Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers

Hope he comes back. If he doesn't then I could see Hickman playing a lot more WR instead of TE. We have Stoll and Vokolek at TE with depth behind them.  We can still be pretty good at WR if Omar is even close to as good as we think he is going to be.  Pair that with Wan'dale and we could be solid.  I think Alante Brown will be a name to watch too.  He is on campus early and seems to have all the attributes needed to play in this offense.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

Just seems to be more bad news, everytime I log on. If JD doesn't come back, it will hurt the team, imo.

We haven't had any real senior leadership, for quite awhile and it doesn't look like it will be this year either.

We have had a couple good recruiting classes the last two years, hard to say if many of them can step up and be a leader, or any of them.

I thought this year would be our bowl season. Still think it can happen. Frost did it at UCF right, couldn't have just been lighting in a bottle season, right. 

I think he is the right guy, but I thought Bo was to. None of us know for sure. 

GBR!!!

1 minute ago, huskered17 said:

Just seems to be more bad news, everytime I log on. If JD doesn't come back, it will hurt the team, imo.

We haven't had any real senior leadership, for quite awhile and it doesn't look like it will be this year either.

We have had a couple good recruiting classes the last two years, hard to say if many of them can step up and be a leader, or any of them.

I thought this year would be our bowl season. Still think it can happen. Frost did it at UCF right, couldn't have just been lighting in a bottle season, right. 

I think he is the right guy, but I thought Bo was to. None of us know for sure. 

GBR!!!

By all accounts jd wasn’t a leader and didn’t want to be.  Our leadership has and will continue to come from frosts recruits, really like the way some of the 2nd yr guys talk and hold accountable others in their class, nows the time to expand that to the team.  The sky is not falling, it’s a set back, but nobody that’s chosen to leave, minus jd (which is still undecided), would have contributed meaningful snaps or production this fall.  People need to quit comparing unl to UCF, completely different situations, with unl being a much harder lift obviously, and it’s not even close.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

We ran the ball 60% of the time last year - I don't know how much more we can lean on the run game and not be super predictable at this point. If we had the pipeline back sure, but while we were decent running the ball last year we aren't good enough to beat good teams running it 70% of the time.

https://huskers.com/sports/football/stats/2019

Im not trying to be argumentative.... but im seeing 55%.   I think going up to 60-65% is enough to help our defense and cover our lack of recieving depth/steady qb play.    Of course we could have some of the young wide receivers develop and Martinez could return back to looking like an elite quarterback and then we don't have to worry about it.  But it's year 3 he doesn't have the luxury of trying to fit a square peg and a round hole just.  If our talent says we need to run the ball more hes gotta make it happen.  It's not an ideal situation. 

17 hours ago, macroboy said:

We are right on the edge of this becoming the weed should/ should not be legal thread. I'm so excited.

If we could somehow work in Ron Brown, and N is for BoHate could post about how much he hates Bo we could have the dumpster fire trifecta!

C'mon Huskerboard. Let's get this!

If Ron Brown wasn't so preoccupied with using his North Stadium office as the Bully Pulpit, he might have time to work with JD in the receivers' room. 

Did I do it right? 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

If Ron Brown wasn't so preoccupied with using his North Stadium office as the Bully Pulpit, he might have time to work with JD in the receivers' room. 

Did I do it right? 

Ron brown isn’t a coach, but that’s one hell of a dig.  I really don’t see what his personal views have to do with this situation specifically. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Did I do it right? 

3 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Ron brown isn’t a coach, but that’s one hell of a dig.  I really don’t see what his personal views have to do with this situation specifically. 

See the highlighted from his original post

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Did I do it right? 

Not only did you do it right, you took it to 11.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, melscott62 said:

https://huskers.com/sports/football/stats/2019

Im not trying to be argumentative.... but im seeing 55%.   I think going up to 60-65% is enough to help our defense and cover our lack of recieving depth/steady qb play.    Of course we could have some of the young wide receivers develop and Martinez could return back to looking like an elite quarterback and then we don't have to worry about it.  But it's year 3 he doesn't have the luxury of trying to fit a square peg and a round hole just.  If our talent says we need to run the ball more hes gotta make it happen.  It's not an ideal situation. 

I show 867 total plays, 323 pass attempts, and 544 rushing attempts - 63%. I'm assuming they're counting sacks as runs, so subtracting those (28) it's 59.5%. You might be looking at the opponents stats?

Fair enough though, and I wouldn't be shocked if we run it more. Just not sure more running would be a good thing. JD would be a big loss for sure though, maybe other guys break out but maybe they don't. At least we should have more RBs to use this year, so we can mix up the running a bit more. It took a while for Mills to adjust to the offense, and I think honestly took a while for Frost to figure out what he should/shouldn't call for Mills.

6 hours ago, talaricohusker said:

I heard that his parents pulled him for fear of the cornavirus hitting the college campus 

I thought the clinical trial testing the drug for the coronavirus was going to be at the Medical Center in Omaha..

https://www.ketv.com/article/clinical-trials-for-first-drug-to-treat-coronavirus-begin-at-university-of-nebraska-medical-center-covid/31099043

7 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Anyone else think moving Chris Hickman out wide until the summer would make sense to give us a 5th scholarship body out there? Not a permanent move, just to help with depth.

I could see that. You’d think a 6’6” guy out wide would come in handy in the red zone. TE should be solid enough with Stoll, Allen, Vokolek, and Rafdal. 

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Anyone else think moving Chris Hickman out wide until the summer would make sense to give us a 5th scholarship body out there? Not a permanent move, just to help with depth.

I am in the boat that Hickman needs to stay at WR because of his athleticism and height.

• Plus1 2
On 3/3/2020 at 8:23 AM, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

So the difference in narrative of him leaving for personal reasons compared to if he would’ve left for the draft is?

I even wonder if he retires from playing and takes a job in the Vikings front office...Watching some of those hits he took almost made my CTE flair up. 

Either way, I hope the best for him.

Image may contain: 1 person, possible text that says 'PLEASE COME BACK TO NEBRASKA J.D.! YOU'RE OUR ONLY HOPE!'

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I am in the boat that Hickman needs to stay at WR because of his athleticism and height.

Seeing Hickman at 6' 5" and Luke as 6' 3" ... the recent hit to the WR core as well as what we are looking for, it certainly seems that it would make the most sense to see both of these players move through spring ball with the intent of moving to these positions.  We are already wanting to add athleticism and height to the WR position, with the depth at TE Fidone in the possible hopper as well, I would think think that this is a winner.  

• Mavric changed the title to Spielman, McQuitty Depart Huskers