitty, because there is 100% a reason he wasn’t playing, and it wasn’t because Frost didn’t like him. 

39 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think it's pretty typical for a player who feels like they are just as good or better than others to be upset when they're not playing. With McQuitty, he probably was more athletic then some of the other wideouts, but if he wasn't working as hard in practice or didnt have as good a grasp of the playbook as others (total speculation, I have nothing to believe that is the case) then of course the coaches arent going to play him. Especially when they are trying to change the culture. This honestly sounds like sour grapes to me

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yes, but....  I believe Frost knows he has a long leash. I say he’s has a five year cushion in which he can be as punitive as he wishes. Particularly with players that aren’t his recruits. Gotta get the culture right. 

• Plus1 1

Got to block besides catch&run.   I was real disappointed in our blocking on screens and downfield. I  think they missed Warner as a guy who would block.   I think that's part of the reason that Hickman is moving out to a z spot.   

I expect to see a big difference with last year because of the newly recruited size and the fact that they will be able to fit players in their nature roles better than last year.    Last year there was too much of a log jam at slot and our Z guys just working blocking well enough. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Yes, but....  I believe Frost knows he has a long leash. I say he’s has a five year cushion in which he can be as punitive as he wishes. Particularly with players that aren’t his recruits. Gotta get the culture right. 

"Gotta get the culture right at all costs, including sitting better players."

Goes to bat for someone with serious legal issues, attempting to keep and start them.

^These can't both be true, regardless of if you hinge it on the caveat of "particularly with players that aren't his recruits."

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

Got to block besides catch&run.   I was real disappointed in our blocking on screens and downfield. I  think they missed Warner as a guy who would block.   I think that's part of the reason that Hickman is moving out to a z spot.   

I expect to see a big difference with last year because of the newly recruited size and the fact that they will be able to fit players in their nature roles better than last year.    Last year there was too much of a log jam at slot and our Z guys just working blocking well enough. 

blocking has never been a glamorous job, few guys embrace it, but it is a valuable skill and extremely important.

a lot of good pass catchers and route runners don't excel in it.

31 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

locking 

58 minutes ago, C-4 said:

Goes to bat for someone with serious legal issues, attempting to keep and start them.

^These can't both be true, regardless of if you hinge it on the caveat of "particularly with players that aren't his recruits."

He’s actually said that he’d sacrifice wins right now to get it right in the long run. 

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

A player who he's since dismissed from the team because he didn't uphold what was asked of him. You think that any "better" player that was benched wasn't given multiple chances to do what the coaches asked and failed to do it? Frost also immediately dismissed two of his recruits based on serious allegations before the 2019 season.

McQuitty had 6 games in 2018 to prove he was a player and 5 of those he lined up at receiver without a catch. In 2019, he only had 2 catches for 14 yards early in the season before he was likely benched. Seems like he had the opportunity.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, C-4 said:

I guarantee the two players were treated the same, thus the culture is being formed.

Some seem to think because two completely separate situations are handled differently means players aren’t treated equally.

The kid you’re trying to tear down has and is holding up his end of the bargain, legally. Both kids you are referring to here are both off the team, one was essentially kicked off the team and the other was granted a medical scholarship. Seems like the one you are defending had the best opportunity given their situations. 

On 6/14/2020 at 2:06 PM, FrantzHardySwag said:

if multiple players are saying this, then at some point you have to look at what they are saying. it's nice and all to back the coaches whom we all love, but coaches aren't perfect, just like players aren't perfect..

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers