Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

TE production was less about the TEs and more a reflection of QB & O line play last year.  imo.  

Our returning TEs are decent athletes - probably as good as a Rutgers backup transfer.  

Stoll doesn't have the speed and athleticism to test defenses deep down the middle, and then Allen and Rafdal aren't strong enough blockers to see the field.  Vokalek is the best combo of blocker/receiving threat, based on coaches' discussions and media who has seen limited practices.  I know Scout Team MVP doesn't always translate to success on the full-time roster, but I would think that Vokalek created challenges for the Blackshirts on Scout Team in 2019.   

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, Toe said:

I wouldn't even say they are better 'now'. They were better last year, we were better the year before, this year who knows.

Depends on how much we grow. The Gophers were not great the first 3 games but they survived which allowed them to build off that.

I dont like admitting it, but up to this point I think Fleck is a better coach than Frost. Dont get me wrong, I cant stand Fleck and I think Frost will turn it around but I think the gophers are still ahead of us.

I also think Fleck will leave if a big job calls. I dont think Frost will.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Depends on how much we grow. The Gophers were not great the first 3 games but they survived which allowed them to build off that.

I dont like admitting it, but up to this point I think Fleck is a better coach than Frost. Dont get me wrong, I cant stand Fleck and I think Frost will turn it around but I think the gophers are still ahead of us.

I also think Fleck will leave if a big job calls. I dont think Frost will.

It's close, and I know Fleck has done pretty well in Minnesota.  I won't call myself a Minny expert, but I think Fleck inherited a much better situation than Frost, including big offensive linemen and some stud WR's.  Frost's NU team beat up on Minny in 2018, and Minny returned the favor in 2019.  I think Frost and NU's ceiling is higher than Minnesota, so in the long-run I would take Frost.  Of course, I am biased.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Gopher fans are a unique bunch. Most are fine and dont take it too seriously. They have lived in so many other teams shadows that when they get a little bit of success they seem to let it go to their head. 

The shots at Frost for blocking the transfer seem silly especially when some up here who have connections to the Gophers(Ron Johnson) have been openly recruiting JD for over a year...

Gophers are a good team but I find this assumption that they will destroy the Huskers for years to come as laughable. They are the better team now but things can change. 

Oh believe me, I know. Living in MN and having to hear the crap it crazy. The true fans are pretty good about it, but the fans that are just hopping on the last two years are unreal. Hope the Huskers can get back to form and put them back in their place!

Just now, Toe said:

@Minnesota_husker Fleck's been there a year longer, and inherited a MUCH better situation than Frost did.

I guess would have to know how one concludes Minne was a better program than Neb.  Talent was comparable - maybe.  Probably NU had more wins the prior three years than Minne so its what has Frost done in his 2.5 years vs Fleck in 3.5 years.  To be fair - Frost got the better job imo.  Both have tough jobs but I doubt Frost would trade spots.  Fleck might not either.  ugh.  

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We haven't been bowl eligible the past three seasons so not a far jump to say that we have been an easy team to beat. The QB that they beat now plays for Rutgers though.

The point of my post though was to these post that make Minny into only being good because of an easy schedule and first time QB's.  If that's ones argument  ... so be it.  So, all you do when you argue that way is make your own team look even worse ... that is the point.  To me, that's just stupid to tear down the other team ... especially when you can't win more than four games a year against teams that you out-recruit.  I'd love to see us break free from this "victim" mindset.  We are our own problem.

15 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I guess would have to know how one concludes Minne was a better program than Neb.  Talent was comparable - maybe.  Probably NU had more wins the prior three years than Minne so its what has Frost done in his 2.5 years vs Fleck in 3.5 years.  To be fair - Frost got the better job imo.  Both have tough jobs but I doubt Frost would trade spots.  Fleck might not either.  ugh.  

Minnesota was 6-7 and 9-4 in the 2 years prior to the Fleck hire.  I can't remember the details of why Tracy Claeys was let go from Minny, but I think it was more due to off-the-field issues with the team, and less with on-the-field performance.  Claeys and Kill were building a decent program at Minny, before Kill's health issues.  Fleck had a good uptick in results in 2019, but I think Minnesota will go back to a program where 8-9 wins a season is their max.  Of course, that could be NU's future, as well.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I can't remember the details of why Tracy Claeys was let go from Minny

There was a rape allegation and a number of players were suspended by the school. The rest of the team threatened to boycott, Claeys supported the players, so they fired him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers