Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

So why did he leave again? 

JD left the team due to a "personal health matter," which it seems he's explaining in today's tweet as depression and anxiety. These can obviously be debilitating, and he's saying he was not sleeping and way under proper playing weight.

What's concerning is he says he "...wasn't receiving help or love from the other end..." which could be interpreted as the coaches/team, his folks, his medical care provider, or a S/O.  In this context, most likely he's referring to the coaches. 

The problem is, these coaches can't defend themselves, so that kind of allegation goes unanswered. Which kinda sucks. Clearly Spielman felt it was an issue so great that he needed to leave the team.

What I will say is that there is excellent mental health care available to Nebraska's student athletes. So it's not like he had zero resources - he just apparently feels they weren't adequate. 

Hopefully, for him, it's all better at TCU. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

JD left the team due to a "personal health matter," which it seems he's explaining in today's tweet as depression and anxiety. These can obviously be debilitating, and he's saying he was not sleeping and way under proper playing weight.

What's concerning is he says he "...wasn't receiving help or love from the other end..." which could be interpreted as the coaches/team, his folks, his medical care provider, or a S/O.  In this context, most likely he's referring to the coaches. 

The problem is, these coaches can't defend themselves, so that kind of allegation goes unanswered. Which kinda sucks. Clearly Spielman felt it was an issue so great that he needed to leave the team.

What I will say is that there is excellent mental health care available to Nebraska's student athletes. So it's not like he had zero resources - he just apparently feels they weren't adequate. 

Hopefully, for him, it's all better at TCU. 

It has to be a coach issue is what I was leaning towards because flying down to Texas to play the same football game doesn't make depression disappear. 

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

It has to be a coach issue is what I was leaning towards because flying down to Texas to play the same football game doesn't make depression disappear. 

I would agree with that. Saying "mental health" is the reason stops a lot of further questions. If you don't get along with the coaches who replaced the guy you loved, who recruited you, you could move on and just say that's the reason.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

Oh believe me, I know. Living in MN and having to hear the crap it crazy. The true fans are pretty good about it, but the fans that are just hopping on the last two years are unreal. Hope the Huskers can get back to form and put them back in their place!

My favorite way to describe a gopher fan is this:

You only find out they are fans if the gophers win...

I could sit at my cube and hear nothing all week. When the Huskers won, I heard nothing on Monday.

If the Huskers lost to the Gophers, suddenly I would have multiple people over to talk crap.

You are not allowed to talk crap if I dont even know you are a Gopher fan in advance.

Most Gopher fans are beat down and therefore are fine, but a few of them are box score watchers. Gophers fan base is one of the least passionate ones I know. They have pockets but nothing compared to Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska. 

The fans showed up at the end last year, but Fleck will leave for a more passionate base.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I guess would have to know how one concludes Minne was a better program than Neb.  Talent was comparable - maybe.  Probably NU had more wins the prior three years than Minne so its what has Frost done in his 2.5 years vs Fleck in 3.5 years.  To be fair - Frost got the better job imo.  Both have tough jobs but I doubt Frost would trade spots.  Fleck might not either.  ugh.  

Fleck basically overtook a Jerry Kill program.

Frost took over a Mike Riley program.

Kill knows how to build a program 

Mike Riley knows how to do more with less.  Allegedly.

Will be interesting to see how JD does down at TCU.  The QB situation under Duggan was pretty brutal at times.  

Source: I played Jalen Reagor a ton in CFB DFS last year and I watched wayyyyyyy too many balls go no where near a wide open Jalen Reagor.  Lol seriously he had something like 40 catches on 95 targets!  It was brutal.  

Sometimes you just have to start fresh to dig your self out of whatever hole you perceived or actually dug. Hope springs eternal and all that.   

maybe it goes back to last year and disagreements with the coach or maybe he really hates cold weather. IDK but I do know if you have a proclivity towards depression exasperated by being disgruntled, January, February, and March can be pretty bleak in Nebraska.  

Im just sorry that we couldn’t win some of those games that JD sacrificed his head for. 

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Sometimes you just have to start fresh to dig your self out of whatever hole you perceived or actually dug. Hope springs eternal and all that.   

maybe it goes back to last year and disagreements with the coach or maybe he really hates cold weather. IDK but I do know if you have a proclivity towards depression exasperated by being disgruntled, January, February, and March can be pretty bleak in Nebraska.  

Im just sorry that we couldn’t win some of those games that JD sacrificed his head for. 

I wish I could +10 your comment.  

Just now, 84HuskerLaw said:

JD lived in Minneapolis area where winter is real.  Neb would have been easy by comparison. It was not weather.  

Not for all. 

JD would have his family in Minneapolis. Don’t know him personally, but by most accounts he’s not an outwardly social person so I doubt he was attending a lot of basketball games or other social functions. Not sure in this, but that is the gist of what I’ve read 

Also, Minnesota has many different winter activities to participate in. Lincoln not so much. 

winter is very much real in Lincoln. And not all that pretty 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

Not for all. 

JD would have his family in Minneapolis. Don’t know him personally, but by most accounts he’s not an outwardly social person so I doubt he was attending a lot of basketball games or other social functions. Not sure in this, but that is the gist of what I’ve read 

Also, Minnesota has many different winter activities to participate in. Lincoln not so much. 

winter is very much real in Lincoln. And not all that pretty 

I lived in downtown Minneapolis at time he was a junior/senior we were recruiting him.  He was MN ‘s best player basically.  Take about 10 degrees off the Lincoln temp - year-round and add about 3 feet of snowfall.  Snowmobiles are used alot!  

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

JD lived in Minneapolis area where winter is real.  Neb would have been easy by comparison. It was not weather.  

He choose to go to school in Texas, so what is to say it wasnt the weather?

Also in MN he had family/support system which he claims he didnt have in NE.

I have lived in both places and seasonal depression is real in both.

Whatever the reasoning was, I hope JD finds a great place to flourish at TCU and most importantly finds happiness. 

• Plus1 3