Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

7 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Goofs have one good season and they are now the best...

Decided to look up how weak Minnesota's schedule was last season. Sagarin says it was the second easiest in the Big Ten in 2019, just barely above Indiana's. And I think that's including their bowl game.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t have an issue with NU blocking transfers within the Big Ten (if true). It’s perfectly within the rules of the conference, and NU should have reason to not want to see JD competing against them next year. 

Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill is an assistant to Gary Patterson at TCU.

@BigRedN The conclusion is that Spielman tried to stage a coup before the Minnesota game, and too many guys didn't want to practice in the cold for what was forecast to be a frigid game. Geeze, man, haven't you been reading this thread? :P

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Did Nebraska block him from transferring within the BIG? This guy seems to think so...MN homer and has other not so great things to say about Frost. Goofs have one good season and they are now the best...

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/jd-spielman-transfers-to-tcu-after-nebraska-all-but-blocks-move-inside-big-ten/

Gopher fans are a unique bunch. Most are fine and dont take it too seriously. They have lived in so many other teams shadows that when they get a little bit of success they seem to let it go to their head. 

The shots at Frost for blocking the transfer seem silly especially when some up here who have connections to the Gophers(Ron Johnson) have been openly recruiting JD for over a year...

Gophers are a good team but I find this assumption that they will destroy the Huskers for years to come as laughable. They are the better team now but things can change. 

2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

Minny beat us 34-7 last year.  Minny had an easy schedule and played against new QB's ... okay.  

Conclusion for us ... we are an easy team to beat and our QB sucks?

We haven't been bowl eligible the past three seasons so not a far jump to say that we have been an easy team to beat. The QB that they beat now plays for Rutgers though.

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Gophers are a good team but I find this assumption that they will destroy the Huskers for years to come as laughable. They are the better team now but things can change. 

I wouldn't even say they are better 'now'. They were better last year, we were better the year before, this year who knows.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's unfortunate that Frost's offense doesn't hasn't had the guys they need to utilize the TE position very much though. 

FIFY

Do we have anybody coming up that is a better fit for the system? I don't recall us taking a TE in the incoming class and last years starters were penciled in to return this year.

6 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Do we have anybody coming up that is a better fit for the system? I don't recall us taking a TE in the incoming class and last years starters were penciled in to return this year.

Vokalek should emerge as the play-making TE which the team has been lacking.  I know Chris Hickman is officially listed as a WR, but I still think he can be a hybrid player where he can line up as a "tight end" in some formations, as Frost prefers to limit substitutions within a drive.

1 minute ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Travis Vokolek is a transfer that had to sit out last year.  But it's also about the offense in general struggling with the lack of quality options at the other receiver positions.

In Frost's second year at UCF, they had one TE get 500+ yards and 4 TDs and a second one get 200+ yards and a TD.  So the offense will definitely make use of TEs when it's up and running.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers