Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

On 10/2/2021 at 5:32 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I dare anyone to go back on HuskerBoard during the three years when JD Spielman was an all-Big 10 receiver and/or special teams returner and find any posts that questioned his character, his ability, and his willingness to take a ton of punishment as the go-to playmaker on the team.

As I recall, we considered him a total baller being underserved by the rest of the team. There's some serious revisionist history going on to make us feel better about JD taking the portal out of here. 

The vast majority of fans thought he was really good. But, a lot also thought he needed another big receiver to really shine…..which, I believe is true. 

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I've heard many former players say "I didn't play because I loved it, I played because I'm good at it" - JD seemed to fit that mold. Ultra talented, but never seemed like that was what he wanted to do with his life. 

He was going to attend Ohio State to play lacrosse until the NU football offer came his way.  I am not sure if he loved lacrosse, but he didn't seem to have a love for football at times (I know consistently losing teams can do that to a guy).  It's quite possible that his dad convinced him to try the football route because of the chance at a full scholarship and way better pro opportunities vs. lacrosse.  I know his dad could have afforded to pay for college, but most people will go with the full scholarship sport when offered.

“JD is going to retire,” Patterson said during his news conference on Tuesday. “Him and his family talked and he’s had lingering (injuries). For five (more games), it’s just not worth. Him and I had a conversation yesterday. I think it’s just what’s best for him going forward.  If I was in his situation, I’m not sure I wouldn’t do the same thing to be honest with you.”

Spielman has battled injuries since joining TCU in 2020. He had eight catches for 125 yards and two touchdowns in four games this season. His highlight play, though, might’ve been an 87-yard kickoff return to open the Texas game.

“They gave me a chance to come here and play and unfortunately I got hurt in the third game,” he said. “That’s part of just playing football. I really felt like I owed it to them to come back and give them everything I have. On top of that, I love my team and teammates. I want to do everything I can to help them get one more successful season before those seniors leave as well.”

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So Bubba, is ready to come be a QB now right? Didn't Oklahoma State have a qb that went a similar route not too long ago? Pro baseball then college qb? Some redhead dude if I remember right.

I believe you are thinking of Brandon Weeden at Okie State.  I am sure you are halfway joking about Starling, but he's already 29 years old, and hasn't played QB in over a decade.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I believe you are thinking of Brandon Weeden at Okie State.  I am sure you are halfway joking about Starling, but he's already 29 years old, and hasn't played QB in over a decade.

Still in shape, great senior leadership, played professional baseball, so instant credibility, more mature... already committed to Nebraska once- I'd say he should be our top recruit. :) 

• Haha 4