Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Sure seems like JD might be one of those guys we heard so much about who is not 100% bought in to the new culture.

Which happens sometimes if guys are not a good fit. But you wonder why. If his ultimate goal is to get to the league you'd think being the focus of an ascendant Frost offense would do nothing but improve his draft stock.

Or JD can tell his dad (who is a NFL GM) he's sick of school and would rather give the NFL a shot.  JD isn't eligible for the April draft, but there is still the supplemental draft in the summer.  I am sure JD's dad would be able to gauge interest around the NFL, and see if he would get any takers late in the supplemental draft.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Um .... that's pretty jump-the-gun-ish.  

Depending on how much you're going to quibble with how involved Walters actually was with the recruiting, we have three guys from their first full class (Robinson, Nance & Houston) and five guys from this class (Fleming, Betts, Manning, Nixon & Brown).

Eight guys seems significantly better than 0.

A list of who we landed during his tenure that impacts the roster as we see now this spring: 

2018: Woodyard, Hunt, Jones, Williams, McGriff, Watt

All of them busts. 

2019: Chase, Houston, Nance, and Wan’Dale

2020: Brown (on campus)

Not on campus: Betts, Fleming, Nixon, and Manning

Of both the 2018 & 2019 class only one guy has actually been relevant. The Junior College experiment was a flop. Everyone else transferred, was booted, or never made it from 2018. Chase has left the team to be closer to home. Wan’Dale is a stud. 

I think it’s safe to say that Walter’s was fired for a reason. 

• Plus1 5
Just now, Decked said:

A list of who we landed during his tenure:

2018: Woodyard, Hunt, Jones, Williams, McGriff, Watt

All of them busts. 

2019: Chase, Houston, Nance, and Wan’Dale

Of both the 2018 & 2019 class only one guy has actually been relevant. The Junior College experiment was a flop. Everyone else transferred, was booted, or never made it from 2018. Chase has left the team to be closer to home. Wan’Dale is a stud. 

I think it’s safe to say that Walter’s was fired for a reason. 

For the 2018 class they had three weeks to recruit while doing two jobs.

Everyone else except Wan'Dale is still a freshman.  I don't think it's fair to write off guys before they had a chance.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Or JD can tell his dad (who is a NFL GM) he's sick of school and would rather give the NFL a shot.  JD isn't eligible for the April draft, but there is still the supplemental draft in the summer.  I am sure JD's dad would be able to gauge interest around the NFL, and see if he would get any takers late in the supplemental draft.

Hellooooo XFL! :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Maybe, I think he’d certainly get picked up as a FA but have a hard time believing if Morgan didn’t get drafted that JD would.  He needs another big yr and could have it here.

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'd keep an eye on that vote for the one-time transfer rule. If they get that up and running for the 2020/2021 season, that could play a factor in JD's decision.

I think it's too late to make changes for the 2020-21 academic year.  I think the Big Ten is trying to have the new rule implemented for the 2021-22 academic year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874069-big-ten-proposes-1-time-transfer-exemption-for-all-athletes

EDIT:  I could see JD trying to get a waiver for immediate eligibility though to be closer to his family to help him through his health issues.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it's too late to make changes for the 2020-21 academic year.  I think the Big Ten is trying to have the new rule implemented for the 2021-22 academic year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874069-big-ten-proposes-1-time-transfer-exemption-for-all-athletes

That's the Big Ten's proposal. It'll be superseded by the NCAA proposal:

The working group will seek feedback from Division I members through student-athlete representatives, conference offices, impacted coaches associations and other collegiate athletic professional organizations prior to the Council’s April meeting. The group’s goal is to have the new criteria approved for transfers in the 2020-21 academic year.

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers