Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

19 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Every team has quite a few pot smokers.  If they did a study on the matter i would guess 25% of college football players smoke pot.  Not sure why its a big deal, when players that drink don't get the same type of scrutiny.  

I agree, but it’s the way it is. Per your 25% stat, I would be willing to bet Frost wants to be on the lower end of that figure and will curb that around his program, as long as it’s a rule.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, macroboy said:

We are right on the edge of this becoming the weed should/ should not be legal thread. I'm so excited.

If we could somehow work in Ron Brown, and N is for BoHate could post about how much he hates Bo we could have the dumpster fire trifecta!

C'mon Huskerboard. Let's get this!

I'm afraid you're about to get your wish. I can't even fathom why anyone would broach the pot smoking subject....again. My God, please, no.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Saunders said:

I wonder if it could be concussion related. JD's been knocked around quite a bit during his career.

I also had this thought.  He was hung out to dry by many a bad pass last year.  Took many shots I figured were game enders, but always came back and continued running those crossing routes.  A real stud.  Maybe he figures he'll sees nothing but more of the same this next fall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Thats a bunch of “stars” - somebody thot they had some skills / ability.  Did they come to NU or Mike Riley?   Its just troublesome to see so many unhappy student athletes - not to say some are moving on by mutual interests.  Just very curious as to what Frost has done or not done in some of these cases. 

The only player that’s done anything worth note on the next stop is Roberts.  We aren’t missing all that much.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, macroboy said:

We are right on the edge of this becoming the weed should/ should not be legal thread. I'm so excited.

If we could somehow work in Ron Brown, and N is for BoHate could post about how much he hates Bo we could have the dumpster fire trifecta!

C'mon Huskerboard. Let's get this!

Just checking in...carry on

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

I also had this thought.  He was hung out to dry by many a bad pass last year.  Took many shots I figured were game enders, but always came back and continued running those crossing routes.  A real stud.  Maybe he figures he'll sees nothing but more of the same this next fall.

To follow your logic he would have to be retiring from football if he doesnt come back.  Minnesota or the nfl arent going to be any easier on his body.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

To follow your logic he would have to be retiring from football if he doesnt come back.  Minnesota or the nfl arent going to be any easier on his body.

That’s my point.  He isn’t draft worthy right now, he likely gets picked up as a FA but has little chance of making a team.  He needed a good, healthy yr as bad as anyone right now to raise draft stock.

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Roster management is even tougher when you ultimately need to flip almost the entire roster.

The OL recruiting difference between Riley and Frost is night and day.

The walk on program also takes more than just a couple of years to be productive.

Frost has been getting guys to leave that simply didn't have what it took to compete at a B1G level.

That's actually pretty good roster management.

To the above yes.  To having only 2 receivers at spring that have ever caught a pass in college, no.  Not IMO. Frost has basically flipped the roster, but to the short term detriment?  I don't know.  This season should reveal a lot.  I don't know if we will see it in the W-L, but in the week in and week out performance.  I don't think this season wil leave many questions for fans.  I think we will have a barometer on the trajectory, but still think we are 1-2 years away from seeing what Frost and Co really want across the board.  

• Plus1 1

Selfishly, I have made comments about young guys needing to develop faster here. Skill guys at Nebraska should only need a year at most to get on the field. Well, the young guys will have no choice but to grow up fast and play. I am kind of excited about it, despite knowing how big of a loss this is.  

Feels good to be back on the  board. Why all the ads tho? :stir

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, N is for nowledge said:

That’s my point.  He isn’t draft worthy right now, he likely gets picked up as a FA but has little chance of making a team.  He needed a good, healthy yr as bad as anyone right now to raise draft stock.

Though maybe not draft worthy, I think he would find a foothold on almost any NFL team. Numerous undrafted players made it work as a receiver: Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Cole Beasley, Adam Thielen, Doug Baldwin as well our own Stanley Morgan. 

As JD is 23 years old, if this is possibly an NFL-related absence it is understandable if he decides to go that route and max out his chances for years in the league. If instead it is a transfer consideration, I would be disappointed. Otherwise, I can't blame him for taking the leave of absence to consider things.

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

To the above yes.  To having only 2 receivers at spring that have ever caught a pass in college, no.  Not IMO. Frost has basically flipped the roster, but to the short term detriment?  I don't know.  This season should reveal a lot.  I don't know if we will see it in the W-L, but in the week in and week out performance.  I don't think this season wil leave many questions for fans.  I think we will have a barometer on the trajectory, but still think we are 1-2 years away from seeing what Frost and Co really want across the board.  

We recruited a bunch of good receivers this year.  What else could Frost have done? He couldn't have known a year or 2 ago that all these guys would leave, or that J.D. would leave.  If we lose J.D. , were not gonna be as good as I hoped next year...we might not make a bowl without him.  But it shouldn't effect us long term since this would be his last year anyway.  Unless another weak record hurts us in recruiting, which is very possible.  No doubt about it this would be a big loss for next year, defenses would key in more on Wandale, as he would be one of only maybe 2 major weapons we have.  Wandale, and possibly Manning, are the only guys other teams will be afraid of.  Not that Mills or Martinez/McCaffrey aren't weapons, but they dont really strike fear into other teams with big play ability at least at this point.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Pedro said:

If we lose J.D. , were not gonna be as good as I hoped next year...we might not make a bowl without him.  

It is possible we fail to make a bowl but with all spring & summer to evaluate and adjust, the staff should be in better position to get creative knowing who is coming back and who isn't going to be here. Last year, Hunt and Legrone were expected to be two of the larger bodied receivers on the team and their suspensions left a clear size void. Hunt was listed as the projected starter all summer. With the influx of redshirts and newcomers, I think the team is more well-positioned to handle attrition though JD back would be a huge boost. 

• Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers